Author Topic: Gearbox shaft  (Read 962 times)

saltysealion

Gearbox shaft
« on: August 31, 2018, 05:50:07 AM »
There is a shaft that holds the gears in the gearbox.  I notice there are holes in this shaft and I assume this is for oil to come up and lubricate the gears during operation. Nice.

This means that the shaft is hollow and at the end of the shaft is a little cap that has been pressed in.

Whilst changing bearings, I managed to loosen this little cap and I've tried to press the cap back in but now I wonder if this needs to be air tight such that oil flowing in it does not leak out?

I can always add gasket at the end there to make a good seal?

I can add photos if need be.

teezer250

• NO TZR250 1KT 1986 ANY MORE
Re: Gearbox shaft
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:52:56 PM »
The cap needs to be tight so the gear oil is forced through the little shaft holes,lubricating the cogs.
Gasket sealant might not make a permanent seal due to oil pressure and heat generated by the engine expanding and contracting it,plus it could be forced out.
You may have to get the end welded up to make it oil tight.
On my clutch basket bearing,I put a 2p coin over the end of the shaft to protect the little cap from being disturbed whilst removing the bearing.

I recently had to buy a second hand full gearbox due to the original front sprocket shaft bearing collapsing and breaking up after 2300 miles of use after the engine had been stood for 15 years in my garage.
It dumped the oil over the rear tyre and locked the back wheel nearly throwing me off the bike.

After getting the bike home and taking out the engine and stripping it,the inside of the sprocket bearing outer race had rust patches and pitting.The opposite end push-on smaller bearing had seized and turned blue along with the end of the shaft.
The left hand side gear cogs teeth on both shafts were mangled along with the kickstart idler gear.

I bought 5 genuine yamaha gear shaft bearings for both shafts for the second hand gearbox and pulled the 2 large bearings off the sprocket and clutch basket shafts using bearing pullers.

loor

Re: Gearbox shaft
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »

It dumped the oil over the rear tyre and locked the back wheel nearly throwing me off the bike.

Lovely feeling. Been there as well. Especially when pulling the clutch wont fix your locking up rear.

About the plug: i'd try to bend the plug that it has a tight fit and glue it back in. Nothing wrong with that imo. You just have to be sure to not lose it while riding.

Good luck