Author Topic: Another 3XV project  (Read 37852 times)

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
Re: Another 3XV project
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2019, 06:49:08 PM »
Hope dvla hurry up ,summers over soon! Spoke to your contact bout my engine and various other bits, he reckons 8 -1200 quid, depending on how long it takes.Trying to sell a van at the moment when it goes ill be booking the bike in, then the dreaded registration ???

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2019, 10:36:03 PM »
Major milestone reached, my 3XV finally hit the streets today for the first time since it hit these shores back in April 1997.

Ok, the fuelling still needs sorting out and the speedo decided it was not going to work but providing it was kept on partial throttle nipping along the B roads all was good. The lack of weight and handling combined was a major revelation, even the sun shone for the duration  8) 8) 8)

Forever a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2019, 10:25:31 AM »
Looking good for the rest of the summer (BTW it ends this Friday !!!)
Uncle (Reverend) Phil !!!

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2019, 05:02:40 PM »
Looking good for the rest of the summer (BTW it ends this Friday !!!)

Cheers Phil, should be significantly better once the carburation is sorted, but it already is providing a very large grin  (-P)

p.s. I'm under no illusion that the 'project' will likely continue for a very long time, constantly 'work in progress'.  ::)

AndyYam

« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2019, 04:47:49 PM »
Hi Thump,

A great read. I'm about to start my import project so some really useful info there that will most likely save me a great deal of stress, time and money so thanks in advance!

Are the chain sliders still available? That looks like a consumable that I'l likely need.

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2019, 05:56:53 PM »
will most likely save me a great deal of stress, time and money so thanks in advance!

ROFL

Sorry We all thought that when we started ......

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »
will most likely save me a great deal of stress, time and money so thanks in advance!

ROFL

Nice one Phil  (-P)
Maybe tell the Wife the "save me a great deal of stress, time and money" scenario but in reality we all know better eh?  ::)

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2019, 10:30:27 PM »
Hi Thump,

A great read. I'm about to start my import project so some really useful info there that will most likely save me a great deal of stress, time and money so thanks in advance!

Are the chain sliders still available? That looks like a consumable that I'l likely need.

Hi Andy, the guys at HotFoot Moto only made a batch of them I believe so best email them to check if any remain. Gavin on here bought a couple fairly recently I think so fingers crossed but order sooner rather than later if they still have some.  (-P)

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2019, 11:06:52 PM »
I did indeed buy 2, they cost about £120 inc import duties, but they are 100% accurate , I didn't realise they were limited batch numbers, I reckon theyd still defo have some as they still weren't listed on their website, I had to enquire and they said they had some no probs

AndyYam

« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2019, 02:52:52 PM »

ROFL

Haha fair enough. Well we'll see how things go. I got the bike fairly cheap IMO, so happy to spend some money on it. Just grateful for this thread as a guide ......

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2019, 08:47:41 PM »

ROFL

Haha fair enough. Well we'll see how things go. I got the bike fairly cheap IMO, so happy to spend some money on it. Just grateful for this thread as a guide ......

Where are you located roughly, could have a bearing on sourcing parts and possible assistance from other members should you need to see another 3xv in the flesh as a reference?

btw... I also got my 3xv fairly cheap but the refurb still ran into the thousands  ::)

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2019, 11:21:18 PM »
Update. Discovered after the initial shake-down run that the speedo wasn't working and the left hand pot still is off song. Didn't get another chance to investigate until yesterday when the carb in question looked like this  :o

Tickover is lumpy on that cylinder and only clears once above 3500-4000 rpm, I dropped both float bowls but found little dirt at all. Next step is to revisit the suggestions received previously regarding idle/mixture setup but wanted to ensure the carbs were clear and inlet rubbers didn't have any issues. Stupid question, apologies, where is the idle jet situated in the carb? Is it above the float spring mechanism or elsewhere?

It was suggested that running the bike on the road should clear any carb issues but in reality cant see that happening so further investigation is needed before I lose the plot and swap it for a CG125 or similar  >:(   

P.S. Th pics are from the r/h upper carb which was seemingly running ok compared to the other one!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:23:45 PM by thump566 »

SeaR1ck

« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2019, 12:48:23 AM »
Are you running premix? That looks like rust to me by the colour of that fuel.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2019, 07:56:12 AM »
Are you running premix? That looks like rust to me by the colour of that fuel.

No, its on the standard R pump. There is an in-line fuel filter that had been replaced recently after the initial engine rebuild fuel filter had some crap in it though. The current filter is clear of any visible gunk.The tank had minor surface rust after sitting for many years but the majority was rinsed out.

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
Update. Discovered after the initial shake-down run that the speedo wasn't working and the left hand pot still is off song. Didn't get another chance to investigate until yesterday when the carb in question looked like this  :o

Tickover is lumpy on that cylinder and only clears once above 3500-4000 rpm, I dropped both float bowls but found little dirt at all. Next step is to revisit the suggestions received previously regarding idle/mixture setup but wanted to ensure the carbs were clear and inlet rubbers didn't have any issues. Stupid question, apologies, where is the idle jet situated in the carb? Is it above the float spring mechanism or elsewhere?

It was suggested that running the bike on the road should clear any carb issues but in reality cant see that happening so further investigation is needed before I lose the plot and swap it for a CG125 or similar  >:(   

P.S. Th pics are from the r/h upper carb which was seemingly running ok compared to the other one!

It might just be the picture quality but that fuel looks like sewage.