Author Topic: Track TZR 3MA - A Bike for Europe!  (Read 67175 times)

jools

• Senior Smoker
Track TZR 3MA - A Bike for Europe!
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »
Later this year I'll be starting to pull apart a 3MA I bought that was part set up for racing/track days, so I'm starting to think ahead.

being a bit green on this model of TZR, but having tuned and raced my 3XV, I would like to know what engine parts are useable from the TZ models - pistons, rods, bearings, cranks etc.

Has anyone done any work of this nature they would be willing to pass on ??

I plan to replace the troublesome carbs with either a pair of 36mm or 38mm Lectron Power jets that i have lying around. BBS Plastics have supplied a set of TZ bodywork including a seat and the bike will be stripped and lightened as much as possible
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:16:17 AM by jools »
Plus ce la change, plus ce la memchose

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
Re: TZ250 U/W/A Compatable engine parts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »
The 3MA motor has more in common with the 2MA than a TZ TBH, Jools. It's not at all like with the 3XV I'm afraid. Motor parts interchangeability between the reverse cylinder race and road bikes is pretty much Zero from what I've seen. They can still go very nicely though :).
Still Smoking...

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:11:12 PM »
Cheers Warwick - So I'd be better focussing on 2XT stuff then ??

I'll be rebuilding the 2MA F3 crank soon wich uses TZ rods and bearings (49V) so I should be able to do a comparison.

To be honest the bike has sat in the lockup since I got it. It wouldn't start and I had to much else on to spend time or get distracted by it.

epa police

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:03:30 AM »
Jools the U crank is a two piece crank but the rods look to be the same length and the centres are the same for each crank rod to rod, not sure of the rest because my 3MA crank is still bolted in the spare motor. The barrels will not bolt on the 3MA cases. If you want to try some U parts in the 3MA cases drop over and you can check against my spares and see.   

Toop

• Iwata sur Loire - France
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:31:12 AM »
it will be a good idea to mount rods 110 mm ...  ;D

TA will tell you thank you  O:-)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:32:54 AM by Toop »

Paul

• Mid Wales, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »
With all the raving you hear of the handling of the 3XV, you'll find the 3ma is very happy on the track.
As my old buddy from back in the day used to say "they roll nicely"
the twins:-
TZR250 3xv
TZ250 4DP2

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
Lovely, starting to look forward to tinkering again.

But first time to pack trailer ready for Phillip Island

TZR1ktF3

• Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »
I could measure the bold distance on the 3AK's i have laying around, you might modify them but its probably a money pit. Cant think of anyone who did that before thou
1KT F3

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 03:33:38 AM »
Well,

looking back when I started this thread its been a long month...... ;D

Finally dragged the bike out and on to the bench and set to work with the spanners - I was surprised by how many loose bolts there were - and no nut on one of the rear brake torque arm bolts  :o - good job i didn't get it fired up.
No major upsets or surprises during the strip down. Snorkels are gone and the airbox lid has some major cut outs in the top lid.
Engine will be dropped out this arvo to clean and check bottom end.

Pat I might bring it over to check some of those bits you mentioned ?

I would like to try and source some single ring pistons though.

Edd

• You are the creator of your own missery
Re: TZ250 U/W/A Compatable engine parts-TZR 3MA Racer Prep
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »
Hi Jools;

I am sorry to say but from my experience trying to source crank parts its a once of bike experimental every thing is diffrent ?:-|. Even big end bearing diameters is diffrent from normal Yamaha sizes you will find replacement diameter bearings but the width is the issue then.

The good news is Yamaha still supplies all the bearings and parts to rebuild the crank. Barrels and power valves is the parts that will get you they are very expensive if you can find them.

Edd
TZR 250 3MA1
TZR 250 3XV RS(Track)
TZR 250 1KT
TZ 250 3YL
RZ 350 Hybrid
YZ 250
RD 350 Hybrid

epa police

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 10:04:30 AM »
Well I think you can rule out U,W or A TZ pistons. Side by side 3MA and 3AK pistons.
Come over anytime and have a look.   

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 04:52:00 AM »
Cheers Pat, looks like the crown height is the issue - just like I had with the YZ125 pistons in my LC..................that's all sorted now. If you mount both pistons on the same piston pin side by side you can get a better idea  of how close they are. piston length is not so much of an issue.

Took the motor apart today, if the mileage is correct its done 41,000km..........

The pistons are still standard and well blowing but it looked like the engine had never been apart before.
P1010006_zps76ac0037 by Julian Hardy, on FlickrBut there was some old damage on the front of this piston, which hadn't stopped it running.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:05:07 PM by jools »

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 05:06:01 AM »
As usual the pistons were a pain to get off, and as I didn't want to risk bending the rods I resorted to my trusty home bodges pin extractors.

P1010011_zpsb08f393a by Julian Hardy, on FlickrFirst I use 1/4 drive extensions and a vice grip clamp (after removing the circlips of course!) with a bush that has a hole that allows the piston pin to slide through, and a radius to match the piston diameter. There is a second bush that is used once the piston pin reaches the end of the first bush.

If the pin is just too stiff to push out by hand I try this first.

If this doesn't work I resort to the original design that the bush was created for - it uses a long dome head M10 HT bolt machined down so that it will clear the hole in the piston. It has an O ring on it to give it some grip against the piston pin to stop it twisting.
The bush slides over the threaded part of the bolt sticking out of the other side of the piston. Then a nut is wound on and tightened up which gradually draws the piston pin out. again, once the pin hits the nut it has to be wound off and the second bush added and the process repeated. Job done and no bent rods !

P1010008_zps6c10bba1 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:10:47 PM by jools »

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 05:07:14 AM »
Question:

does this exhaust look like the de restriction mod has been carried out?

P1010005_zps00948a88 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:11:33 PM by jools »

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 05:13:29 AM »
As this will be a race bike I plan on using all the useful tips and mods detailed elsewhere.

The bike has an MMax box fitted, but I plan on not running the speedo at all. Will this likely cause any CDI problems ?

The loom will either be stripped apart, or I will look at seeing if I can use the couple of cannibalised 3XV looms I have to make a pure race loom.

I'm not planning on any fancy Zeel or Ignitech box, well just yet, but I'm considering a total loss electrical system with a small LiPO4 battery. That will allow me to junk the stator & rotor. Will a pickup & rotor similar to that which Louis uses be able to trigger the standards CDI without any problems ?