Author Topic: 3MA Mongrel  (Read 709 times)

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
Re: 3MA Mongrel
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 12:16:43 AM »
They are really sensitive to air screw position I find, and it does sound a bit lean at the bottom to me, so maybe try winding the airscrews in a bit to get a feel for the the effect it has?

The revs hanging up could be an air leak thing, but it's worth checking that the slides are snapping shut properly/fully too. The complex carb design, slide lifting system and cable arrangement can make setting the slide shutting a bit of a hassle. Pull the airbox off and watch what's happening with the slides when you (or a glamorous assistant) shut the throttle to see if that might be playing a part? 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:18:30 AM by Warwick »
Still Smoking...

drunkn munky

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 12:49:37 PM »
Turned the pilot screws to one turn out and it’s much better, bit of choke to start then it settles into a nice consistent idle without it. Could tell straight away by the engine note, responds as it should off idle no more coaxing it to pick up. Still a way to go but I’m happy now to take it out for a ride without fear of it dying on me every time I stop.
Revs don’t hang anymore and the throttle snaps shut.

https://youtu.be/BYCIr35Rqhw

However I’m pretty sure the oil pump is letting by, I have been running it on premix until the final run last night and this morning the bottom of the airbox was full of oil again as when I first bought the bike, took a good few kicks to get her going this morning so I assume carbs were over rich with oil too.

drunkn munky

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 08:29:42 PM »
Ticked a couple more jobs off the list today, airbox chopped and joined with silicone hose and the calipers unseized. Caliper pistons have seen better days so either a complete overhaul is needed or replace with something better, I prefer the later so will need to look into that.

Bike has seemed to develope an earth fault as wasn’t showing a neutral light today and upon fitting the indicators there not working properly either, hooked a multimeter upto the neutral switch and getting 12v with the ignition off and 6v with ignition on. Where abouts are the earthing points on these bikes?