Author Topic: Scotty 3XV SP '91  (Read 26812 times)

Scotty4321

Re: Scotty 3XV SP '91
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2017, 08:55:48 PM »
Hi Marlow,
I'd leave the paint dry for a hour or so then just be careful. Take all the masking paper off first
On the fine line I kind of bend it over so that the part just peeled off is doubled over and right above the tape still stuck on.Then pull it along the line of tape. Hope that makes sense. It comes off clean like that.
If you put plenty of lacquer on you can flat it by hand with 2500 grit then mop it to a glass finish. I haven't bothered yet though. Scotty

4l04ever

« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2017, 11:01:36 PM »
Are you going to post your latest dyno graph up??? :-)
3XV-1 Trackbike
TSA Pipes
30.5mm Carbs
Modified Airboxes
Zeeltronic Ignition System

3XV-1 Trackbike #2 project......

Scotty4321

« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the help yesterday. I'll have a go later. Been ages since I put any pics up. Cheers Scotty

Scotty4321

« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2019, 11:45:45 PM »
Been a long while since posting in this thread!
MOTed it recently and had a good blast out last weekend, didn't miss a beat in 50miles.

After a troublesome summer last year (I only really used it for half a track day at Donnington)
it appears that the replacement carb manifolds have sorted all my issues and its running great and even ticks over again.

I put and left some micro fibre cloths on the tank and whatever was on them has stripped off all the paint! I got tank sealer on it last year so it needed doing again anyway. Just ordered more paint and will do it in a couple of weeks as well as a replacement fairing Y piece.

Been having sinfull thoughts of selling the SP for a big bang R1 but need to sort the Aprilia RS250 first. Just sent it's crank off and going to refresh the top end. I figure with RSV forks and its larger stature, it  fits my 6'2" and 97KG better. Its not registered here yet though and needs painting also (paint also on order).
With the Superduke now sold I think 1 2T would be enough and I'd be better off with something bigger for longer trips.

No idea how 2T prices are going but sports cars have all taken a hit in this climate. I tried to sell the car and just gave up. Enjoy the weather Cheers Scotty

Steveog

« Reply #214 on: July 12, 2019, 02:11:38 AM »
Hi, Scotty.

I’ve owned and loved two R-1’s. If your budget is strong, yes get the latest, crossplane crank version.

If you can find a cherry version of a 2004-5 model, they were the last of the 5-valve head models, plus the the best looking Japanese sport-bikes ever made. My ‘04 screamed above 7K. Third gear power wheelies. It handled very well. With a bit of suspension tuning you’ll have true super-bike that will scare the Hell out of you.

Good for 100-150 mile trips. They are all a bit hard on wrists and backs.

Good luck.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

Scotty4321

« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »
I should keep and use it really, riding it back to back with the RS250.
I have no time and effort invested in the RS so would be easier to sell.
For £5.5-6k there are now some amazing big bikes about RSV4, 2009 R1 fireblades.
I’ve looked at the earlier R1 screamers but a cross plane motor on full chat or an RSV4 just sound as good as it gets.
Smaller bikes are more fun though, as you can ride them harder without going supersonic .
I bought a naked Superduke V twin version to stay more sensible, neck aches after 100mph
Last faired 4t was a ZX7R that was mental enough and was about 125hp.
Had KTM 660SMC supermoto after Kawasaki, loved it but vibes sent my hands to sleep. Was kickstart only on left and could be a pig especially in sun and leathers.