Author Topic: My unexpected 4DL project  (Read 75415 times)

Scotty4321

Re: My unexpected 4DL project
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 11:09:19 PM »
Steve,
Now the spending starts!!
The more you strip off the engine the less a rebuild will cost. you can send the crank and cylinder to different places though if you can strip it right down.
If you can get the bike under a beam you can just rope it up and remove the front end. A rear stand is pretty cheap
and would hold the bike vertically no problems.
You definitely need a piston minimum. Amongst other things it hasn't been warmed up properly before being loaded. That gives the "square/four corner" type scoring (differential piston/cylinder expansion) Cheers Scotty

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 11:49:29 PM »
Steve,
Now the spending starts!!
The more you strip off the engine the less a rebuild will cost. you can send the crank and cylinder to different places though if you can strip it right down.
If you can get the bike under a beam you can just rope it up and remove the front end. A rear stand is pretty cheap
and would hold the bike vertically no problems.
You definitely need a piston minimum. Amongst other things it hasn't been warmed up properly before being loaded. That gives the "square/four corner" type scoring (differential piston/cylinder expansion) Cheers Scotty

Hi Steve
unfortunately as can be seen in the photos the bike is outside the front of the house (no garage and no rear entrance)
I have the stand though.

I think it would be best to have a new big end along with all the bearings and seals,(are the crankshaft bearings pressed into the cases or onto the crankshaft or can you just tap them into place?

there is a bit of a ridge above the exhaust port so assume a re-bore would be needed (I take it its not plated) along with new piston.
so you think removing the side cases clutch etc would help?

is there anyone you would recommend to do the work a look on google has brought up edmondson.racing, Hertfordshire Superbikes,
or road and dirt.

can I find out anywhere exactly what model I have as will make ordering any parts a lot easier

TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

Fotis

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 12:46:16 PM »
its the first 4DL model
Your cylinder can be rebored so you can fit the next os piston e.g. from mitaka

I didnt get your question regarding the fuel tank... Maybe show it with pictures?
I guess your bike will need a total strip down, clean, paint and build with proper parts following the parts list and manual.

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
its the first 4DL model
Your cylinder can be rebored so you can fit the next os piston e.g. from mitaka

I didnt get your question regarding the fuel tank... Maybe show it with pictures?
I guess your bike will need a total strip down, clean, paint and build with proper parts following the parts list and manual.
Cheers Fotis
Yes  a total strip down is looking like the only way to go now (thought it was going to be a quick fix at the start) regarding the tank I'll try and get some photos up tonight.
As for the paint think I'll have to do the best I can as my limited funds will probably get eaten up with all the mechanicals that need doing and is getting longer by the day.
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 07:37:43 PM »
Underside of the tank

this is the little fellow looks like it should unscrew but does it?

here you can just see the pipe that it connects to it looks plastic so worried it will break if I try to hard to undo it to replace the rubber washer

TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

Scotty4321

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »
You could try these, not used them but well thought of in the RGV world:
http://www.thetuningworks.co.uk/assets/Engine%20Services.pdf
They will strip the motor and report back on what is required.

If you can strip it yourself then search the forum for crank rebuilding. People like Grampian get mentioned a lot, Yamaha or Dennis Trollop racing for crank parts.
Could try these for a rebore, looks pretty cheap. Check reviews though not used them.

Could leave that tank tapping it looks like it's just the spill outlet for around the petrol cap. Cheers Scotty

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »
thanks Steve
had a quick look at them they don't mention doing tzr work though.
engine wise I'm at a road block I've removed the side cases, oil pump, starter, clutch plates now it looks like I would need some tools to lock the engine to be able to undo all the tab locked nuts to be able to remove the clutch basket etc and thus split the main cases.

or do I just send it of as it is now and let them sort it.
oh another thought oil pump dose one service it (if it can be serviced) or replace it

below are photos off the original broken front engine mount and the shorter replacement without the rubber mounts
can I use it or do I need to get one like the original?

TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 10:05:24 PM »
forgot about the  tank tapping I don't think leaving it is an option as the rubber washer has disintegrated so its now loose so I assume the petrol will leak out, maybe I should fill the tank with water and check and if it does maybe could seal it with some resin of some sort
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

Fotis

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2015, 02:03:22 AM »
Why do you need to remove it though in the first place? Its plastic so if you force it, it might break...

So which engine mounts are the original ones? HAve you compared them with the parts list?
For parts, dont forget ebay.de . This model is quite famous there so lots of parts and postage not than expensive

Scotty4321

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2015, 03:10:47 AM »
I made a tool for locking the 250 clutch but you can buy them for about £20. You could pack it in a wooden box and get it all done.
For a 250 at least there doesn't look to be any parts for the oil pump. Not sure on 125. I started mine on premix, using the running motor to bleed it through and then put neat petrol in once it was proven. Puts too much oil in for a short time but makes sure.
On the engine mount they do not look the same to me. I'd get the original cleaned up and welded and spend the money on the motor.
Not sure on the tank overflow. Try petrol it's more searching than water, it could be sealed inside and the fitting into the tank, not the pipe as such. Cheers Scotty

yanw

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
I have heard that a gent called "Arrow" on the RDLCCrazy forum will service oil pumps. He also up-rates them for the people running Banshie/Big-Bore kits. I'm not on the web forum but they talk about him on the Facebook forum whenever oil pumps are mentioned.

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 09:39:33 AM »
Thanks guys think I'd be a bit lost without the help
Cheers Steve
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 10:44:01 PM »
I made a tool for locking the 250 clutch but you can buy them for about £20. You could pack it in a wooden box and get it all done.
For a 250 at least there doesn't look to be any parts for the oil pump. Not sure on 125. I started mine on premix, using the running motor to bleed it through and then put neat petrol in once it was proven. Puts too much oil in for a short time but makes sure.
On the engine mount they do not look the same to me. I'd get the original cleaned up and welded and spend the money on the motor.
Not sure on the tank overflow. Try petrol it's more searching than water, it could be sealed inside and the fitting into the tank, not the pipe as such. Cheers Scotty
well I've looked at the parts list and at least by that it looks like the engine mount I brought is the right one after all
so what the hell the broken thing that was fitted to the bike actually is I have no idea.
I get the felling this whole project is going to be 2 steps forward 1 step back
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
what's stripping the forks and rebuilding them like i.e. home job or not
I did a standard pair years ago on an old bmw r100rt but have no idea about these upside down jobbies
do I need any special tools
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

Louis

• TZR3MA
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 06:31:38 PM »
http://www.tzr3ma.com/paioli-front-fork.html

Not saying that this is how it should be done, but it works ;)

Cheers
King off all twostrokes ''TZR250 3MA''