Author Topic: Preventing exhaust port bridges stress  (Read 5492 times)

casal-fan

Preventing exhaust port bridges stress
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:29 PM »
After having seen a couple of cracked 3XV cylinders in the web, and having seen my own cylinder also cracked on both exhaust bridges, maybe a discussion about ways of preventing this is in order.
To the best of my understanding, this damage is caused by the stress the bridges are subjected to. They are always in contact with very hot exhaust gases, this making them expand/protrude into the bore, and be a very stressed part of the cylinder.
While this a well known problem to the single bridged engines, and the most common method of preventing this is relieving the bridge by couple of hundreds of mm, I couldnĀ“t find any reference to this method being used on cylinders with doble bridged exhaust port.
Pictures on the sugo manual seem to point to relieving the piston.

Now, since even std. 00cylinder exhaust bridges also have been proved to crack, and tuned engines even more prone to this happening, perhaps a healty discussion about ways to prevent this would be beneficial to us all.

The bridge relieving method looks like it is a better solution then piston reliev. I suppose that in theori, the reliev on the bridge(s) when done correctly will allow for a fully straight bore at ideal engine operating temperatures, while relieving the pistons is just a method of compensation for the deformation that occours at the exhaust bridges.

What do you guys think?

tzr-v4

• South West of France
    • French RD500LC Club
Re: Preventing exhaust port bridges stress
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »
From what I've read on RS250 or RGV250, the exhaust port bridge need to be trimmed down (lets say adding 0.03mm bore clearance) to avoid extra expansion due to heat as it is a thin part.
I could try to pick up some posts from the French 2 strokes forum.
Olivier.
TZR250 2MA & 2XT, RD500s et TZR-V4 building...

EEKNOWS

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:40 PM »
As with everything look to Aprilia. Bridges are 1.5mm wide and they NEVER crack, piston needs no relief or oil holes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsnzgsEXT_A

Not sure if it can be done after machining but would be worth looking at. Failing that oil holes and piston/bridge relief is all you can do.

mbsteve

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:12:41 AM »
I have had two cylinders that have cracked. one was a TZ250 4DP cylinder that cracked between the aux exhuast port and the main exhuast port. The other cylinder is one of my Hans Hummel cylinders and that one had two cracks. The cracks were between the the main exhaust port to the aux port then down to the main transfer.

As you can see that there is plenty of material on my HH cylinders
3MA
YZR500
TZ250 X 9
TZ350
TZ/RZ350
RG250
RGV250 VJ21
RGV250 VJ22

Neal

• Perth Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:33 AM »
Drill holes in the piston and counter sink them to help cool the bridges .
Even my new honda barrels cone relieved from the factory and they expand enough to show evidence of getting close to the piston .
unofficial lap record holder --- to be corrected one day !

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
I've never seen a bridge fail on a stock 3XV cyl myself. Had a couple of bridge cracks on modded cyls on the track bike(thinner bridges and a generally 'hotter' and harder working motor), but these have only been as a direct result of a heat/det induced seizure. Never had one fail during normal running. Yet...
Still Smoking...

casal-fan

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 01:11:11 AM »
I have one stock cracked on both bridges. Though the head that came with it was mutilated behond recognition by detonation.
But if measures can be taken to prevent this happening, no matter in wich circunstances, it would be positive.
A cracked cylinder, even if it can be repaired... it will always be a "patch" job imo.

mbsteve

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:50:39 AM »
I have not had any problems with "patch" cylinders and it has been a few years and still running strong with my Hans Hummel cylinders. Even if a cylinder that needs to be replated is still considered being patch. I am also with Warwick about how they crack and I also find is that normal maintance was not followed as to replacing rings and or pistions. With race bikes the rings are replaced after about every weekend or everyother weekend on the track. Pistons are replaced after the second ring replacement.
3MA
YZR500
TZ250 X 9
TZ350
TZ/RZ350
RG250
RGV250 VJ21
RGV250 VJ22

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »
The Sugo manual just recommends relieving the piston in that area, Rui. I do it (when I remember to  :-[) when rebuilding a track motor. For a  road motor though I don't bother.

I've not had any problems myself with repaired and replated cyls when I have cracked them though . 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:41:07 PM by Warwick »
Still Smoking...