Author Topic: 92 SP / R Mix  (Read 7647 times)

ybk

92 SP / R Mix
« on: December 05, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
Just picked up another stray  ;D Yuri was kind enough to point me in the right direction to find this one  8) Went to have a look and took it home stat  :D

It's a proper 92 SP but unfortunately somewhere along the way its motor was swapped for a stock R motor :'( :'( It's got the nice forks and swingarm but the rear shock is a painted yellow R to my disappointment.

It runs nicely and the motor sounds crisp. Apparently its got a few new engine bits but will have to see once it's on the autopsy table.

Interesting pipes it has on, right pipe looks a bit rough because it has been repaired a few times but the left pipe looks professional.

The flanges kinda look like Jackals

The motor is nice and clean, for a change it doesn't have a million years worth of burnt 2 stroke all over it  ;D

Color wise it has parallels with this fella :  ;D ;D  So it will change.. :D

Plan is to build nice track bike, this time round get the power closer to a proper SP. Would be nice to keep up with the 4 strokes on the straight.

It needs a lot of work to get everything up to scratch but it's a good base to start with O0

stroker3xv

Re: 92 SP / R Mix
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:09:19 PM »
Dam that is a nice find. Do keep me in mind in you stumble upon another one in SA
Yamaha RZ350 ypvs x2
Honda NSR MC28
Yamaha TZR 125
Yamaha LB 50
Yamaha TZR 250 3xv

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:13:57 PM »
nice will look forward to seeing what you do with it.
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

Yuri

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »
Now that the tread is up you can buy parts for it  ;)

Crank

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 01:07:50 PM »
That bike looks familiar!  ???

maccas

• East Yorkshire and Bristol UK
    • GasketGuru
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
Was there actually an oem 3xv in Kirin Mets colours? I've seen a few pics in the past but assumed someone had had the bike sprayed in those colours.

Dan

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
I think they must have been a special factory run or something, Dan. Certainly seen a few of them over the years. A nice bloke called Steve used to have one in the UK. He used to race it (in race plastics). Don't think he's on here and I'm not sure if he still has it as I've lost his contact details and his old racing webpage seems to have gone. A quick google turned these old pics up though: http://pigfarmerbikemagazines.co.uk/gallery/TZR250-3XV-%5Bstevie-b-racing%5D

A cool colour scheme, I've always thought 8).   

Good luck with it, Karl. Looks to be in generally good nick :).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:00:08 PM by Warwick »
Still Smoking...

ybk

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
Wow, of course! Cant figure out why I didn't recognize the color scheme! I've seen pictures of the kirin mets 3XV's and always wondered about it. My impression was that is was an 'OEM' limited run color scheme. Shame it was just an R.

The previous owner must have liked the scheme quite a bit!

maccas

• GasketGuru
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 02:29:56 PM »
Ah! Interesting!

Well those are R model plastics fitted to your bike Karl, the SP giveaways are a hole on R/H rear side panel for adjustment of the rear shock and a cut away on the fairing upper for access to the rad cap on the wider SP rad.

So it looks like the kirin mets bodykit has been fitted to the SP from an R model?

Dan

ybk

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
The bodywork has been sprayed, it's definitely not OEM paint, it has a signature of a local paintshop. Also the tattered side fairings only has the color on it, the kirin mets lettering is missing or never made it to the spray job budget , hehe

It has an odd mix op R and SP parts on it.  The fairings are all R, even clocks. Somebody ran off with  the SP motor >:( >:( and the rear shock. Looking at prices for SP barrels I wish for that engine back!

Want to get the paperwork sorted first before I start taking it apart...

jcsnook

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »
You still have a lot of nice SP stuff there Karl.   You have to be happy with that buy!
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

Yuri

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
He only payed R8000 for it  :o
( $551 usd , 507 , 366 )
Only sp parts are frame ,forks , swingarm and radiator

Scotty4321

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »
That's a heck of a bargain!
An R without an engine sold for 1k on ebay in a couple of days.

ybk

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »
Put some fairings on to get it through the roadworthy test next week, if I need to sell then a bike with good paperwork always helps.

Picked up some nice 92 SP cylinders, thanks to Yuri's help 8)

Now just heads, PV's .....

Yuri will be angry but what do you guys think about the following combination of parts, SP top end, Sugo CDI, SP pipes (DFR/jackal) but with 28mm carbs and airboxes... Will this be a workable setup? Would the 28mm carbs and boxes strangle it? Has anyone done a similar setup?

maccas

• GasketGuru
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 05:30:52 PM »
Warwick ran a similar set up for years. I don't think the 28's held it back too much in his case! If i remember right he was getting well north of 60bhp. When he switched over to the larger carbs he gained some more at the top end but i believe he added tz pipes at about the same time too.

Don't worry about the SP heads, save your money and stick some R heads on it with R type pistons or even 3TC tz or 89 yz dome top pistons. You'll need to lower the compression ratio with that set up and R heads will give you a good starting point i'd say.

Dan