Author Topic: 92 SP / R Mix  (Read 8384 times)

maccas

• East Yorkshire and Bristol UK
    • GasketGuru
Re: 92 SP / R Mix
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »

And open up the reed stops to give about 10mm of lift too maybe?

Just out of interest Warwick, have you done a back to back of increasing the reed valve lift? I'm still running the stock SP reed valve lift of 7mm on one side of the valve and 8.3mm on the other (can't remember which way around it is now. Interested to know if you found any gains there.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Re the stuck heads, try soaking in Acetone for a while, or even a bit of heat? Personally i'd give the heads a sharp rap with a rubber hammer on the water pipe. Or failing that a block of wood and a lump hammer should shift it without damaging anything.

Dan

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 09:31:55 PM »
No, no comparative tests I'm afraid, Dan. The stock R set-up has very little lift, so we just opened them up as far as seemed reasonable. Maybe the stock SP lift settings would work better though? Is there anything in the Sugo manual on reeds? (ages since I've looked in one). If not, then I'd guess the stock SP lift settings were good enough for the lads at YEC?

I'm with Dan on the heads Karl. Bit of heat, maybe a bit of a wiggle in the vice? Or a few sharp taps with a wooden drift through the bore ought to do it, I'd think - especially in conjunction with a bit of heat to soften the goo, maybe?   
Still Smoking...

ybk

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 02:11:42 PM »
Crank's out after a battle with the sealant that was used.

My thumb and the hammer made each others acquaintance towards the end so that was it for the rest of the day  ;D

Got the heads of as well, a piece wood tapped them off from the inside.

Would you guys re-use a head that looks like this?:

Next day was the forks, they are quite a bit easier than R forks, especially getting the damper rod assembly loose!

The old fork oil was a very nice shade of black  :o ;D

jcsnook

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 04:21:49 PM »
Good progress Karl!
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

ybk

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »
Anybody with higher mileage bikes - it would be worthwhile to check your swingarms for damage like this. It's now the second one I've come across. The chain eats through the plastic chain run guards, through the cups on the ends of the swingarm and finally starts chasing the bearings inside the swingarm! :o

Do you guys think it needs some aly welding or still OK?

Paul

• Mid Wales, UK
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2015, 05:31:23 PM »
Nasty.
Regards the head. Sure, I'd use it. Sand down the sharp edges and reinstall.
the twins:-
TZR250 3xv
TZ250 4DP2

Yuri

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
Anybody with higher mileage bikes - it would be worthwhile to check your swingarms for damage like this. It's now the second one I've come across. The chain eats through the plastic chain run guards, through the cups on the ends of the swingarm and finally starts chasing the bearings inside the swingarm! :o

Do you guys think it needs some aly welding or still OK?

If you are asking the question then do it for piece of mind

Paul

• Mid Wales, UK
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
Fill it with pratleys and fit a new chain guide
There's loads of strength still there.
the twins:-
TZR250 3xv
TZ250 4DP2

ybk

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
Caliper pistons..I know using compressed air or a grease gun can help to get them out. I don't want to split the calipers, so in that case you can only get one set of pistons out at a time, leaving the other side stuck inside the caliper. With the one side's pistons out you can no longer use a compressor to get the other side out.

What do you guy do?

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »
If not splitting the caliper, the easiest way to get them all out is to keep the hoses, master cyl and lever all connected up and use the hydraulic pressure to push them out using the lever (bolting the master cyl to a bar held in a vice makes it easy to control the pressure, but an assistant is very handy here. It takes a bit of juggling with wedges and/or suitable pliers etc. but you can work thus work all pistons to the point that they are about to fall out but the system is still sealed. Once at that point, you can just pull them out with your fingers. 

Maybe you can try the same thing with compressed air though if you can control it well enough? I've never tried that myself though - and you should probably proceed with caution of course  :-\.
Still Smoking...

ybk

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2016, 08:20:08 PM »
Yep, that was my plan but to get 1 piston fully out the other side can only protrude about 3mm, otherwise the piston wont come out, there's just no space :(

Will probably split them, whats the opinion on re-usuing the center half seals? Cant get new ones :(

Cruising-Blue

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2016, 08:34:05 PM »
Any particular reason why you do not want to split the calipers?  A couple of my pistons were very tight (partially siezed!), so I opted to pump them out hydraulically whilst the calipers were still attached to the bike.  I made up adjustable "U" shaped clamps out of two small steel right angled brackets to prevent the free-moving pistons from popping-out until the tight one(s) came up to meet them in the centre of the caliper.  I then split the calipers and had enough of each piston proud of the caliper to be able to grip "carefully" and work them out with a rotating motion. The corrosion I found in the seal grooves was really shocking and took hours to remove, so pulling the calipers apart was really a good move in my case to address this.  I guess the bike has been ridden by previous owners on salt covered roads - a problem I'm sure you don't have to contend with!  Anyway, new seals and discs fitted and the transformation is amazing!  Pattern centre seals are available on eBay, but my originals were a better fit and were in good condition, so I just re-used them - no problems!
3XV4 R
3XV8 RS

ybk

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2016, 08:54:12 PM »
Thanks for the info :) Can I ask what you used to grip the piston with to remove it without damage? I have killed some pistons in past with less that optimal gripping tools  ;D

I know what you mean by the corrosion, had the same with my other calipers, these seem ok though (except for the dust seals peeling out! ;D ) New seals, braided hoses and good pads make a huge diffrence, 1 fingered braking :D

I'll split the calipers, seems to be the best option.

teezer250

• 2 x TZR250 1KT's 1986
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:10:41 PM by teezer250 »

Cruising-Blue

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »
A couple of my pistons were swines to remove due to the corrosion under the seals.  I had to revert to wrapping the exposed part piston in a cloth and gripping carefully with large pipe pliers...For one piston, I ultimately ended up gripping the piston "skirt" with mole grips with the jaws wrapped in a cloth...it was a desperate move, but it worked!  I thought I had taken some piccies, but alas not!  A horrible job, but the brakes now are amazing - one finger as you say!
3XV4 R
3XV8 RS