Author Topic: New Girl  (Read 1426 times)

Ricky1KT

• Ascot UK
New Girl
« on: May 20, 2016, 07:51:26 PM »
Time to tinker :)

James P

• Sydney, Australia
Re: New Girl
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 03:39:06 AM »
Ah, you've got the 2AW YSP/Marlboro model. If it is "genuine", it is fairly rare - only 1700 frame numbers allocated (1KT-030101 to 1KT-031801), although they may not have used all of those frame numbers.

Were the decals ("Marlboro" and "TZR250") already missing? What plans have you got for it?

Regards,
James

Ricky1KT

• Ascot UK
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:04:53 AM »
Hi James,
It does fall within those numbers, so looks like a genuine one, thanks for the info :) Unfortunately the decal were already missing when I got it, will add them when repainted, plans are to sort all the issues and use this season as is, a bit crusty but a survivor  8)

James P

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 01:25:35 PM »
...Unfortunately the decal were already missing when I got it, will add them when repainted, plans are to sort all the issues and use this season as is, a bit crusty but a survivor  8)

Does it really need repainting Ricky? If you can get the correct decals, you could just clean up the bodywork and stick them on! Alternatively; you should be able to pick up a set of secondhand seat side panels from Japan (with decals!) for reasonable money. Any experienced vinyl cutting firm should be able to remake the large "Marlboro" letters using the Marlboro font. You could probably also get the "TZR250" decals remade with a good quality photo or scan - let me know if you need any dimensions of the letters and I will measure mine.

I'm not sure how "crusty" the bike is - it looks like a good original in the photo. You may like to consider just dismantling, cleaning up, replacing anything worn or broken and then re-assembling it. That would still be a worthwhile project and be cheaper than a full restoration.
Of course it is your bike and you can do it how you like, but they are only original once! Keep us updated.

Regards,
James

Ricky1KT

• Ascot UK
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
It does need paint, but have decided to leave as is, it's only original once, The plan now is to do a rolling resto, going remove bits to restore, repair and replace where neccessary, thanks for the offer for decal dimensions, I may just take you up on that  ;) It's been keeping me busy, lots of jobs completed, it still amazes me what genuine parts are still available  8)

Ricky1KT

• Ascot UK
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:01:11 PM »
As it stands today, a lot cleaner, all missing parts sourced and fitted, now trying to source somebody to braze holes in the petrol tank, hopefully get to ride it soon, on a private road, of course.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:45:13 PM by Ricky1KT »

allspeed

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 01:22:09 AM »
solder works to. esp if its around brakets its leaking. run water throght it . an then put feul cap under a diesil exhaust an let the fumes run in it, that way its never going to ingnight. Sorry for spelling as its shit :o