Author Topic: Tzr250 2ma powervalve question  (Read 2355 times)

brett89

Tzr250 2ma powervalve question
« on: July 12, 2016, 07:27:54 PM »
Hi all.

I got my engine in and piped up.
Gave it a kick and it fired up, but there's no movement from the powervalve motor or the powervalves?
There's no ignition switch on it just an on off. I still have the plug there for the ignition switch but it will mainly be a race/track bike so just a switch would be ideal.

Any ideas?

leem6208

Re: Tzr250 2ma powervalve question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »
My racer runs without ignition switch, just the on/off. The YPVS system cycles when i switch it to ON, so it may be the motor or controller that are the problem. Do you have someone with spares that you can plug in and try?
My road bike was fine(when i blew the pistons) and after putting the rebuilt engine back in the YPVS refused to work, the control units can go without warning. Nice chappy in Athens did a great job in rebuilding/servicing mine and it works a treat now.

Sorry i'm not much help.
Why oh why did i buy someone elses project.........

2MA special(road)
2MA race bike

brett89

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:28:26 PM »
Thanks, that's what I wanted to check, if it cycles when the switch is turned on.
I do have another tzr that has one on that I can try.
I'll try it tomorrow and get back to you.
Am I correct in thinking they have to have a battery on for the 12v to the powervalve motor?

Is there anyway of testing it?

Thanks for the reply

leem6208

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »
My race bike has a battery eliminator and the road a normal gel battery, they do need a 12v feed.
As for testing the motor, there must be a way but i'm not an expert i'm afraid. I always carry a spare motor and switched the ypvs controller from the race bike which gave me that bad news. If its the controller, i was put onto 2t racelab which are Athens. He did an amazing job and quick turnaround for sensible money. Controllers are quite hard to get hold of and command quite a bit of money with no guarentee.
If its the motor itself, they are quite easy to get hold of through fleabay or from here, my new spare came from Malc.

2MA special(road)
2MA race bike

brett89

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 08:26:06 AM »
I have a battery eliminator from 2t race lab.
How do you get the 12v to the motor without a battery?

leem6208

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:11:55 AM »
It just works on mine, thought thats what they did?

I know its basically a large capacitor and when running stores a charge. I run mine up every week or so and it keeps everything moving. My plan was to switch to a very small battery on the racebike when funds allow me to do the last couple of bits(trackday has shown shock to be scrap) 

2MA special(road)
2MA race bike

brett89

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 09:36:05 PM »
Yeah I just assumed you'd need a battery for the motor.
I think either my motor or my controller is dead as I'm getting nothing with or without a battery.
The engine runs though

leem6208

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »
Mine did exactly the same thing, unfortunately due to medical reasons my engine was on the workbench for a year or so before it got put back in. Same as, just wouldnt play. Can only suggest swopping bits over from another bike before parting with cash. My money would be on the controller, was said to me that they just pack up when they feel like it(after almost 30 years its undertandable).

2MA special(road)
2MA race bike

brett89

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 10:49:38 PM »
Yeah that's true, surprised most of the bits have lasted this long.
I'll try the one off the other bike tomorrow.
Fingers crossed.

brett89

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 10:31:12 PM »
Ok so I've got my servo motor working when I turn the ignition on now,
But I don't have anything on the rev counter. The powervalves are meant to open at 7k aren't they?
It's been bored and honed so I'm not going to just Rev it up that high yet.

Also, where does the flat spare connector go that is in the stator wiring? I believe it's the neutral switch but I can't see where it goes?

leem6208

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 12:45:06 AM »
Off hand i don't know where that goes.

If i can get through the garage on my crutches i'll have a poke about at mine and see where it connects.

What was upsetting the pv's?

2MA special(road)
2MA race bike

brett89

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »
Thanks buddy.

Well I put the original ignition switch on, and a battery, tested the servo and then turned the ignition on and it worked, so I think somewhere I just need to bridge two wires on the ignition wiring so I can just use my flick switch.

leem6208

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
Can't get to the bike as other half has buried it behind hers....I'll get her to shift it when she's home tomorrow and see if i can have a look.
As you say its for the neutral switch, but from memory cant remember if it plugs into the loom or somewhere else.

2MA special(road)
2MA race bike

Malc

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 12:51:50 PM »
Thanks buddy.

Well I put the original ignition switch on, and a battery, tested the servo and then turned the ignition on and it worked, so I think somewhere I just need to bridge two wires on the ignition wiring so I can just use my flick switch.
If I understand this correct, you want to use the kill switch as an on/off? That's not a good idea - the kill switch only earths the CDI (for some reason when the CDI is earthed it cuts out the ignition circuit on Yams) but nothing else. Everything will still be live, and your battery will run down pretty quickly as a result. You really need a switch of some description to isolate the battery, which the ignition switch does.

Please ignore this post if I've completely misunderstood your intentions... ;)

Mick

• Mansfield,England..
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »
On my Track TZR the ignition is through the light switch,flick it from OFF all way over to LIGHTS and you hear PV cycle,and you need kill switch to turn off engine.
Twitchy left hand rider ;-)