Author Topic: 3XV  (Read 3131 times)

judgie250

3XV
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »
So I brought this 3XV last year and stripped it pretty quick but since then been pre occupied with work and other bits n bobs. Time to stick some pictures up and show the world the progress.

Overall the bike seems in pretty good condition for its age. The engine has been vapour blasted and come up beyond excellent.

Will stick more pictures up as I go and no doubt be asking some questions as I'm definitely no expert on these.

ybk

• Admin
Re: 3XV
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »
Very nice! I love the finish vapour blasting gives, yours came out very good. Much easier than hours of degreasing engine cases ;D

yanw

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
Very nice. If you are missing the "Yamaha" connecting piece/badge between the rear panels let me know ;). You don't often see black ones.

vinny

• Kildare, Ireland
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »
Nice looking machine .
3xv racebike, 4dp racebike,
3xv roadbike, zxr 636,tdr125, crm 250, vtr 250,

judgie250

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:56:36 PM »
Very nice. If you are missing the "Yamaha" connecting piece/badge between the rear panels let me know ;). You don't often see black ones.

It's not black anymore.  :-\

The fairing was really tatty and damaged, wear and tear not been thrown down the road. Currently being repaired and painted but need to find someone to make the decals, just the Yamaha and TZR ones. Going to try Image works tomorrow to see what they can do?

judgie250

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 11:53:27 PM »
The project hit a brick wall  :-\ but there’s light at the end of the tunnel! The bike went off to paint and it had been there until this week.

The plan is to make it as clean and standard as possible. I’m slowly making my way through the bike working out what can just be cleaned, what needs stripping back and re painted and then any new bits.

Wheels and swinging arm need powerdercoating so if anyone has any recommendations around the Northamptonshire area, it’d be appreciated.

Also what’s people’s thoughts on the exhausts. I plan to replace the end cans but leave the rest standard. Their a little pitted with rust but tempted to vapour blast them back to bare metal and see how they look? Anyone tried this? I guess worse case if they look plop is repaint.

I’m sure I’ll have more as the next few weeks progress. Cheers for now

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 12:49:08 AM »
Thats good progress! Exhausts I generally sand down and coat with high heat satin black spray paint (vapour blasting would be cool though!)

The tank looks really accurate 8)

judgie250

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 08:56:25 AM »
Exhausts and a few other smaller bits are off to the vapour blaster today. I’ll post some before and after pics once their done.

Next up is powder coating. Wheels will be done but the swinging arm has little chips here and there plus after all the years it’s starting to show it’s age. Question is, do I powder coat just the swinging arm or is it best to do the frame as well to ensure they match?
Has anyone any experience of doing just one and not both? And lastly any good recommendations of powder coaters who can match the blueish black paint code?  (-P)

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »
MMax bolt straight on to std exhausts. Give a nice sound but don't improve anything. The exhausts are still restricted.BTW those end cans are for sale

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:38:42 PM by mellorp »
Uncle (Reverend) Phil !!!

Andy Bush

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
I couldn’t find a powder coat finish that matches the blueish grey standard colour,
So I took the swing arm to the paint supplier, and they matched it in aerosol for me. Seat W72. So be putting a top coat on over the satin black powder coat. Then laquer.
Yet to apply, so unsure of the match as yet.

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 10:36:27 PM »
Also just got the frame color matched in an aerosol, I prefer paint over powder coat. I was really sceptical whether they'll be able to match it but it turned out rather well, even down to the fine greenish pearl flake..

Just a test to see the match (still needs clear coat though):

judgie250

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 02:28:20 PM »
Cheers for all the help so far...

This project seems to be doomed, I dropped a box bits off to be vapour blasted, powder coated a few days ago and had a horrible message to say the the unit burnt down last night! It doesn’t look good for anything surviving it!!

Now I’ll be searching for the following;
Rear sets including linkage
Front callipers
Top and bottom yoke
Front cowl, headlight, clock bracket
Front fairing stay/bracket.
Clip ons

Luckily I didn’t leave the swinging arm, wheels and exhausts there  ???

On a plus, I think I’ve sourced some cans from Malaysia, just waiting to here on shipping cost. Will post a pic when I find out for definite.

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »
Have a look at this fairing. Not seen one myself. Weird thing is the NSR MC21 version is brilliant, and the RGV version isn't !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unpainted-ABS-Plastic-Motorcycle-Fairing-Kit-Yamaha-TZR250-3XV-1991-1996/302573534407?hash=item4672c9bcc7:g:CysAAOSwJ6Nb9sOJ:rk:1:pf:0
Uncle (Reverend) Phil !!!