Author Topic: 1kt Clutch Noise  (Read 541 times)

robel

• Putting a stock TZR250 1KT back on the road.
1kt Clutch Noise
« on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »
I need to fix clutch noise on my TZR250 1kt.
When I pull the clutch in in neutral I get a nasty 'grunchy' noise.  When I take the clutch housing off I find that the thrust rod (the bit with the slots in to engage in the gear on the clutch operating arm) is flopping about through the pressure plate.  The hole through the plate is much bigger diameter than the shaft of the rod and there are bits of chewed metal around it.  The rod looks good so I guess the problem is in the plate.  Should there be a press fit sleeve in the pressure plate or what stops it wobbling about?  Do I need to get a new pressure plate?
There is a washer between the needle rollers on the thrust rod bearing and the pressure plate but the hole in the washer is quite a lot bigger diameter than the pressure rod shaft.  Also what keeps the washer centred - it seems to 'float' on the back of the pressure plate.  Should the hole through the pressure plate by a tight fit (i.e. no play) on the pressure rod shaft?  Thanks for any help.

robel

• Putting a stock TZR250 1KT back on the road.
Re: 1kt Clutch Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »
Should have looked at the big picture.  I realise the thrust rod end goes into the outer cover to hold it in position.  The hole in the pressure plate is just a clearance hole.  All this stuff looks good, bearing, washer, outer cover etc.  so the noise must be coming from behind the clutch stack, I will carry on investigating.