Author Topic: CMR TZ750 Build  (Read 3677 times)

jools

• Yes, we have no Bananas
Re: CMR TZ750 Build
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2017, 01:40:47 AM »
Clutch Time

While I'm waiting for the unique inner crankshaft seals from Trollopes I thought I would look at the clutch.

I don't have a spare TZ750 clutch so I investigated using an alternative - a Ducati Dry clutch which is common to 996's and other models.

Picked up a used one from the USA to look at modifying as the best option, but with a Barnet clutch basket to which the back-plate can be riveted. Care needed in the choice of basket as many alloy replacements have cut outs which are no use for this application so this Barnet ticks both boxes.

PA230004 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr

The only major problem is that the input shaft of the TZ Gearbox has six splines

PA230003 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr

Whereas the Ducati clutch boss has a slightly different arrangement

PA230002 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr

The plan here is to bore out the Ducati boss and machine in the 6 matching splines using a broaching tool and the rotary attachment on the milling machine drill press. OIne of the trickier bits of machining required on this project.

I manged to pick up a TZ750 clutch basket to remove the back plate from. The hardest part to find will be the large centre needle roller bearing which is NLA, so I may have to do some work to fit a close match.
Plus ce la change, plus ce la memchose

No.406

• Lee
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
Good grief.  Splendid and valiant effort piecing the beast together.  Duck clutch, Kawi wheels, R6 forks, one-off bits everywhere... my hat is off.
1991 TRZ250R | 3XV-047***

James P

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 10:58:23 AM »
The hardest part to find will be the large centre needle roller bearing which is NLA, so I may have to do some work to fit a close match.

Jools,

Does this needle roller bearing only "roll" when the engine is running with the clutch disengaged (i.e. clutch lever pulled in)? If so, could you use a sintered bronze bush instead? I presume the Ducati bearing/bush doesn't fit...?

Regards,
James

jools

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 11:48:51 PM »
No James its the main support bearing between shaft and primary driven gear. 45mm x 45mm x 30mm long. There is an INA item that is 27mm long so will need thrust washers making up for each side.
Having trouble finding a primary driven gear - with out this its dead in the water............

EEKNOWS

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
No James its the main support bearing between shaft and primary driven gear. 45mm x 45mm x 30mm long. There is an INA item that is 27mm long so will need thrust washers making up for each side.
Having trouble finding a primary driven gear - with out this its dead in the water............

Just have one made, Coljen in Heidleburg West.

jools

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »

You read my mind,  ;) I spoke with them earlier today, after talking to Ditch,  and will probably get 4 or 5 made since they are in short supply.

Hoatso

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
Jools, why not make a V8?

jools

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2017, 03:42:03 AM »
I don't think that would corner well............

EEKNOWS

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »

You read my mind,  ;) I spoke with them earlier today, after talking to Ditch,  and will probably get 4 or 5 made since they are in short supply.

Be sure you mention the fragility of old Maico's you will land a good bite there  :)) (Col married well known Maico dealer Keith Stackers daughter and they now operate from the same location)

jools

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2017, 02:04:31 AM »
Not sure I want to wind him up before he finishes the gears...... ;D

It sure is a slow process building one of these motors from scratch - not a job for the impatient millenials !!!