Author Topic: 3xv hard to get into neutral after bump start  (Read 1288 times)

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
3xv hard to get into neutral after bump start
« on: April 21, 2018, 11:22:51 PM »
Hi all, another post asking stupid questions, from newbie 3xv owner  ;D Right, took the bike for mot yesterday, ( passed with flying colours) started 2 nd kick, no probs, only 2nd time ive ridden it. This morning got bike out to give it a proper ride, and.....flat battery. ( I know, their known to be not great) stuck a charge in the battery, it charged to 13 volts, but started falling as soon as I put a tester on it. Took a chance and took it out, stopped for fuel, and you guessed it , bike wouldn't start. luckily I was near sloping road so, wheeled it down the road a bit ,coasted down , and bumped it first time, took it for a blast, changed up and down with no problems at all. On arriving home the bike wouldn't go into neutral for love or money, tried and tried, woudlnt go in, turned off bike, and when I tried to restart stone dead, so new battery on order. Put bike in garage, took battery out and recharged, stuck it back in bike turned on, and headlight came on but no dash lights, turned off then on again, oil light on, clicked gear lever up, bike went in to neutral ok , green light on. has bumping it done it a mischief? ive recently changed the gearbox oil with elf htx 740, recommended for dry clutch motors. Am I being a tw@t or is something amiss?

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
Re: 3xv hard to get into neutral after bump start
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:46:07 PM »
Sounds more like a clutch issue to me - not disengaging properly when it's warm? Might be worth a bit of fiddling with the adjusters before doing anything else?

Poor battery charging might be the reg/rect wiring connector or earth wire. Check the connector block at the reg/rect unit and that the earth lead is soundly earthed.

If it's one of the later models with the always-on headlight it might be worth converting to an ealier model switched headlight setup as the headlight power drain can make them difficult to start with anything other than a fully charged battery. With the headliht switched off they'll start easily enough without even having a battery fitted at all  (-P).

Still Smoking...

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 12:15:08 AM »
Hi Warwick, yes it is a later model, 94 rs. Always thought it a design flaw of any vehicle, (inc my transit) to have the lights on permanently, a  right drain on a weak battery. Thanks for those pointers, will look into the clutch,so you reckon just slightly tighten?adjust the cable and see if that helps? and it had cooled down when it finally went back into neutral.The batterys are only 24 quid locally, ill fit a new one, and if it doesn't hold a charge ill know its something other than the battery itself, and ill start with your suggestions,cheers!

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:07:38 AM »
Oil light only comes on in neutral (if oil tank is full). If the oil tank is empty then the oil light stays on
The battery will discharge in no time if not kept on charge. If you turn the bike on and kick it half a dozen times the battery will lose it's charge. It has no effect on starting the bike.
Is the fuel tap on prime ? If it is the carbs will flood. Is the fuel tap vacuum pipe attached ?
Put the choke on full and swing on the kick start. Shouldn't need any throttle until it fires. Usually 2 or 3 kicks unless it's been stood a few months when it takes a bit more.
Did you change the plugs ?
Once the engine is running put a volt meter on the battery and check the voltage
Not sure why you can't get it in neutral, as it was never a problem ??? Did you adjust something when you changed the oil ? Maybe the cable has got trapped ? You should have a set of spare clutch plates. Measure the exiting ones against the new ones to see if they are worn out (I doubt it)
Uncle (Reverend) Phil !!!

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
Hi, phil yes changed plugs, bottom cylinder plug a bit oily and pipe smoking more than the other? Changed gearbox oil to correct level, and did not fiddle with anything else, as i say it changed up and down perfectly, while riding just didnt want to go in neutral on arriving home, tried it several times since while stationary and it pops in everytime, just need to ride it again to test it after riding when its warm, ive slightly adjusted the clutch cable, but not sure it would be that when ive got perfect gear selection whilst riding. Ill ride it again and report back.But its putting a big grin on my face,i love it!

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
P.s yes fuel tap vacuum pipe is attached