Author Topic: Japanese '91 3XV deresriction  (Read 2245 times)

Steveog

Re: Japanese '91 3XV deresriction
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 12:58:50 AM »
Here's the communication from Moto 2: "We've been heat cycling the engine since last week and gave it a light run on the dyno today."

Sorry I wasn't more specific. The comments about the carbs being jetted rich,etc. were my conclusions, not facts reported by Moto 2. Moto 2 comment sounds as if this was the first time on a dyno.

Thanks to you and Mellorp for sticking with me as I ask somewhat ignorant questions about this bikes. Every piece of intel helps.

What do you think about Geko Imports-UK. Their comments about our goals have matched out very closely with this Forum. Here's their idea for future upgrades. "Either port the R cylinders and fit skimmed and re-profiled heads.... or better still fit SP cylinders & heads, race exhausts, if you can afford big 32 or 36mm carbs and a Sugo CDI. Make it breath and fire better. It's restricted by poor porting, low compression and retarded ignition."

Believe I read here that the Sugo Black Box was not programmable and Zeetronics was the Box of choice.

Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

SeaR1ck

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 02:04:33 AM »
Zeel is the way to go the old sugo boxes are pretty much obsolete now. The bigger carbs not easy to find especially the reed block manifolds that go with them they are not cheap.

If you want to be successful with owning the bike you do what many of us do and setup an account with a broker so you can buy used parts etc from Japan. Through Yahoo auctions japan and I would recommend buying parts from japan as well through like webike japan spelled web!ke.

The broker service I have been using for 10 years now is called Rinkya owned by American Japanese family. Thier service is excellent and they speak good English. Best of all they offer FedEx shipping instead of just post office. Which gets around post office restrictions on size or oily or gas related parts.

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
Mellion say If it ain't broke thrash it until it breaks

Steveog

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
Yes, I am. But, I'm also gathering info from multiple sources, which mostly agree. I'm guessing you, as with SeaR1ck, disagree with Geko Imports, UK opinion on the Sugo Black Box.

I guess I'm also just so "F"ing jazzed about this bike that I can't stop talking about it to people such as you. Also, wanting to help my partner make good decisions. As I said, its his money, but my shop and our mutual desire for one more chance to get to the racetrack that makes us partners. That and a 40 year friendship. I sent him SeaR1ck's last post, trying to get him off of thinking about Sugo's Box.

For the record: We are going to follow the advice given here and our old TZ racer-friend: Ride it. Adjust suspension to taste. Get a baseline dyno pull. If all seem good, take it to the track in late April, then if we feel we need more HP, only at that point will we consider upgrades.   

Attached is a track map of a great facility that lives about 1.5 hours from us. It belongs to the National Corvette Museum. We've ridden this track last May @ California Superbike School. Smooth and clean. Their stock, rental BMW S1000RR eats up the Turns 3-5 just as you top out in 3rd. Should be a good test of the TZR.

Thanks to you and all for your help and patience.
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

SeaR1ck

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »
You see the 3xv from deftones it's listed as a 92 but it's really a 93 RS model. Sometimes in Japan the year the bike came out in the owners will says it's a 92.

Steveog

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »
Gentlemen, I need help. The TZR is on a truck headed our way, but we need the length of the rear axle as measured from just outside the chain adjuster to the other side, so as to properly fit the bike into chocks mounted into our team's hauler. Too late to get that info from the dealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a stock '91 TZR 3XV (R Model)

Thanks in advance.

ybk

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 10:31:16 PM »
Rough estimate measure while still in the bike the rear axle itself is around +- 335mm.  Sticks out on each side of the swingarm around 18mm.

Steveog

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 10:51:12 PM »
Many Thanks, ybk. I've forwarded your info to my partner.

You have just helped a couple of old guys get that much closer to getting the TZR into our team garage.

Steve

muz_j

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 02:58:41 AM »
...The bigger carbs not easy to find especially the reed block manifolds that go with them they are not cheap.

Mikuni TMX carb's are an option - which I've gone with myself. I gave consideration to other options and discussed ideas with a couple of people - including Dan @ Gecko, but I decided that the TMX's were the best option for me (and they were available easily from a Mikuni reseller in Australia, which is pretty close to NZ where I live). They should be available through any Mikuni reseller.

Agreed re: the Manifolds - you need to hunt around to find them. I purchased mine from Gecko Motorcycles when Dan had some in stock. The biggest size ones fit my TMX35's perfectly.
I'm currently resolving a minor issue with the right side carburetor cable length, before testing the bike properly and checking jetting etc.
I'm following advice from Mikuni and setting the carb's up without power jets initially and I'll fit the power jets to the carb's later.

maccas

• East Yorkshire and Bristol UK
    • GasketGuru
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
TMX 35's don't fit 3xv SP carb rubbers without mods.

Their spigot is 40mm OD when it needs to be 44mm.

Dan

Hoatso

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 02:54:57 PM »
I put a Zeel on my stock '91 R model and was very happy with the result. It runs and revs cleanly. It also removes the high-speed limitter and the kickstand switch.

Since it is programmable, you can tune it to optimize any mods like porting, pipes, compression, race gas, etc.

muz_j

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 09:02:03 PM »
TMX 35's don't fit 3xv SP carb rubbers without mods.
Their spigot is 40mm OD when it needs to be 44mm.
Dan

Errr - actually they do. I have  a set fitted to my bike right now using SP manifolds.
They fit perfectly - no mods required and the spigot diameter matches the manifolds perfectly.
Your comment re: the Spigot measurement is correct (http://www.mikunioz.com/shop/tm35-1-35mm-tmx-mikuni-carburetor-for-2-stroke-125cc-race-engines/) but in reality they match up fine. The manifolds on both the reed block and airbox sides fitted fine.

I actually discussed this Martin & Warwick from this forum just prior to ordering them.
I can prove it with measurements and photo's.

So yes - they are an option :)
Perhaps you should clarify what you meant regarding required modifications...?
Given my bike has its fairings off, it's easy enough for me to take photo's of them installed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:07:56 PM by muz_j »

maccas

• East Yorkshire and Bristol UK
    • GasketGuru
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »
Airbox side, yes that's the same as the 3xv big carbs.

I just don't see how you've closed up 4mm in diameter in the reed block rubbers? Surely the carbs were falling out of the rubbers?

Photo's would be good if you have time please.

Dan

muz_j

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2018, 12:40:40 AM »
Sure - I will take a couple of photo's over the next day or so.
Reed block manifolds were listed as being SP models from Gecko, but I can check the model numbers on the parts too.
...anyway - I'll take a couple of photos later and add them to this thread :)

Steveog

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2018, 01:17:35 AM »
I've seen Lectron carbs on TZs. Can they be used on our '91 TZR (R).

We're not ready for bigger carbs, yet. Just curious.

Again thanks to all. You information is highly prized.