Author Topic: Japanese '91 3XV deresriction  (Read 3692 times)

jcsnook

Re: Japanese '91 3XV deresriction
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2018, 12:22:41 AM »
Have you gotten your bike yet Steve?  I'm another US guy...a Floridiot, to be specific.  These guys on here are a wonderful, knowledgeable resource for everything TZR, that's for sure.  They helped me sort out a barn find (not really) basket case 3XV9.  It's fully de-restricted now and makes 57 RWHP.  It's a hoot to ride, and would probably make a great track bike, but I use it on the street.  As others have told you, parts from Japan are the way to go.  I've spent some $$ sourcing them for mine, and having them shipped from overseas, pipes included.  I'm slowing putting mine back to RS/SP trim, as it was also a Frakenbike.  SP swingarm, SP forks, dry clutch, etc, etc.

I'm running one of the "obsolete" SUGO boxes on mine, and it works a treat.  Granted, not programmable as the ZEEL/Ignitechs are, but simply plug and play.  I believe Warwick is also running one.  Must be the last few holdouts...lol

A while back we put together a bulk purchase of 3XV R/RS pistons from Wossner, similar to SeaRick1's center crank seal bulk order.  If you're going to race this bike, spares may be something to keep in mind.  Hoatso was trying to put another bulk purchase together, but I don't it gained much traction.

Best, Jim
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

Steveog

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2018, 01:40:49 AM »
JSNook - Good to hear from a Yank. Jealous your riding season is 12 months long.

No bike yet. It is being shipped from Northern Virginia. As you may have read on this thread, my partner is funding the TZR and has exclusive contact with the dealer, he's very good about sharing email, so I'm guessing if I haven't seen tracking info, its awaiting pick-up.

Yes, this forum and the guys here are great. Very helpful. The good news is they aren't selling anything and I take their experience as the best form of advice. We've talked to Geko in UK and while very friendly and willing to talk, it seems they have a butt-load of Sugo parts, saying nothing about other black box options. If I had only talked to "retail" outlets, I'd never know "Zeel" or "Igni" existed.

I had a 1971 Suzuki X-6 (called a GT-250 at the time). It was a joy to ride. Lost an 1/8 mile drag race with a 440 Dodge Challenger by only 1/2 length.

Two stroke fan for life. More later. Dinner with son.

Thanks for the digital handshake.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:47:10 PM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

Hoatso

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2018, 05:48:59 AM »

A while back we put together a bulk purchase of 3XV R/RS pistons from Wossner, similar to SeaRick1's center crank seal bulk order.  If you're going to race this bike, spares may be something to keep in mind.  Hoatso was trying to put another bulk purchase together, but I don't it gained much traction.

Best, Jim

I am still interested in organising a piston bulk buy if the need is there.

Steveog

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2018, 12:18:32 AM »
Gentlemen - We finally got our TZR into my shop. Its been raining here, almost constantly...like UK only mixed occasionally with snow. No chance to test ride, but it starts and idles. Like having a girl friend who's saving it for marriage.

A new question: We want an extra set of wheels. I've read that TZ 4DP Wheels can fit and are an upgrade, but our goal is to have two identical sets for wild swings in weather. Our track days here are rain or shine.

I've done all the normal searches here and on the internet in general. No Joy. Moto 2 Imports can order from Japan, but why pay them extra?

Any of you guys have a good set you'd like to sell. Good bearings and and beautiful cosmetic appearance not important.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:29:08 PM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

James P

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
Steve,

You could buy the wheels from Japan yourself. You can periodically check Yahoo Auction listings to see what is available (https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search;_ylt=A7dPFtITP8daNAYAXL9APDh8;_ylu=X3oDMTBiNzloa3JsBHZ0aWQDanBjMDAx?p=3xv&aq=-1&oq=&x=0&y=0&fixed=0&ei=UTF-8&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce&auccat=2084016405).

Persistence and patience may get you a bargain, but you'll obviously still have to get them sent to you. If you haven't already done so, you may like to research the difference in cost and time you may experience in buying them from the importer or buying them yourself. I'm not sure how much knowledge or experience you have in buying from Japan, but plenty of forum members can offer advice if you need it 8) .

Regards,
James

Steveog

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »
Thanks for the link, James. The wheels we can get from our importer range from $800-$1200USD. That seems consistent with what I've seen as I've been scrounging (finding TZ wheels) around the internet.

Steveog

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2018, 09:41:59 PM »
Steve,

You could buy the wheels from Japan yourself. You can periodically check Yahoo Auction listings to see what is available (https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search;_ylt=A7dPFtITP8daNAYAXL9APDh8;_ylu=X3oDMTBiNzloa3JsBHZ0aWQDanBjMDAx?p=3xv&aq=-1&oq=&x=0&y=0&fixed=0&ei=UTF-8&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce&auccat=2084016405).

Persistence and patience may get you a bargain, but you'll obviously still have to get them sent to you. If you haven't already done so, you may like to research the difference in cost and time you may experience in buying them from the importer or buying them yourself. I'm not sure how much knowledge or experience you have in buying from Japan, but plenty of forum members can offer advice if you need it 8) .

Regards,

James. OK, found some great prices on wheels. Thank You all to Hell. Even found a whole 3xv R. The next question is how do we deal with the Japanese with a such a wild language barrier. I've been sent info on a broker, but that was a contact to another website. Is there an easy solution for an American speaking customer on the site link you sent? Thanks in advance.

chubba

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »
I've used buyee to get stuff to the UK

Steveog

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
Thanks, Chubba. I've seen that name on the Japanese site, but didn't know what it meant. Most appreciated.

Anyone else have a favorite broker?

James P

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
Anyone else have a favorite broker?

Steve,

I mostly use Japamart or Rinkya. Rinkya will send most things (by FedEx if necessary). Japamart won't send some things, but also won't let you bid on items it won't send. Several other popular agents (including Buyee, I'm told) will happily let you bid on items, pay for them, then tell you they can't be sent!
There seem to be plenty of agents, but just make sure you read the fine print and ask questions before using them.

You can also deal with some of the Japanese bike breakers/wreckers directly, but beware that they may charge "western prices" in such instances.

Regards,
James

SeaR1ck

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »
Rinkya is actually owned by American Japanese family been using them for years. Tge fact they send stuff via fedex helps get around the Japanese post office restrictions. 

Steveog

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »
Thanks, SeaR1ck. Believe you told me about Rinkya originally. I went to their site and they didn't have 3xv wheels. The justifications for a J-A Contact and avoiding Japanese postal problems is a "sell".

Appreciated.

SeaR1ck

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2018, 08:14:05 PM »
Restricted items ive gotten from them through fedex pipes n silencers gas tanks bottom ends frames etc. I have yet to do a full engine but they told me they can do it as long as the seller will ship within japan to thier warehouse.

I have successfully shipped from Thailand a nsr150 engine and the one for my tzm through fedex.

They even offered to have the old tires removed from a set of wheels i got for $35 fee before shipping.

jcsnook

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:47 PM »
Just signed up for Rinkya myself.  Hope it's better than fromjapan, that I've been using.
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

Steveog

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2018, 08:52:27 PM »
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'll contact Rinkya.