Author Topic: Japanese '91 3XV deresriction  (Read 15026 times)

Steveog

Re: Japanese '91 3XV deresriction
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »
Thanks again, guys. Learning a lot.

I've got a call in for the entire build out list on our TZR. Though we had it, but Nooooo. That means we have no idea if an aftermarket black box mod accompanies the Dog Fight Pipes.My partner made all the business deals and wrote the check. The bike came from a specialized importer, Moto 2 Imports. They have a good reputation and multitudes of Japanese 250 2T's (and parts). All flavors and brands, so long as they are over 25 years old. They offered to spec out our '91 3XV with just about anything, but we elected to stay mostly stock, as the bike sat. (stopped at new Michelins and Stainless Brake Lines)

The bike is scheduled to arrive this week. Weather here might preclude a test ride. Expecting snow, but should be around 50F on Thursday (2/08/18).

We have a big football game in the US, today. "American Football". The TV coverage has been on since 10:00am CST. Kick-off is 5:18pm. Dreaming of the TZR is far more entertaining.
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 10:44:27 PM »
Thanks again, guys. Learning a lot.

I've got a call in for the entire build out list on our TZR. Though we had it, but Nooooo. That means we have no idea if an aftermarket black box mod accompanies the Dog Fight Pipes.My partner made all the business deals and wrote the check. The bike came from a specialized importer, Moto 2 Imports. They have a good reputation and multitudes of Japanese 250 2T's (and parts). All flavors and brands, so long as they are over 25 years old. They offered to spec out our '91 3XV with just about anything, but we elected to stay mostly stock, as the bike sat. (stopped at new Michelins and Stainless Brake Lines)

The bike is scheduled to arrive this week. Weather here might preclude a test ride. Expecting snow, but should be around 50F on Thursday (2/08/18).

We have a big football game in the US, today. "American Football". The TV coverage has been on since 10:00am CST. Kick-off is 5:18pm. Dreaming of the TZR is far more entertaining.

You me 8/2/2018. I wouldn't want to wait until August

Not sure how CST relates to proper time i.e GMT

We have a proper game. It's called Rugby, no helmets, no shoulder pads, no time outs,  no hand wipe towels, only one set of players not 1 team to attack and 1 to defend. And football (in the rest of the universe) involves kicking a round ball.

At least you have the TZR in common with the rest of the world. Go Team New Eagles or something like that buddy :-)
Uncle (Reverend) Phil !!!

SeaR1ck

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 11:34:53 PM »
I'm curious if moto2 is as legit as they claim to be they have zero widely known rep for what they claim. So far have not seen anyone post they bought a tzr for them. They only been mentioned on eBay ads and rare sport bikes forsale. Not a lot of follow up after purchase owner posts on here say 6 months later after owning to see what quality of bikes they are selling at thier prices.

Steveog

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 09:00:48 PM »
@ Mellorp - When I was in 9-12th grades in school, we played American Football with no pads or helmets. I honor Rugby. Its European Football which I find infinitely boring.

Long ago, we Americans decided there was a better way to do most things. Month/Day/Year? Which side of the road? Time zones relative to our country? We fought to rid ourselves of a monarchy. There are six of our flags on the moon...placed there almost 50 years ago...using American sized nuts and bolts, measuring temps in Fahrenheit and distances in inches, feet and miles. 

That said, as a student of History, "The Battle of Britain" remains the most inspiring action of WWII. My favorite music of the 60's and 70' was most all English with YES, King Crimson and Cream being among the vinyls I still cherish. My son (41) is named Sean (after Sean Connery). Oh, I can't properly honor England without mentioning Bombay Sapphire.

When one of us is threatened, England and The US stand together, but still argue over beer.

Getting to know you and the TZR brethren on this site has been enlightening. We have our differences, but we almost share a common language and we definitely share a love of "Motorcycles" (not motorbikes). Interestingly, as we defend our way, as the way, we turn to the Japanese for the best motorcycles. If you'd like, I can give you the history of Modern Japanese industry following WWII. But, would rather make a friend with whom I can disagree, than start another a Facebook-like discussion. All my best, mate.

@ SeaR1ck - Your perceptions may be accurate. I hope not. So far, Moto 2 Imports have been very direct and honest in their dealing. Lots of pics and conversation. We'll get a video of the the TZR running before its put on the truck. (Shipment was delayed by my partner adding parts that needed to be installed.) One of the Premier Motorcycle Publications in the USA ran an feature on three of the 1991 Japanese Two-Stroke Sportbikes. The bikes were supplied by Moto 2 Imports. Please take a look. https://www.cycleworld.com/250cc-two-stroke-sportbike-motorcycle-review-comparison-test  We're buying the TZR "as is"...meaning that "it comes to us as advertised", there is no warranty, so long-term follow-up is not part of the deal. In the US, if you don't bring a question or problem back to dealer, they usually do not offer unsolicited follow-up. When we need parts, there are other sources with which we can compare prices. Moto 2 is located in the US, so that might explain why you in England don't hear much from them. For us, its a matter of perceived trust. A dealer has a business to protect and would seem to be driven by capitalism to provide that which keeps customers calling. Thanks for your comment.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:12:08 AM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

SeaR1ck

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »
I'm not from the UK I'm one of the few U.S. guys on here and I've been working on these jdm bikes since 2003. I have rebuilt 12 of these jdm two strokes I know what kind of gremlins they hide.  Just because it runs doesn't mean it's rideable every single one that was fresh from Japan. Has always had parts that where corroded rubber bits that have dried up not just hoses. Even crank seals are suspect fork seals brake calipers seals bolts etc. Rust in the gas tanks.

Places like moto2 have only been importing these bikes in the last couple years. They always advertise them as needs nothing or turn key riders. They will be far from that you will see once you get it, it's easy to hide things in pics.

Remember japan is an island with marine layer air and a garage is a luxury many bikes don't see and the average owner doesn't work on thier bike.

I'm not trying to come across as attacking you personally just trying to give you a heads up on what your getting into what to expect. The guys on here who have experienced working on and restoring these bikes will agree with me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:57:37 PM by SeaR1ck »

Steveog

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 09:50:24 PM »
So noted SeaR1ick. Thanks for the heads up. For the record, our motor was promised to have been recently rebuilt. (Seals, bearings, gaskets). There's 11K on the clock.

You may have seen one of my earlier posts, wherein I spoke of rebuilding a 1986 Suzuki RM dirt bike. I agree completely that almost all grommets, hoses, seals etc. had to be replaced...not to mention mud for fork fluid. I'm still fighting a water pump seal.

Are you located anywhere near southern Indiana? We've got some good tech here, but no "hands dirty" experts on TZR's.

SeaR1ck

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 10:01:01 PM »
No I'm from Seattle myself I question the crank seals if it's an R or RS model. The crank center seal has been no longer available from Yamaha for awhile I just had a batch of them remanufactured that I sold to all of the forum members.

Steveog

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 10:06:15 PM »
So a bad center seal would probably mean one cylinder would smoke notably more than the other, Yes?

If you build out more new seals, no longer available, please let me know.

Thanks.

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 10:07:30 PM »
@ Mellorp - When I was in 9-12th grades in school, we played American Football with no pads or helmets.

Long ago, we Americans decided there was a weird way to do most things. Month/Day/Year? Which side of the road? Time zones .

I only did secondary school 1st year to lower/upper 6th. Never got my head round what 12th grade or high school until my eldest was suddenly in year 7 !!! Weird

You will get used to (or dislike) my extreme levels of sarcasm. Hopefully you can take it all in good jest. I mean no harm. Enjoy the TZR and above all else thrash the living daylights out of it. It's what it was built for :-)

Steveog

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
No issues here, Mellorp. I too have fun with friendly banter, sarcasm, dark humor, etc.

Looking forward to twisting the fast handle. The last street two-stroke I had was a '72 Suzuki 380. The most fun was on a '71 X-6.

The weather here sucks. The delivery of the TZR has been delayed. But, the team I hate lost the "Super Bowl", so its a win.

Fortunately, I have no money in The US Stock Market.

Shiny Side Up

SeaR1ck

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
If the center seal was bad it would cause it to smoke bad. Look at my thread on the projects area. I'm currently going through a Yamaha TZM 150 I bought from Thailand that was a nos left over  from 1994.

Steveog

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 10:53:53 PM »
I read your thread on the inner seal since my last post. Good Stuff.

As I said, we're supposed to get a video of the bike, running.

I do visual effects work for Film and TV. 45 years experience. They can't fake a lack of smoke, then add back the appropriate smoke. At least not to my eyes.

It would be cheaper to have another fresh crank installed than attempt to doctor a video.

Thanks

Steveog

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »
SeaR1ick - I've seen the bike run on a dyno and smoke out put looks even from both pipes. This makes sense to me, as a fresh engine is probably jetted a bit rich and the oil pump adjusted up for proper run-in" during heat/cool cycling....not to mention build oil residue.

Your thoughts? In fact, anyone's thought?

Thanks

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 10:10:30 PM »
You don't want more oil in a fresh engine it just clogs the plugs and pipes. What you do need is proper running in procedure, heat cycles, then if you must a dyno to check on exhausts (lambada sensor).  Jet it as std. then change the jetting based on your tuning mods. Changing the jets on these things (in fact any road based 2stroke V twin) is a PITA

SeaR1ck

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 12:09:03 AM »
So did they swap the pistons? Running a bike on a fresh top end on a dyno without proper heat cycles is not good. Why the f are they doing That? I wouldn't put mine on a dyno unless it had a few hundred miles on the top end so as not damage it.

What all did they replace? They have documentation to back it up or even pics to show thier work?