Author Topic: newbie numpty about to purchase 3xv  (Read 871 times)

bulldogboy

newbie numpty about to purchase 3xv
« on: March 03, 2018, 12:04:19 AM »
Hi guys, thought I would sign up to this forum as I'm about to purchase a 1993 3xv. It is listed as a tzr 250 2 3xv.It has done 5,1/2 thousand miles. It is in totally original , from what I can see from pics, mint condition, and is described as show standard dry stored condition. I have done some basic research and realise that I will have to have some work done engine wise at some point. My question is I spose, at that mileage , when should I expect to replace pistons and rings?, and at what mileage should a crank be rebuilt? What else should be done to a bike that has potentially been sitting about for a while? Carbs cleaned and balanced, ......and? I am not a total 2 stroke virgin, I have owned kr1s before, but I'm now bored of my blade, and ive been drooling over tzrs for ages, and ive finally decided to go for it. I realise its better to buy privately, with some history, but private bikes seem to be rarer than the old rocking horse poo! this is an import, so will have zero/limited history, but it really does look in exeptional condition, so seems a good starting point? you've probably heard these newbie questions a hundred times, but any guidance/help/advice would be really appreciated, thanks in advance, Gavin.

ybk

Re: newbie numpty about to purchase 3xv
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 01:21:47 AM »
In no particular order,

• You'll probably need to check the top end(piston and barrel condition), I won't put more than 10000km on a top end. Once the barrels are off you will be able to have a look at the crank as well. Crank seals are always a question mark unfortunately so it's worth checking out.
  • Get yourself a tube of yamabond, it will be essential when sealing up the engine again.
  • Get a leak down test kit from Maccas on the forum, helps with peace of mind once the engine has been put together. They tend to leak around the carb inlets, so be sure to give them a thin smear of yamabond when assembling. You can also check the crank seals with the tester beforehand maybe.
  • Remove the carb heating circuit, it cleans up the under tank area quite a bit (the coolant carrying pipes between the carbs, bottom cylinder and thermostat. Blank of the thermostat and cylinder with the rubber caps like on the top cylinder
  • Check your fuel tap filter, they warp and let through crap. Replace with an RGV tap if you want an off position and less petrol over your hands.
  • Read some project threads, you'll pick up tips and things to look out for.
  • Manuals and part manuals here http://pure2strokespirit.net/redandblueftp/download/

To save money on head gaskets you can have an o-ring groove cut around the combustion chamber on the head. Use the o-ring from the 91/92 SP model for sizing. Then seal the rest with yamabond. It tightens up the squish and saves you money on expensive headgaskets :)

Get yourself JIS spec screwdrivers, no more rounded screws :)

Post up some pics and a project thread if you buy it. You can post pictures and ask for advice as you go along, the guys here will also spot anything else that may be of use to you. :) (-P)

SeaR1ck

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 01:50:33 AM »
Welcome to the pit  O0

bulldogboy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 01:56:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply ybk, that's very helpful, I will defo post some pics if I get her, and I'm sure I will learn on the job, I unfortunately don't have the space/ equipment or know how to do much aside from basic maintenance, so will be getting someone who knows what they are doing to do an engine check/ refresh when it comes to it but that's invaluable info, cheers mate.

bulldogboy

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 01:59:25 AM »
cheers sea r1ck!  ;) don't worry my eyes are wide open!

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
Thanks for the reply ybk, that's very helpful, I will defo post some pics if I get her, and I'm sure I will learn on the job, I unfortunately don't have the space/ equipment or know how to do much aside from basic maintenance, so will be getting someone who knows what they are doing to do an engine check/ refresh when it comes to it but that's invaluable info, cheers mate.

Welcome to the frustration and joy that is 2 Stroke ownership. Regardless of skill levels and space you don't need much of both to get a 250 V twin apart. Some of us are lucky enough to have a hydraulic bench, work areas and all the tools you can imagine. TBH that makes life much easier. However having taken an engine apart in a tent and put it back together again there is no reason why you can't do it yourself in a confined space. Get lots of boxes (Morrisons do a range of cheap plastic stackable storage box). Take your time and learn about the bike. A decent set of spanners, sockets, allen keys and screwdrivers and small hands. That's one of the big attractions of these things. Take pics as you go and don't force things. There will be another little bolt of screw you missed. Use the manual and have a go. Lots of advice and encouragement can be found on this forum. Don't become a "cheque book" owner unless you really really have to :-)
Mellion say If it ain't broke thrash it until it breaks

maccas

• East Yorkshire and Bristol UK
    • GasketGuru
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 12:53:02 PM »
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=152815375706&category=9809&pm=1&ds=0&t=1519304069000&ver=0&cspheader=1#emp-ad-ebaydesc-img-full-14

Is it that one?

For starters, based on the colour scheme alone it's a 91 R model, not a 93 model.

The rear number plate holder has been cut, and something isn't right with the left hand exhaust. The silencer is alot lower than it should be. Might be worth checking it isn't bent.

Like everyone has said above, budget for a full crank rebuild and full top end rebuild. With that mileage and being stood for so long all the seals will have gone hard and there maybe some corrosion on the important bearings, regardless how well it has been stored.

6.5k is a hell of a lot for a bog standard R model. Try and knock them down a few grand if you can.

Dan

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 01:38:33 PM »
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=152815375706&category=9809&pm=1&ds=0&t=1519304069000&ver=0&cspheader=1#emp-ad-ebaydesc-img-full-14

Is it that one?

For starters, based on the colour scheme alone it's a 91 R model, not a 93 model.

The rear number plate holder has been cut, and something isn't right with the left hand exhaust. The silencer is alot lower than it should be. Might be worth checking it isn't bent.

Like everyone has said above, budget for a full crank rebuild and full top end rebuild. With that mileage and being stood for so long all the seals will have gone hard and there maybe some corrosion on the important bearings, regardless how well it has been stored.

6.5k is a hell of a lot for a bog standard R model. Try and knock them down a few grand if you can.

Dan

F@ck Me 6.5k I think I need to revise my advert http://pure2strokespirit.net/forums/index.php?topic=5333.0
Mellion say If it ain't broke thrash it until it breaks

bulldogboy

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 01:57:44 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement mellorp, I  did get my hands dirty with my old kr1s, wish id never part exed it for 600 quid! And Dan, yes mate it was that bike you sent the link to! What a joke, ive just been to look at it, well cheesed off 3 hour round trip. "show winning condition" my arse. "dry stored" my arse, "rare find" my arse. Turned up there bloke couldn't find the bike, was outside in a yard covered in snow, was grubby, furred up all over the place, looked generally uncared for, totally misdescribed, bloke was generally uninterested, left me to look at it and just disappeared, looked it over, and walked away, I'm no expert but I know when something don't smell right, I clocked the pipe not aligned right somehow. just sent him an email saying the ad is over egging the condition, and thanks for wasting 3 hours out my life.I know 6 1/2 is a lot,and once you've paid to get it right its going to be a lot more, but for an absoloute minter id pay over the odds, but hey ho, ill keep looking, shiny plastics don't make a minter! I'm beginning to think ill have to wait for a privately owned machine that's been worked on/ restored,/refreshed. Extreme trading on ebay has a few that look clean as well, but must be so easy to get had over with one of these.

Devmeister

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
yes you won't be able to find an SP in that condition for less than 9K OTR now. Getting expensive in Japan and quality bikes are few and far between. Actually getting very expensive for a very good standard version

This is the only one for sale in the dealer network at the moment or private at the moment.

http://www.goobike.com/maker-yamaha/car-tzr250spr/index.html 

that is 11.5k in Japan, then add 1k for japan transport shipping, agent fee, 12.5k then 26% import duty. work at at 15.7k then add transport costs, DVLA, Dating letter, customer cleanance agent and Bingo 16.2k!!!!!!

Devmeister

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »
I'm hanging on the mine now i have checked the prices, I'm lucky to have a a 3XVB SP, pretty much mint.

bims

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
1.6MY for an SPR!!!!!
No wonder I never see any come up at auction when people are asking that much.
going on that the 2 that Fastline recently sold at 10K seem quite cheap!

bulldogboy

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »
So just to update this thread iam now a 3xv owner, bought mellorps rs, last sat.a far better buy than an import that needs a shed load of work. Glad i joined the forum , and thanks for the replys guys, it made me aware of the work thats involved in an import,so cheers.

yanw

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 02:19:09 PM »
Congratulations. You have a good bike there.

bulldogboy

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 02:24:44 PM »
Cheers yanw, havnt had time to mot it yet, itching to get out on it and see what its about, thrown in at the deepend of 2 stroke iwnership!