Author Topic: 3XV battery woes, alternatives and tips  (Read 258 times)

yanw

3XV battery woes, alternatives and tips
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:10:29 PM »
I was preping my 3XV for this year's MoT today and despite keeping the Lucas battery I purchased in 2016 in the house over winter it's died a death. I charged it a couple of times while it was as off the bike but there's not enough charge in it to cycle the PVs when the ignition is switched on.

I've got a new one on order but are there any alternatives to the perennial problem of the 3XV battery dying if they lose charge (when laid up over winter etc)? It's a road/leisure bike so would a race capacitor not be suitable as I'd like to keep the lights? Should I invest in fancy trickle charger or just accept that I need to buy a new battery every two years?

I thought I was being clever this year keeping it in the warm etc but as usual I was wrong ;). I checked the old posts and while the part number and suppliers sending the wrong type (yea, Busters had me too) has been discussed I couldn't find anything about alternatives or maintenance. Any advice gratefully received.

mellorp

• Manchester
Re: 3XV battery woes, alternatives and tips
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 12:41:57 AM »
If you put some jumper leads onto the 3XV battery connector, you can use a bigger 4Ah battery like on the VJ22. An expensive option is a lithium version. Either way I use NOCO G1000 charger 40 ish. to keep everything charged
Mellion say If it ain't broke thrash it until it breaks

ybk

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 01:48:48 AM »
Motobatt does a slightly larger battery (MT4R) that lasts a bit longer than the stock one (MBT4BB) and still fits under the seat. You'll need to make some new battery connector attachments though. A proper charger is also recommended, I had an Oxford and it was useless, all my batteries died, got an Optimate and it managed to revive the ones the Oxford couldn't. As Mellorp said also, a lithium ion battery would be first prize.

41juergen

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
I have changed all the lights to LED ones which helped a lot during the year when not riding the bike every day. During winter time I have the battery in my home, fully charged and it lasts the whole winter..