Author Topic: Clutch Assembly Problems part 2  (Read 753 times)

robel

• Putting a stock TZR250 1KT back on the road.
Clutch Assembly Problems part 2
« on: April 06, 2018, 05:55:54 PM »
Still having problems with my 1KT clutch rebuild.  All parts, plates, basket etc are in good condition and all well in spec.  I split the crankcase to replace the large bearing behind the clutch assembly that is on the main shaft into the gearbox.  With the clutch housing (basket) and the clutch boss in place and no clutch plates fitted and having the large nut just finger tight if I select a gear I can rotate the rear wheel and the boss rotates without the basket moving and if rotate by hand the basket the engine turns over without the boss moving. I.E. the basket and boss do not touch each other BUT if I do the nut up to 90 nm the two bind together and if I turn the rear wheel it turns the engine over, which I guess it should not.  Anyone had this problem before or any suggestions - thanks.  I did wonder if the big bearing that I replaced sticks out too far, although it does have a retaining groove and clip in it to fix its position.  The thrust washer is the right thickness although it does 'float' on the gear input shaft.

tzar250

Re: Clutch Assembly Problems part 2
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 06:18:42 PM »
Hi

Sorry to hear about your clutch problems.

You mention the thrust washer.  Do you also have a toothed washer (to fit on the splines) between the clutch basket and the boss - as well as the plain large thrust washer between the output bearing and the back of the basket?

robel

• Putting a stock TZR250 1KT back on the road.
Re: Clutch Assembly Problems part 2
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
I have both washers fitted.  The large thrust washer at the back and the inner toothed washer.  The teeth go over the splines and then beyond that it drops into the wide groove on the shaft and so it does not accurately centre.  When I say binds it is possible to rotate one in relation to the other but you have to use a screwdriver as a lever between the two.  I guess I could cure it by putting a couple of thou shim next to the toothed washer but am I then just hiding a problem.