Author Topic: Another 3XV project  (Read 37327 times)

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
Another 3XV project
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
Managed to blag my 3XV1 some time ago and it sat on the back burner for too long until someone offered to provide a set of new stainless brake hoses, so the project commenced.
Decided to get the motor stripped / checked / rebuilt with appropriate seals before going further. Figured if the motor was spent then the project may be a non-starter.
Forever a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
Re: Another 3XV project
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:35:28 PM »
All was pronounced good and the motor was rebuilt, new seals abound, new pistons and rings, barrels cleaned externally, carbs ultrasonically cleaned and some new internals then back in chassis.
The wish list to address is lengthy but the current thought is to get it looking tidy and functional, not showroom and stored. Brakes expoloded next and rear sent for refurb and to match the front callipers. Rear slave powdercoated.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:47:50 PM »
Next step is to drop out the wheels and get them powdercoated, also to drop the front and rear suspension to get overhauled and rebuilt.
So currently it looks a bit neglected...

Question.... Can anyone suggest or recommend tyres, its going to be road use for the time being, limited mileage but good grip required. The boots on it when I bought it looked a bit spent. ::)

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »
Nice 8) Looks like you're doing it proper. Always a relief when you pull the barrels and the nikasil is good ^-^

Tyre wise there are a few options.

Bridgestone BT090's have been around forever and offer good grip and and life. Used them on my track bikes and have been happy with them. These are the cheapest as well.

If you want something more modern then you can gp to the best(?) tyre, Pirelli Supercorsas which supposedly offers the best grip but also very expensive.

There are Bridgestone RS10's which are also more modern and compete with the supercorsas but not as pricey.

Lastly there are Dunlop Alpha 13's which have a dual compound (harder in the middle). They are in between supercorsas and Bridgestones price wise I think. (I read somewhere they have now been replaced by Alpha 14's?)

All these come in the correct size (110/150) and are H rated.

By the way, that old rear tyre of yours looks like it would have provided a confidence inspiring ride  ;) :o :o

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:59:41 PM by ybk »

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »
Many Thanks YBK in the Land of the Long White Cloud. I have great memories of my visit there many years ago.

I was kinda leaning towards the Bridgestones already so your opinion was great input  :) Looking at the existing rear I was concerned about serious track time in its previous life but the barrels and crank when checked were good. I have amassed some spares during this project including 3 set of standard pipes in various condition but perhaps should have approached Martin77? Anyhow for now its pretty much standard and not seen the light of day for many years so gently does it. Wheels and suspension will be sent to be sorted next week whilst the brakes are put back together with new seals etc. Once all the bits are back its battery, chain/sprockets then finally offer up the chinese bodywork  :-\

jcsnook

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »
Nice project...

Please let us know how you like the bodywork, and how it fits, etc.  I've considered some myself, but have not yet pulled the trigger.  It's possible that they all may come from the same factory in China??
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
Nice project...

Please let us know how you like the bodywork, and how it fits, etc.  I've considered some myself, but have not yet pulled the trigger.  It's possible that they all may come from the same factory in China??

Sure will do although it may be a month or so before that happens when I have suspension and wheels re-installled. :-\

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 08:31:26 AM »
Spanner in the works  :(

Wheels still at powdercoaters and no call from them yet after 2 weeks. Have been quoted £250 from local dealer to supply/fit/balance BT090's once the wheels are done. he admits not the cheapest but they maintain that they do a good job and are very careful with any wheels (been fitting motorcycle tyres on the site since 1900  :P )
Suspension has been rebuilt but not returned yet via the courier (1 new rod was needed and a fork seal was apparently upside down)

Bearing Challenge  >:(
Not yet ordered the wheel bearings and head race bearings...need the bearing numbers to order and the tapered race on the lower yoke is pretty ugly. There is/was a slight lip on the yoke which is now damaged where the lower bearing sits, is this crucial as it might need machining flush then milling up an equivalent spacer upon which to locate the new bearing?

Also probably a good time to drop and grease the rear suspension linkage whilst the shock is out.

I had hopeded to get the suspension and wheels back for this weekend but that plan went out the window somewhat. ::)

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 06:57:54 AM »
Always hurdles but worth it in the end. The yoke bottom bearing has a rubber skirt that keeps dirt out. As far as I know it’s a standard size bearing so you can get it from a bearing place but it wont have the skirt. Its also non removable and it inevitably gets damaged when you remove the old bearing. I always get it it from yamaha..(pricey bearing unfortunately). At the least the yoke top bearing is off the shelf.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 07:53:27 AM »
That's really helpful, Many Thanks.
Yes the rubber skirt didn't survive the bearing removal very well so will need to come from Yamaha, however the existing bottom bearing had some pickup on fitment and even using a 12 tonne bearing removal puller, it needed a fair amount of elbow! Unfortunately the pickup has caused some damage to the bottom of the stem and the locating lip on the bottom yoke therefore I have been recommended to try and source replacements  :(

I have posted an item in the Wanted section hoping someone on the forum has a "spare" they would consider parting with  :-\  In the interim the rebuild is somewhat stalled other than rebuilding the brakes, fitting tyres and cleaning out the fuel tank.  :( :( :(

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 08:25:09 AM »
Have you got a pic of the damage? Usually you can just re-use the yoke as it can take a nick and scratch here and there without affecting the bearings. An easy way to get the bottom bearing off is to use a Dremel or similar with a tiny cutting disc. Break off the outer race then just cut through the inner race, then it just falls off. You can nick the yoke under the race but it's no problem I'd say.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:43:24 AM by ybk »

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 10:37:32 PM »
Not sure this is what you were hoping to see as a nick and a scratch  :-\
Also there are a couple of scores at the base of the post  >:(

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 11:24:35 PM »
hehe, ok yeah, the seat is a bit rough so that might affect the bearing position.. :'(

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 12:29:15 AM »
Colleague thinks damage caused by incorrect fitment of bearing when some pickup occurred? Anyhow now looking to source a replacement if poss as the seat has too much damage unless milled down and appropriate spacer installed, even then there is some minor scoring at the base of the stem to be concerned about.

41juergen

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »
When I need to get rid of an old bearing I use a torch to heat up the bearing and than use the puller..