Author Topic: Another 3XV project  (Read 37302 times)

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
Re: Another 3XV project
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »
Me too, just in this case it appears something was wrong with the installation of the bearing and something interfered with the bearing/stem interface.
Did initially consider machining it but think its too badly damaged. Cheers for the input  (-P)
Forever a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 11:43:14 PM »
Need to source replacement yokes, are all 3XV yokes the same size? I believe that the fork diameters are 39 or 41 mm depending on model and spec but does that also refer to the yokes? Hopefully not a dumb question, apologies but want to get the correct ones.

yanw

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 11:48:18 PM »
Top and bottom yoke sizes by model here:
http://www.yan.org.uk/3XV-model-info.csv

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 07:25:59 AM »
Many Thanks YanW. Yup, mine are 50mm, just need to check replacements are the same.  (-P)

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 07:37:12 AM »
Whilst addressing the lower yoke challenge (have ordered the genuine Yamaha bearing with the dust cover- thanks for the tip guys  (-P) ) , the wheels have been done at the powdercoaters.
Before and after pics ...

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »
Was intending to drop the rear suspension linkages to clean and grease whilst the suspension and wheel are out. Given that there wasn't any issue with its functionality beforehand, is there any benefit in considering replacing the bushes? 

jcsnook

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 01:38:18 PM »
I would, I'd drop the swing arm and clean and grease it as well.  Make sure you have good seals around the swingarm pivot bolt too.

When I swapped out my standard R swingarm, to my SP swingarm, I found a bunch of nasty rusted bearings and such in there.  Over the years water got in somehow and did lots of damage.  It will never be easier than it is now.  I cleaned and re-greased all my linkage while I was at it.
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 07:48:14 AM »
Ok good call. cheers. (-P)
Removed/cleaned/greased the rear linkage yesterday and was about to mount the shock when I saw your post so will attempt to check the swing arm, bit awkward as the pipes are in situ but here goes.
Current status as far as I'm aware ...
Collected the forks and rear shock yesterday following overhaul. New bearings arrived last week for the head races as well as the F + R wheels. Not yet gotten round to assembling the brake callipers until there is something there to mount them onto so the man cave is starting to look like a jigsaw puzzle. Rumour has it that the boys (Son 1 + Son 2) are stumping up for a set of Bridgestone BT090's, bless them.
 After that it should be mainly be chain/sprockets, bodywork fitment, fuel tank cleansing and the dreaded yoke resolution.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 12:20:40 AM »
I would, I'd drop the swing arm and clean and grease it as well.  Make sure you have good seals around the swingarm pivot bolt too.

When I swapped out my standard R swingarm, to my SP swingarm, I found a bunch of nasty rusted bearings and such in there.  Over the years water got in somehow and did lots of damage.  It will never be easier than it is now.  I cleaned and re-greased all my linkage while I was at it.

Ok,, here it is  (-P)

Unfortunately the front chain guide on the swinging arm has seen better days and in a previous life the chain has been running around the arm somewhat on the underside  :o

On the plus side the arm is now fully greased up and back in situ with the shock rebuilt and the spring powdercoated.

jcsnook

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 02:28:28 PM »
You've got piece of mind now with that sorted.  I've seen worse wear on swingarms, at least you didn't have to weld up grooves that were all the way thru your arm.  Others have.  Pity that those rubber guides are NLA new from Yamaha.  SeaRick was looking to have some remade, but we need a good sample to work from.
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 10:00:26 PM »
Recall seeing that post, I would be up for one if that went ahead. Clearly I don't currently posers an example to use as a mould  :(

Was pleasantly surprised how relatively simple the swinging arm went back in :o

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 11:57:48 PM »
Project stalled for while due to bearing issues and the other half keep booking weekends away at the coast, thought it might not go down too well if I said I'd prefer to progress the refurb in the man cave.  >:( Back on the case again now.  (-P)

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 07:05:34 AM »
Progress thwarted by bearing issues but hopefully now back in full swing. (-P)
New rubber and bearings fitted to wheels and yesterday replaced all the front calliper seals after reading a couple of recent posts on  forums re red grease (Cheers Guys). Was recommended to use Sprockets Unlimited for new chain/sprockets but they are currently out of 36 rear so probably going standard sizes for time being. Alongside that its the tank cleanout and new tap kit to sort before unpacking the dusty box of Chinese bodywork to see how it marries up. Fingers crossed or Dremel standing by?  :-X

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »
Nice progress, the wheels came out neat. By the way, did you replace the tiny caliper halve seals as well? I have never been able to source those.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 08:01:18 AM »
Nice progress, the wheels came out neat. By the way, did you replace the tiny caliper halve seals as well? I have never been able to source those.

Indeed, came as part of the kit from Brakemasters in the UK so guess they might sell them separately?
email brakemasters@powerhouse.co.uk

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Powerhouse-Automotive-Ltd/Caliper-Seal-Kits-Yamaha-/_i.html?_nkw=3xv&submit=Search&_fsub=2707953017&_sid=1008591237
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:40:24 PM by thump566 »