Author Topic: Another 3XV project  (Read 37623 times)

Crank

Re: Another 3XV project
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2018, 08:11:21 PM »

Today: Motor running but again, engaging any gear stalls the engine, can engage high gear with dead engine and walk the bike with the clutch in and all fine but otherwise same result as before despite removing the clutch and checking the plates plus engaging/disengaging ok.

Sounds to me like your side stand switch is faulty or disconnected!!
If it is missing you need to bridge the associated wiring.
Check that and let us know.

Edit: If all is in place the the side stand needs to be up to engage first gear.

Crank, god shout  (-P) Did check this at the time but seems to be an intermittent fault, either way you win a prize  ;) (-P) (-P)

Good stuff!!
Get it finished already and let us know how the first ride goes.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2018, 11:52:16 PM »
Removed and stripped apart the side stand at the weekend, all now appears to be ok  :-\

Spent a few hours so far attempting to fit the Chinese bodywork, as anticipated, with the help of a Dremel  ::)
Not going to be a 5 minute job but patience and perseverance required. Still encountering clips / bolts/ brackets etc that were not previously present as I attempt to fit the body kit.

Have white mirrors from the original purchase which may look odd, possibly black items better, not sure yet. Also cant find the front indicators at present although did locate 4 top fairings in the loft in various states of condition / complete / paint  :-\
Forever a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2018, 01:29:32 AM »
To each his own, but I would never use ATF in a gearbox; I use 75W90 gear oil in my bikes. ATF does not have EP (extreme pressure) dopes that proper gear oil has.
When Kawasaki's H1-R was introduced in 1970 Kevin Cameron H1-R suffered from gear pitting (as did others) . Kevin fitted new gears and tried various oils including ATF but the pitting kept recurring. He finally switched to proper gear oil and hey presto, the gears stayed like new. I also have less than positive experience with the prescribed 10W40 and ATF in a 1973 H1-D. Problem solved after switching to proper gear oil.

Ok, my mistake. Apparently its loaded with "Castrol Power 1 2T Racing" oil, Hopefully this sounds better?

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2018, 11:11:25 PM »
Still sorting the replacement body work, hopefully the attached pics will provide an indication of the OEM Yamaha stuff vs the Chinese bodywork, or you could say..."Armani vs Primani"  ;)

p.s. Whilst searching for the front indicators found a bundle of spares I forgot a got from a guy in Southampton on Fleabay, must make a list sometime of the bits I have massed so far. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:53:43 PM by thump566 »

Hoatso

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
I have considered buying Chinese plastic.

There seems to be at least two manufacturers. One has a two-piece rear fairing, while the other has a one-piece. Did you get the 2-piece?

What fit issues did you have?

Do the side fairings have the air intake ducts molded on the inside?

Does the tank cover fit OK?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:24:25 PM by Hoatso »

SeaR1ck

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2018, 08:56:12 PM »
If i was gonna go with a Chinese kit i would go with this manufacturer. Auctmarts. They actually have custom service will let you custom paint no extra charge and have a good rep for actually fitting. 

https://shop.auctmarts.com/fairings/yamaha/tzr-250/1991-1994.html

Those one piece units are garbage knockoffs that are vacuum formed not injected molded.

There's also out of Japan saitaya-f they do fiberglass with a plastic shell. It's thick stuff i have thier 05 cbr600rr replica kit on my nsr 250 for like 7 years now it's holding up well but it's more expensive.

My spr came with a unknown Chinese brand fairing with the two piece tail that fits fine. I did manage to get the tank cover to fit pretty well but it's not perfect.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:04:00 PM by SeaR1ck »

SeaR1ck

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2018, 04:17:26 AM »
I tried to take some more close up pics showing the fitment of this unknown Chinese brand fairing.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2018, 07:44:48 AM »
I have considered buying Chinese plastic.

There seems to be at least two manufacturers. One has a two-piece rear fairing, while the other has a one-piece. Did you get the 2-piece?

What fit issues did you have?

Do the side fairings have the air intake ducts molded on the inside?

Does the tank cover fit OK?

Thanks.

My kit came with a 2 piece seat unit and did not include a tank cover as standard. I have fitted the seat but got no further at the moment, currently working on the top fairing but unsure if the difficulties lining up are due to the kit or the support frame which appears to had a whack at some point so still work in progress (side is touching the radiator cap and the indicators dot quite line up with the lugs on the bracket either side ). Its difficult to get the exact angles of the bracket correct without a good one and can only go by photos off the net.

Don't recall that the side fairings have the air intake ducts moulded on the inside but will unwrap one again and post more pics. As mentioned no tank cover with this suppliers kit but will try and find the sellers details and add to this thread.

btw... The seat unit fitted ok other than the two rear mounting lugs under the rear seat unit needing offsetting somewhat. Please ask if anyone needs any specific pics of a particular bit.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2018, 10:33:42 PM »
poor fitting on the Chinese stuff does seem to be a common theme, how do the tank covers attach, with double sided sticky pads or something? seaR1ck... that Auctmart stuff looks real good, the spr kit on there looks really authentic, the black is mat, and all the decals look good, shame they don't do the similar 94 r.s, have you any experience of having a custom design on request? I presume they've got the decals that good by having an original set to copy.Must be difficult to attain accuracy from pictures for a custom job.

SeaR1ck

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2018, 11:47:55 PM »
I haven't personally bought anything from auctmarts yet. The guys on my vfr forum really like thier stuff and said they have been very helpful and easy to work with. They have been very pleased with their work. The only thing I don't like about the kit is no mention of the small piece that fits into the tail above the tail light.

But at least they have the text spelling correct the knock off stuff i have. Says made with two stroke sprit ! Not spirit.

They will send you pictures of the paint work to finalize it until your happy. They say the fitment is close to oem.

As for the tank covers they are slip on fitting with two holes for the gas tank bolts.

Auctmarts was the first Chinese fairing company to offer a proper nsr mc21 / mc 28 kit with a multiple piece tail section.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:03:56 AM by SeaR1ck »

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2018, 01:33:35 AM »
cheers for the tip, will bear them in mind for sure, ive seen the r.s kit on other Chinese sites but without recommendation I reckon the fitting wouldn't be great..... "pure 2 stroke sprit!" lost in translation ;D The centre piece for the tail fairing comes up on yahoo a fair bit.

SeaR1ck

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2018, 07:23:43 AM »
If you search for auctmarts reviews you'll find recent video reviews and other forums reviews.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:30:31 AM by SeaR1ck »

Hoatso

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »
Some of the Chinese vendors offer custom painting to match photos that you send them.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2018, 12:20:32 AM »
yes sent auctmarts some pics of the r.s, just fishing really to see if they could reproduce the design.I said I was looking for an accurate fit and reproduction of colour and size/ dimensions of decals etc They said they could reproduce the design in decals or paint, not sure how they get it accurate without original panels, but the s.p.r on their website looks pretty good, they quoted fitment as 90% accuracy whatever that means.

yanw

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
I have a set of China panels and the quality is "five foot". The fitment looks good from five foot away but close up or on photo shoots you can see the gaps.

If you are trying to do a NOS style build then you will be disapointed. If you want something to look OK while you use the bike and not s**t yourself about damaging original bodywork they are great.