Author Topic: Another 3XV project  (Read 37625 times)

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
Re: Another 3XV project
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2019, 03:30:27 PM »
You mentioned you may clean your tank out with citric acid? If so did you thoughrouhly rinse it? I found it to leave a sticky residue, I rinsed it to oblivion to ensure no residue left behind before swishing with premix.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2019, 09:21:43 PM »
Update. Discovered after the initial shake-down run that the speedo wasn't working and the left hand pot still is off song. Didn't get another chance to investigate until yesterday when the carb in question looked like this  :o

Tickover is lumpy on that cylinder and only clears once above 3500-4000 rpm, I dropped both float bowls but found little dirt at all. Next step is to revisit the suggestions received previously regarding idle/mixture setup but wanted to ensure the carbs were clear and inlet rubbers didn't have any issues. Stupid question, apologies, where is the idle jet situated in the carb? Is it above the float spring mechanism or elsewhere?

It was suggested that running the bike on the road should clear any carb issues but in reality cant see that happening so further investigation is needed before I lose the plot and swap it for a CG125 or similar  >:(   

P.S. Th pics are from the r/h upper carb which was seemingly running ok compared to the other one!

It might just be the picture quality but that fuel looks like sewage.
LOL. Nice one Phil, or watered down Diet Coke?
Forever a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

Steveog

« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2019, 01:22:53 AM »
I’m liking Bulldog’s idea. This might be discoloration from reside left by cleaning the tank. No particles. Just color tint. 

Phil should rehearse a “stand-up” act for clubs frequented by 2T bikers.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2019, 06:37:18 AM »
I’m liking Bulldog’s idea. This might be discoloration from reside left by cleaning the tank. No particles. Just color tint. 

Phil should rehearse a “stand-up” act for clubs frequented by 2T bikers.

Steve

The tank cleaning was actually the plan for my spare tank, this one only had minor pitting inside so merely added an in-line filter to the fuel tank to carbs pipe which is not showing any signs of dirt or debris. Will remove the carbs again this weekend and drain / replenish tank with fresh fuel to see if that makes any difference to the 'sewage'.  :-\

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
Next challenge.... 2nd shakedown test, turned on the lights a couple of miles from home, first stop junction I encountered the engine died, fired up ok but repeated at every subsequent stop and ran VERY lumpy. Guessing the battery wasn't charging so need to check no erroneous wiring issues otherwise the charging system may well be faulty. Possibly the lumpy running already encountered on one pot could be electrical and not fuelling as previously thought.

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »
The wiring block connector and the earth connection at the reg/rect unit can sometimes suffer from corrosion or a poor connection so that's generally my first suspicion for charging issues.

Might be worth a look?
Still Smoking...

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »
Did you find out why you had "sewage" ( phils quote)  in your carbs?

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2019, 11:14:25 PM »
The wiring block connector and the earth connection at the reg/rect unit can sometimes suffer from corrosion or a poor connection so that's generally my first suspicion for charging issues.

Might be worth a look?
Cheers Warwick, will be on that tomorrow. (-P)

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2019, 11:17:24 PM »
Did you find out why you had "sewage" ( phils quote)  in your carbs?

Not yet, work interrupted progress recently. Hoping to resolve that soon though  :-X

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2020, 10:15:55 AM »
After tweaking carbs yet again, took a short local ride at the weekend. Still ticking over too high, nearly there hopefully but pulling well afer rebuild  :)

ps Not fitted fairing lowers yet in order to be able to view any potential issues during shakedown runs.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:34:31 AM by thump566 »

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2020, 06:50:01 PM »
My bike was ticking over too high , carbs are off at the moment , hopeing a good clean sorts it.I also found a split fuel hose on the top left carb, wondering if that had any bearing on the over revving,

SouthCoastRich

• Please let this be finished :(
    • My TZR YouTube Videos
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »
My bike was ticking over too high , carbs are off at the moment , hopeing a good clean sorts it.I also found a split fuel hose on the top left carb, wondering if that had any bearing on the over revving,

That would seem a culprit for balance and lack of stable idle. I'd be tempted to change the fuel hose and test again - changing one thing at a time. BUT ... I'm sure others on here are more knowledgable than me!
RD 350 YPVS F2
TZR 250 3XV8 RS(P) - broken

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »
lol, im a way behind you in the que of the knowledgeable, ive replaced the hose, the carbs are with my mate whos got an expensive ultrasonic bath, ive had 2 years of hassle free running before this erratic idling, was sitting at 4000 on "tick over", and ran slightly rough, a good thrashing didn't improve the running, so off they came,a good clean certainly wont hurt, sorry Ron didn't mean to hijack your thread :o

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2020, 10:44:21 PM »
No worries.

A problem shared is often a problem halved  :)

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2021, 08:25:05 AM »
Wasn't sure which looked better once I mounted the lower fairings.

The red mudguard came with the Chinese bodywork set and the black OEM one from eBay (needed a minor repair and then respray from orange to black).... a 3XV is an ongoing maintenance / modification process  :-X

Any preferences anyone?