Author Topic: Paint or ceramic coat?  (Read 438 times)

claw74

Paint or ceramic coat?
« on: April 11, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
Hi,

Still not got round to paining my exhausts.  I just coated them in wd40 and cleaned them when I got back off a run as ive not had a lot of time.  I'm going to try and use the bike more this year and I want to sort the exhausts out. 

I'm a bit unsure how to prep the exhausts for painting as they have been covered in wd40.

I was going to go down the ceramic coating route as it is a lot more durable.  But I'm looking at about 200 quid including postage.

Anyone got any recommendations?  Paint it or coat?

TZRtim

• One day ill own a 3xv ...3ma...
Re: Paint or ceramic coat?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 06:21:31 PM »
I seen a episode of wheelers dealers recently and mike brewer had an old exhaust (from a car) manifold ceramic coated to better displace the heat quickly and more evenly , and it works by up to 70 % better heat loss . Now immediately i thought hhmm would this work on a tzr pipe especially on the bit nearest pv / barrel ? It was available in different colours too . May help heat problem in summer ? Not sure .
May the wind blow light and your groups shoot tight - UKV...  Biker and shooter for life ...

yanw

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 06:50:40 PM »
2T pipes should have been designed to retain heat on full chat in order to change the speed of sound and tuned length. Disapating heat may work against the design, but that does depend on the amount of heat lost.

ybk

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:19:49 AM »
Yan is right, thats why some guys put the wrapping tape around the headers.

When I had time I used to sand the pipes down and spray, that would kill an entire Saturday, nowadays I get them sandblasted and then spray. A nice satin black is usaully my choice.
Dropping the pipes off and having it back finished and ceramic coated is tempting though. Checking other forums and examples it looks like a nice tough finish though.. Comes down to personal preference really?

Any degreaser should be able to sort the WD40?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:21:22 AM by ybk »

SeaR1ck

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
My rgv and nsr 250 pipes are ceramic coated  (-P) the rgv is going on 10 years now.

scooble

James P

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 01:59:11 AM »
Anyone got any recommendations?  Paint it or coat?

If there is any likelihood of you wanting to modify, repair or repaint/recoat the pipes in the future, find out what is involved in removing any of the coatings you are considering. Paint is generally a lot easier to remove than any of those ceramic-type coatings.

Regards,
James

claw74

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
Hi,

Just ordered plastikote bbq paint.  So will give that a go. I can always ceramic coat when I've got some free cash.