Author Topic: Battery Drain Overnight  (Read 170 times)

jcsnook

Battery Drain Overnight
« on: April 18, 2018, 01:53:30 PM »
Has anyone else had an issue with their battery draining overnight while plugged into the loom?

I just bought a new battery, so...assuming it is a good battery...any clue as to what would cause this drain?  I've trickle charged it back up, and will let it sit overnight on it's own to see if it dies, to rule out a bad battery.  But if it's not, wondering if there would be something specific I should check first.  Voltage regulator?  I'm not really a sparkie, and have limited equipment, a volt meter and a test light is about it.

I've not had an electrical issue with this bike since I've owned it.
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

SeaR1ck

Re: Battery Drain Overnight
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:48:05 PM »
Was the battery pre charged new? Sometimes they get weak sitting on the shelves. Try charging it up and see if it happens again. If it's not holding a charge i would suspect bad battery.

ybk

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 07:45:34 AM »
The stock type batteries are pretty weak to start with so they are usually the fault. Have you got a fancy charger that will give a battery health status after charging? My optimate will give a red, orange or green light depending on battery overall health.

Been toying with getting a lithium battery but then you need a new charger as well.. :-\

yanw

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »
The NOCO G1100 charger that Phil Mellor recommended does Lithium batteries and is a nice charger. Cheers Phil!

jcsnook

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:26:23 PM »
Charged it back up and let it sit again overnight on it's own.  Checked it the next day with a meter, and it was still 13 + volts, so not expecting that it is a bad battery now.

I'll make a small jumper wire to go between the positive side of the battery plug, and the battery, then hook my volt/ohm meter up between the negative side of the plug and the battery to see if there is a parasitic draw.  I don't recall these bikes having a fuse box, so I guess I'll have to just unplug things till I find what's causing the draw (if I find one).

jcsnook

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
It took me two tries off eBay to get a functioning voltage regulator.  I ended up with a $12 one that works fine, and does not seem to draw down the battery.  The first one would not let the bike rev.  Very odd I thought.