Author Topic: lumpy gear change ?  (Read 122 times)

gubbyj

lumpy gear change ?
« on: April 30, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »
hi everyone i fnally got the 3xv all sorted and on the road. seems as if it has lumpy gear change like when the cush drive rubbers are bad on a bigger bike, like it thers a bit of jump when letting clutch out . there i some play in the cush drive but not much .or is this just the character of the bike .  could even be the clutch i suppose  ?

ybk

Re: lumpy gear change ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 02:52:05 AM »
Is your chain tension and the rear wheel alignment ok? Never really came across worn out cush rubbers..

gubbyj

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 11:48:28 AM »
the tension etc seems ok ,bike was stood for a long time so its fairly old chain .

Steveog

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »
My 3xv has a brand new chain and sprockets. It exhibits a bit of surging and obvious drive-line lash when using constant low throttle setting, as in trying to maintain the 15mph staging pit speed limit. Once up to speed, all is good. Wondering if my issue is pilot jet related or perhaps carb sync. 
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

Hoatso

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 06:25:12 PM »
Maybe the clutch plates are sticking together, or there are notches in the clutch basket, or the cable needs lube? You can lay the bike on its left side, take the clutch side cover off, and look at the clutch while pulling the lever in/out. Pull the clutch in, put it in 1st gear, and spin the rear wheel. Feel if the clutch is dragging. Maybe cable adjustment is too loose.

Yamaha dirt bikes in the 1970's and 80's always used to have their clutch plates stick together if it had been sitting for months. You could ride it with the clutch pulled in and then it would break free.