Author Topic: another battery fooked  (Read 112 times)

nic fan

• Steve
another battery fooked
« on: May 12, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »
Popped out to clean the bike today and thought get it done quick and may get a ride this afternoon.
Turned the ignition on nothing connected the battery to the oximiser 601 and got a red light under 3 volts / dead. Bugger had issues with the battery loosing charge in the past so put a switch in to cut the supply in case there was a drain somewhere and that solved the issue. So I assume the last ride I must have forgot to flick the switch.
Anyone have any suggestions re where the drain may be or could it be anything. 

any way of salvaging the dead battery?   
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

bulldogboy

Re: another battery fooked
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »
mine loses charge on my 3xv, I have one on charge now and one in the bike, if its dead when I get the bike out I just swap it for the one on charge, but I like the idea of a switch.

AHAMAYfrank

• Old 2-stroker / Dead end road / Carrollton, GA, US
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »
Could you just use a smoothing condenser and eliminate the need for your battery?

In the US we have a regulation that states that you need to be able to light the tail light with the bike not running, but I have never had to prove that to anyone.  ;)  We don't have any required inspections in my area.

Frank S.
2017 Ducati SuperSport939S, 2005 Scorpa SY250R, 1991/2014 Yamaha TZR450F, 1992 3XV4, 1991 3XV1, 1987 Suzuki RG500CH, 1977 Yamaha TY250D, 1973 Yamaha AT-3 (for the runners).

jcsnook

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 03:12:43 AM »
I traced the draw on mine to the voltage regulator.  Unplugged it, and the drain went away.

You tube has several videos on parasitic draw on a battery.  Without a fuse box, tracing issues is a bit more of a challenge.
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
thanks I'll take a look i have a regulator somewhere but finding it is another issue.
was lucky with the battery the oximiser didn't want to know but chucked it on my old charger on full for an hour then onto trickle overnight and it seems to be ok, unlike the motobat battery when that went dead flat it will charge to full ok but put the meter on it and you can watch it going down from around 12.8 down to about 11.5 which is where it sits (I won't waist my money on another one of those)   
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda