Author Topic: another battery fooked  (Read 523 times)

nic fan

• Steve
another battery fooked
« on: May 12, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »
Popped out to clean the bike today and thought get it done quick and may get a ride this afternoon.
Turned the ignition on nothing connected the battery to the oximiser 601 and got a red light under 3 volts / dead. Bugger had issues with the battery loosing charge in the past so put a switch in to cut the supply in case there was a drain somewhere and that solved the issue. So I assume the last ride I must have forgot to flick the switch.
Anyone have any suggestions re where the drain may be or could it be anything. 

any way of salvaging the dead battery?   
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

bulldogboy

Re: another battery fooked
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »
mine loses charge on my 3xv, I have one on charge now and one in the bike, if its dead when I get the bike out I just swap it for the one on charge, but I like the idea of a switch.

AHAMAYfrank

• Old 2-stroker / Dead end road / Carrollton, GA, US
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »
Could you just use a smoothing condenser and eliminate the need for your battery?

In the US we have a regulation that states that you need to be able to light the tail light with the bike not running, but I have never had to prove that to anyone.  ;)  We don't have any required inspections in my area.

Frank S.
2017 Ducati SuperSport939S, 2005 Scorpa SY250R, 1991/2014 Yamaha TZR450F, 1992 3XV4, 1991 3XV1,1991 3YL, 1987 Suzuki RG500CH, 1977 Yamaha TY250D, 1973 Yamaha AT-3 (for the runners).

jcsnook

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 03:12:43 AM »
I traced the draw on mine to the voltage regulator.  Unplugged it, and the drain went away.

You tube has several videos on parasitic draw on a battery.  Without a fuse box, tracing issues is a bit more of a challenge.
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
thanks I'll take a look i have a regulator somewhere but finding it is another issue.
was lucky with the battery the oximiser didn't want to know but chucked it on my old charger on full for an hour then onto trickle overnight and it seems to be ok, unlike the motobat battery when that went dead flat it will charge to full ok but put the meter on it and you can watch it going down from around 12.8 down to about 11.5 which is where it sits (I won't waist my money on another one of those)   
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

Jim Lyon

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 04:58:50 PM »
<SNIPPED>
the motobat battery (I won't waist my money on another one of those)

So, value 4 money, which is the best brand of battery & where should I get it from these days? - TIA
YAMAHA RIDERS GO IN DEEPER AND COME OUT HARDER

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 11:24:45 PM »
<SNIPPED>

So, value 4 money, which is the best brand of battery & where should I get it from these days? - TIA
Hi Jim hard to say realy its like everything sometimes you get a new item that just goes bad
some people will have had no problems with the motobat.
you pays your money and takes your chance.
Oh and the Yuasa didnt make it either it went flat again didnt have time to pick and choose
so it was off to Halfords for another Yuasa YB5L-B Yumicron Motorcycle Battery and i have
also brought a halfords solar charger thats conected to the bike so hopefully that will keep it topped up now regardless.

TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

Jim Lyon

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 12:08:46 AM »
<SNIPPED>

Hi Jim hard to say realy its like everything sometimes you get a new item that just goes bad
some people will have had no problems with the motobat.
you pays your money and takes your chance.
Oh and the Yuasa didnt make it either it went flat again didnt have time to pick and choose
so it was off to Halfords for another Yuasa YB5L-B Yumicron Motorcycle Battery and i have
also brought a halfords solar charger thats conected to the bike so hopefully that will keep it topped up now regardless.

Thanks for the prompt reply :) - Seems you don't have too much faith in quality control? From time to time I come across all too brief comments on more modern solid state batteries that are significantly lighter. Anybody come to any conclusions as to whether or not they are a whorthwhile update? The solar charger seems an interesting idea! If you come to any firm conclusions on it let us know.
  Cheers,
   Jim

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:03:20 PM »
well ollocks ollocks ollocks not used the 4DL for some time but as mentioned its connected to a solar charger.
popped outside just now to check it and give it a quick startup and the battery is completely dead so if the solar charger thig is working the drain must be more than the solar charger is putting in so that's yet another battery fooked I've only had 2 or 3 runouts on that battery.

so any electrical guys out there that can explain in plain English how I go about tracing the drain.

as at this rate I'll need to buy a new battery every time I want to go for a ride.

TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

Jim Lyon

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »
<SNIPPED>
so any electrical guys out there that can explain in plain English how I go about tracing the drain.

No I can't but you could try "Practical Sportsbikes" column ""What's the problem?" E-mail them @

Psportsbikes@bauermedia.co.uk

Their electrician "Ferret" should be able to help. Failing that there is a "Practical Sportsbikes" Forum on Facebook. Somebody on there might be able to help?
 - HTH?

Jim

tzr-v4

• South West of France
    • French RD500LC Club
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 05:54:28 PM »
Do you really need a battery ?

On my DTR200 which has more or less the same engine from same era... No battery on just a battery eliminator.

This is more or less a big capacitor which replace the battery.

Fuel on, kick start and ride...

Only thing is the YPVS will not perform the cleaning cycle before the engine runs but cleaning is done with CDI or YPVS motor is powered (the YPVS control is in the ypvs motor on these bikes).

Easy to build or buy !!!
http://www.zeeltronic.com/page/bat_elim.php
Olivier.
TZR250 2MA & 2XT, RD500s et TZR-V4 building...

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 08:45:25 PM »
<SNIPPED>

No I can't but you could try "Practical Sportsbikes" column ""What's the problem?" E-mail them @

Psportsbikes@bauermedia.co.uk

Their electrician "Ferret" should be able to help. Failing that there is a "Practical Sportsbikes" Forum on Facebook. Somebody on there might be able to help?
 - HTH?

Jim
cheers Jim and thanks for the links will look into that.
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 09:56:54 PM »
Do you really need a battery ?

On my DTR200 which has more or less the same engine from same era... No battery on just a battery eliminator.

This is more or less a big capacitor which replace the battery.

Fuel on, kick start and ride...

Only thing is the YPVS will not perform the cleaning cycle before the engine runs but cleaning is done with CDI or YPVS motor is powered (the YPVS control is in the ypvs motor on these bikes).

Easy to build or buy !!!
http://www.zeeltronic.com/page/bat_elim.php

cheers tzr-v4
Do I really need a battery? well as there is no kick start on a 4DL it sort of helps getting it started  ;)
and as I'm nearly 65 I don't fancy bump starting it every time I fancy taking it out.

but I thank you for your input and with a different bike I could see that being a solution to the problem.
TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

tzr-v4

• South West of France
    • French RD500LC Club
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 10:09:28 PM »
I was not aware that 4DL has only electric starter!!!

So next time, you will have to add a kick starter mechanism and forget the battery  ;D ;D

Bump start is the only way to bring a proper bike (ie a 2 strokes)  ;D ;D

Just joking.

Can you give information on the solar system you were using to try to maintain the battery charged ?

With a multimeter set to Amp position, you should be able to measure the current "escaping" front the battery when bike is off on the red wire on + connection of the battery.

https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Amperage

Olivier.
Olivier.
TZR250 2MA & 2XT, RD500s et TZR-V4 building...

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »
I was not aware that 4DL has only electric starter!!!

So next time, you will have to add a kick starter mechanism and forget the battery  ;D ;D

Bump start is the only way to bring a proper bike (ie a 2 strokes)  ;D ;D

Just joking.

Can you give information on the solar system you were using to try to maintain the battery charged ?

With a multimeter set to Amp position, you should be able to measure the current "escaping" front the battery when bike is off on the red wire on + connection of the battery.

https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Amperage

Olivier.
cheers Olivier the solar system was just one of Halfords own brand chargers.

TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda