Author Topic: busted temperature gauge 3xv rs  (Read 393 times)

bulldogboy

busted temperature gauge 3xv rs
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:45:03 PM »
evening all, temperature gauge doesn't seem to be working on my 3xv, is this a common problem?could there be any other reason for it not working, or is it likely to be the gauge itself? and are they hard to change? theres a few knocking about on ebay at the mo,any ideas?

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
Re: busted temperature gauge 3xv rs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 11:29:29 PM »
Have you checked the temp sender on the thermostat housing? The cable connector tang is brittle and breaks quite easily.
Still Smoking...

bulldogboy

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:10:25 AM »
Hi Warwick, er no i hadnt checked that, could you point me in the direction of its location ? Many thanks.

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:24:29 AM »
The 'stat housing is the big aluminium lump under the tank that the water hoses from the cylinder heads connect to. The temp sender is a bolt in the top of the 'stat with a flat tang that the temp sender wire slips on to. 50p says that'll be your problem  ;).
Still Smoking...

bulldogboy

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:03:56 AM »
Thanks warwick, shall investigate when i have a minuite! 50p eh,   ;D

bulldogboy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »
P.s does the tank and top airbox have to come off to access the stat housing or can it be accessed from the side through the frame?

jcsnook

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 02:35:38 PM »
Tank has to come off.  You can probably work around the airbox, but that's a couple of bolts and a hose clamp.  All easy peasy to remove when the tank is off.

I need a new sending unit as well.  I think it was Warwick that steered me towards the Land Rover unit for cheap.  The Yamaha one is pricey.
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

bulldogboy

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 09:42:42 PM »
thanks guys shall investigate when I get time, if its knackered shall look into  the land rover unit (-P) do you have the land rover part number jcsnook?

jcsnook

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »
No, but I had this one saved on my eBay watch list.  I think they are all about the same, you just have to look for the proper spade connector on top, or you'll end up having to adapt something.  Some of the Rover ones have a male bullet connector on top.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-FACET-Antifreeze-Coolant-Temperature-Sensor-Sender-7-3069-Top-Qualit/401482928054?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 10:58:51 PM »
replaced my 4DL gauge with one of these when mine broke

TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

bulldogboy

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:04:25 PM »
trick ! I like it, where did you get that from? is the  3xv same size as 4dl? thanks for the link ebay link jcsnook ill check it out.

bulldogboy

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 11:12:21 PM »
just ordered a sender via the link you sent me jcsnook, cheers for that mate, no point taking it all to bits if I haven't got the part to replace it, for 8 1/2 quid be rude not to have one.

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 12:32:59 AM »
trick ! I like it, where did you get that from? is the  3xv same size as 4dl? thanks for the link ebay link jcsnook ill check it out.

Hi itís just a 2" 52MM 20 LED UNIVERSAL DIGITAL CAR WATER TEMP TEMPERATURE GAUGE METER
From ebay it came with the temp sender but i had to get a 1/8" x 27 TPI NPT(National Pipe Taper) HSS Die Nut.
To re-cut the thread. And I had to mod the instrument housing to fit it but Iím very happy with it.
It shows the temp for a period of time the switches to show the voltage for a while then back to temp recurring

TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 09:10:22 AM »
No, but I had this one saved on my eBay watch list.  I think they are all about the same, you just have to look for the proper spade connector on top, or you'll end up having to adapt something.  Some of the Rover ones have a male bullet connector on top.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-FACET-Antifreeze-Coolant-Temperature-Sensor-Sender-7-3069-Top-Qualit/401482928054?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I actually prefer the bullet top type myself, Jim. If you just swap the female spade connector to a female bullet you have a much more robust connector and connection  O0. The spade type always seem to break eventually, but I've never yet had a bullet type fail. I had a quick look for the part number of the type I use, but I couldn't find it, sadly. Last one I bought was only 2 or 3 quid though as I recall. If the part number shows up, I'll tag it on the thread for reference, but a bit of searching on ebay or whatever would probably turn that type up  (-P).

I like the digi guage you use, Nicfan. Is there a way to adjust it so that it just shows the temp continually?
Still Smoking...

bulldogboy

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »
Sender turned up today, does this look ok warwick, i know its not bullet type :-\