Author Topic: I hurt my TZR  (Read 2231 times)

jcsnook

I hurt my TZR
« on: May 14, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
On a recent 2 stroke bike week event in the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee, I got off the pavement and put the bike down.  Nothing too terrible thankfully, but I'll be need a few weeks to heal, and a few parts to put the bike back together.  I got up and rode the bike a few miles back to the resort, it ran and handled fine.  I wasn't going that fast when it happened.  Rider error :(  just stood the bike up in a hard left, and ended up off the pavement.  I must of bounced my back off a granite wall as I ended up with a few fractured ribs and a punctured lung.

I'll probably replaced the damaged bodywork with a Chinese kit, but will need a mirror mount, mirror, turn signal, windscreen, etc.  I may replace the meter/headlight bracket as well if I can get a good one reasonable, or maybe try and straighten it out.

Anybody pull these off their track bike and need to move them?  ;D
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!

jcsnook

Re: I hurt my TZR
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
Another pic.  That was an original Yamaha nose fairing too damnit!  Wish I'd swapped that out prior to damaging it.  :-[
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:51:44 PM by jcsnook »

chubba

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:18:01 PM »
Ouch
Did the rg go down the road too

jcsnook

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 08:10:41 PM »
Ouch
Did the rg go down the road too

No, but it went poof on the first ride.  Lost #3 cylinder.  Limped it back to the resort and pulled the plug.  All silver with bits of aluminum buried deep in the plug.  Put another in and fired it up - no go.  Put the cover over the bike for the rest of the week.  :'(

AHAMAYfrank

• Old 2-stroker / Dead end road / Carrollton, GA, US
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 09:12:58 PM »
Wow Jim, that was a tough week.  Glad you are ok, just a bit damaged.
2017 Ducati SuperSport939S, 2005 Scorpa SY250R, 1991/2014 Yamaha TZR450F, 1991 Yamaha 3XV1, 1991 Yamaha 3YL, 1987 Suzuki RG500CH, 1985 Yamaha RZ500N, 1985 Honda NS400R, 1977 Yamaha TY250D, 1973 Yamaha AT-3 (for the runners).

jcsnook

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:28:56 PM »

Yes, and an expensive one as well.  What kinda spares you got Frank?  8)  What kind of discount do you get on parts thru Yamaha?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:53:07 PM by jcsnook »

injapan

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 11:43:52 PM »
Glad you are ok Jim thats the important thing, the bike can always be repaired.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&p=TZR250R+3XV+%E7%B4%94%E6%AD%A3+%E3%82%A2%E3%83%83%E3%83%91%E3%83%BC%E3%83%95%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88%E3%82%AB%E3%82%A6%E3%83%AB&x=0&y=0&fixed=0

Let me know if you need some help with getting some parts from Yahoo auction, the chinese kit looks ok but the original ones are far batter.

Cheers
Mark
TZR250R SP 3XVB Road X 2
TZR250R SP 3XVB Race
KTM250 TPI Six Days Supermoto

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 09:12:28 AM »
Sorry to hear, Jim. Get well soon - you and the bike!  (-P) 
Still Smoking...

jcsnook

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 03:42:10 PM »
Glad you are ok Jim thats the important thing, the bike can always be repaired.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&p=TZR250R+3XV+%E7%B4%94%E6%AD%A3+%E3%82%A2%E3%83%83%E3%83%91%E3%83%BC%E3%83%95%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88%E3%82%AB%E3%82%A6%E3%83%AB&x=0&y=0&fixed=0

Let me know if you need some help with getting some parts from Yahoo auction, the Chinese kit looks ok but the original ones are far batter.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks for the links and the offer to help Mark.  I know you've been burned in the past when helping others, so I was trying not to trouble you with any of this.  I'm currently bidding on a few parts thru the fromjapan bidding service.  With what I need, it should be pretty straight forward.  Nothing with gas/oil involved, so hopefully smooth sailing.

I would love to have another original nose fairing, but not critical at the moment to get the bike going again.  If one pops up for sale at a decent price, I'll grab it and store it away.  I'd meant to put a set of Chinese panels on the bike before taking it up there, but never got around to it.  Damn!!

Sorry to hear, Jim. Get well soon - you and the bike!  (-P) 

Cheers Warwick.  I'm still slow going, and have not felt like tearing into the bike as of yet.  Want to heal up for another week or so, then I'm sure I'll feel better.  Not going to the doctor for a week saved me having a tube inserted into my lungs to reinflate it.  They were a bit puzzled that i'd been walking around for a week with five fractured ribs a punctured lung lung.  I'd not really ever felt out of breath, just like I was kicked by a horse in the side...lol

AHAMAYfrank

• Old 2-stroker / Dead end road / Carrollton, GA, US
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »

Yes, and an expensive one as well.  What kinda spares you got Frank?  8)  What kind of discount do you get on parts thru Yamaha?

Jim,

I really don't have any painted part spares at all other than a couple front fenders, but they have both been repainted. 

I will be glad to help with any Yamaha parts I can, just send me part numbers.  US Yamaha parts that fit TZRs are pretty limited from what I have seen.  The only way I can get them is if they were used on another US model.   I did see one 3XV part I could get and that was the little 1/4 turn, rivet on fairing fasteners 3XV-2177L-00.  They are $6.44 each retail though, ouch.

Frank
2017 Ducati SuperSport939S, 2005 Scorpa SY250R, 1991/2014 Yamaha TZR450F, 1991 Yamaha 3XV1, 1991 Yamaha 3YL, 1987 Suzuki RG500CH, 1985 Yamaha RZ500N, 1985 Honda NS400R, 1977 Yamaha TY250D, 1973 Yamaha AT-3 (for the runners).

Steveog

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »
Very sorry. Next time, don't fuck around with chest injuries. You could have bleed to death. Glad you're OK.

I can help with mirrors from a '91 TZR 3xv1. Pic attached.

Edit: Also have a stock headlight and turn signals. No pics, but it is in great shape. Can shoot one in a few days. Going to the National Corvette Museum track tomorrow.

Sorry, if I sounded like a dick concerning your chest injuries. In 45 years of street riding, I've had many injuries including broken ribs, punctured lung and collapsed lung. I was not being condescending, only concerned when a fellow sport rider ignores injuries. We by nature take risks and suffer the consequences others can never realize. They also miss the trill.

All my best.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:03:39 AM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

jcsnook

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 09:03:52 PM »

Sorry, if I sounded like a dick concerning your chest injuries. In 45 years of street riding, I've had many injuries including broken ribs, punctured lung and collapsed lung. I was not being condescending, only concerned when a fellow sport rider ignores injuries. We by nature take risks and suffer the consequences others can never realize. They also miss the trill.

All my best.

No offense taken Steve, you are correct.  I really didn't feel that bad, just felt bruised up.  In hindsight, I should have hit the emergency room as soon as I got home, but I know they don't typically do anything for cracked/bruised ribs, and honestly, that's all I thought I had.

Anyway...damn, I wish you had posted this a while back.  I've been shopping at Yahoo and have scored, new black Yamaha mirrors, headlight, mirror and turn signal brackets, and a couple of other things.  I would have a look at your turn signals tho.  I think I may have some spares, but not sure if they are front or rear...or if there is even a difference between them?

Steveog

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 09:10:03 PM »
Good you understood my intention. You're right about no real medical solution for cracked or bruised ribs.

Glad you found parts. I'll get you some pics tomorrow. No energy today following Superbike School. It was quite enlightening. A 27 year old two-stroke, ridden by a 67 year old guy, running down a couple of 2018 BMW S1000RR's. I'm a decent rider, but know the track, which has some technical turns...perfect for the TZR with almost new Michelins. I also got blown away on the straights more than I passed anyone.

Once posted, the experts here can tell you if what I have are front or back signals or if there's a difference. They look to be in great shape.

I also have showroom new-looking, left bar switch gear.

Hope you heal quickly.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

jcsnook

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 01:08:40 AM »
Awesome Steve!  Just PM me the pix.  If it's easier to email, let me know and I'll PM you my email

Hoatso

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 04:13:55 AM »
Sorry to hear you crashed. Were you on Tail of the Dragon? Nice country.