Author Topic: VALUE OF 1KT / 2MA BIKES FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES,UK ONLY.  (Read 707 times)

teezer250

• 2 x TZR250 1KT's 1986
VALUE OF 1KT / 2MA BIKES FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES,UK ONLY.
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:57:43 PM »
What value do you insure your bike for as it is hard to put a realistic value on what it's worth as so many things to take into account,E.G. Year of manufacture,initial price paid,repairs,overall condition,standard or modifications.

I have one of my 1986 1KT's insured at 2300,good condition,standard apart from the modification of braided brake hoses.
This cost me 1700 to buy in 2004.

My other 1986 1KT I have insured at 2700,excellent condition and standard with the added modifications,hagon rear shock,gold spot caliper,braided brake hoses,seat cowl.
This bike was built by myself 3 years ago from parts I already had,frame,forks,engine,fairings,tank,seat,wheels,clocks and a few other bits in the loft.
The parts that were missing were acquired off members on here and YPMRC forum members and off ebay.
The total build cost including powder coating of parts and various new fasteners came to 2700 which is what it is insured for.

I'm not sure if my bikes are undervalued and I know a bike is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Any input from uk members of these bikes would help to determine what these bikes are roughly worth depending on condition etc.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:12:48 PM by teezer250 »

davewills4

Re: VALUE OF 1KT / 2MA BIKES FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES,UK ONLY.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
Hi teezer, very similar to you  insured my 1 kt  for 2500. But as you say only worth what someone is willing to pay. So many TZR's for sale on eBay way overpriced not selling  and have been for sale for along time with no bids.

semaj

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
There is one on Ebay now with bids at 3500.00 so things may be on the rise?

teezer250

• 2 x TZR250 1KT's 1986
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »
And another 4 besides on ebay with prices varying between 2225 privately and 3995 from a dealer in various states of condition.
Usually something will need repairing or replacing adding to the cost.

teezer250

• 2 x TZR250 1KT's 1986
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »
Well,would you believe it,after 12 days from my original post,129 views yet only 1 positive reply from davewills4,a UK 1kt/2ma owner,thank you Dave.
Do no other 1kt/2ma owners insure their bikes or know what they are worth or has apathy set in???
I have just renewed my bikes insurance and increased their value and no I won't be disclosing their value now.

claw74

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »
I was wondering how much they are worth.  Other two strokes seem to be rocketing, but for some reason the Tzr 250 2ma haven't risen much. 

So many people had TZR 125.  But the demand for the Tzr 250 2ma is nowhere near as high as the LCs which are now going for stupid money.

I insured mine last year for 2500.  Its unrestored but in good condition for its age. I spent quite a lot more than that on it.  So i think this year I will insure it for 2800.

teezer250

• 2 x TZR250 1KT's 1986
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 04:14:05 PM »
I think your value of 2800 is around the right price,or a little higher,going off the condition you have said.
Recently there has been quite a few of these bikes in rough(ish) condition on ebay commanding prices of 2225 and upwards and requiring quite a bit of money spending on them to get them in rideable and MOT worthy condition and personally I would not pay anywhere near the asking price.
The word moneypit springs to mind with most of them.

morepower

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 10:26:01 PM »
Not sure if you have got classic bike insurance or not. Sounds like you are looking at classic insurance, I would be honest with yourself and look at what people are trying to sell a similar condition bike for at the moment on eBay. You may think those prices are over the top but if you have a guaranteed value and something happens you know you can go out and replace it. Also I would say how things are those prices may be realistic within the next 12 months.

I have not insured the TZR yet as it is all in bits at the moment and at least 6 months away from even being ridden. But the NSR has been insured with a guaranteed value of 5500.00. It may seem too much or some may say its about right. I just know if something happens I can replace it or buy back the salvage and rebuild it with what I have insured it for.

claw74

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »
Currently one on ebay with 2 days left, bids over 3000.

SparkUK

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 08:15:31 AM »
I think if you had to go out tomorrow and replace one, you'd struggle to do that quickly for less than 3k, especially if you wanted a good one.