Author Topic: best way to stop a fairing crack travelling  (Read 2827 times)

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
Re: best way to stop a fairing crack travelling
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 09:14:53 PM »
Thanks guys, very helpfull, goes against the grain drilling a hole through the fairing at the end of the crack! Suppose once fixed it can be touched in, you can see from pic its right through the decals,dont spose the decals for a 94 rs are still available are they? J.b weld sounds bit more professional than lego!

evan_calgary

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 10:30:51 PM »
Don't use regular JB Weld!  Use only the plastic repair syringes.  Regular JB Weld does not adhere properly to plastic and has absolutely zero flexibility so it cracks very quickly.  The details in that article may work but they are a poor solution.  Any time you melt plastic either with heat or chemicals it gets brittle.  Plastic always flexes.  Brittle things crack.  Must repair with something with some flexibility..

Get a new decal, repair behind the decal and it will hardly be noticeable.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:33:36 PM by evan_calgary »

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 11:59:40 PM »
someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think those decals are available anymore? ok, so, I'm going with the j.b plastic weld,for the flexibility, and have ordered some fine repair mesh to span the crack and increase strength. I'm sure the lego method works,and the plastic welding works, but I take the point about the need for flexibility , not looking forward to drilling a hole in my fairings though!

nic fan

• Steve
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 12:29:53 AM »
I never had a problem with plastex being brittle as you can see below the left part of the V section was broken clean off it has no reinforcing it has been on the bike for well over a year and has been taken on and off several times with no ill affect.
but like with everything each has there preferences be it music, films, bikes or repairing fairings all you can do is experiment until you find something you are happy with. good luck with whatever method you use 

TZR125r 4DL1 Belgarda

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 07:41:40 AM »
there was a 2 page how to article the other month in practical sportsbike magazine, if I find it out tonight ill try and load a photo up

Just thinking the same as I saw an article there too. If I locate a different one to yours will post it up. I bought a bundle of cracked OEM panels a while back in Southampton so will need to go down this route also.  (-P)
Forever a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

evan_calgary

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
Possible Plastex is a similar product.  Is it a 2-part epoxy-like substance?

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
J.b weld turned up today and the numpty sent orange instead of white, so the jobs on hold, grrrrr

Steveog

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »
Here's another option that is inexpensive, easy and cures in about 5 minutes. Rough up the surface around the crack and wash clean with water. Then, open up the backside of crack with a Dremel tool. Not much. Just as YBK described. Blow dry. Put a piece of Gaffer tape on the visible side to hold the joint together, as tight as possible. (Do not duct tape, but get the stuff Film and TV gaffers use. Its properly adhesive, but tends not to pull off paint when removed).

Now, using the "original" super-glue, liberally lay down enough to fill the groove you've made on the back side. No worry if you over do it a bit. Then, quickly cover the super glue with baking soda. Acting quickly, blow off excess baking soda, then repeat with another, more copious dose of super glue and more baking soda. You need to have this compound laying over the crack by about double its original width. Blow off excess.

I have no clue to the magic of the chemistry behind this mix, but it is much stronger than the original plastic. It is very hard, but if done properly, the plastic will break in another spot before this bonding compound.

I've used this to fix many plastic parts over the years, including throttle housings. The trick is a rough, but clean surface before application. Absolutely, no petroleum or even oil from your fingers. Also, be careful to not let this stuff glue you fingers together. Surgical gloves are recommenced. This stuff can be sanded and Dremeled, but read warning below.

Warning: Do not breath the fumes that are created during the application process or during grinding or smoothing. It is much like sticking a piece of green Wasabe up you nose...I imagine.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:15:17 PM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »
Interesting stevog, loads of ways to skin a cat it appears, thanks for all the tips guys will report back when job done.

teezer250

• NO TZR250 1KT 1986 ANY MORE
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
Plumbers solvent weld should also be okay as the pipe is made from ABS.