Author Topic: Oil Consumption !  (Read 190 times)

davewills4

Oil Consumption !
« on: June 06, 2018, 10:05:49 PM »
Hi folks, just a question on how much 2t oil your bikes use. As mine seems to be running very rich and has used about a litre  in the last 400 or so miles. Have had the pump serviced and before I had that done noticed the adjustment on full throttle was way out but since adjusting it to proper specs in the manual seems to be burning a lot of oil  ?:-| . Replaced plugs just now and old ones were fairly wet with a tinge of brown. Cheers Dave

teezer250

• 2 x TZR250 1KT's 1986
Re: Oil Consumption !
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
Yesterday I did a 250 mile fast ride to north wales and back and used 700ml of oil which works out at 100ml of oil for every 35 miles roughly.
Your figures are pretty close to mine (100ml per 40 miles roughly) so they seem about right.
I can't find anything in the manual about oil consumption based on miles per litre,only ml per 200 strokes.

I have just read a tzr250 article in classic motorcycle mechanics from september 2005 which states you should get around 200 miles per pint (568 ml) so yours and mine seem about right,depending how HARD they are ridden.

One of my bikes is running on Castrol power1 (on yesterdays ride) and the other on Motul 510,both semi-synthetic.
The reason I run 2 different oils is I already had the motul 510 and tesco were selling off their Castrol power1 at 2.50 per litre so I bought the last remaining 8 bottles last year from a nearby tesco fuel station.

davewills4

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:47:06 PM »
Cheers Teezer, just before the pump was serviced would do almost double the miles for the same amount of oil . Is your bike pretty smokey even when up to running temp? As mine just seems a bit to smokey even for a smoker.
Dave

teezer250

• 2 x TZR250 1KT's 1986
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »
When both of mine are up to temperature,there is very little smoke,if any.

When you had your pump serviced,the pump stroke might have been altered by thicker/extra shim(s) when rebuilt.
Apparently,forum member Arrow sets the pump stroke for these models to 8 thou (0.20mm) when he rebuilds them (yours included) and looking back on one of your previous posts,the mark did not line up with the peg on full throttle so you would have been using less oil than required.
I run both my bikes on semi-synthetic oil,fully synthetic is unnecessary on these bikes unless highly tuned.

The minimum pump stroke is 0.15-0.20mm.
The maximum pump stroke is 2.05-2.27mm.
These settings are in the maintenance specifications and how to do it in the inspection/adjustment section in the workshop manual.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:22:54 PM by teezer250 »

Arrow

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »
You can make the minimum stroke 6 thou if you think you need to. Its something that should be checked every 2000 miles anyway, but your using the same amount of oil as teezer, maybe a bit less as he says.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:47:29 AM by Arrow »