Author Topic: TM28 Carb Supplier?  (Read 2468 times)

Hamr Mark

TM28 Carb Supplier?
« on: June 14, 2018, 06:21:15 AM »
Hey Gang,

So the tear down is almost complete. Next step is prep for paint / powdercoat and trying to source parts. 

First I am looking for is a new of carbs for my '87 1KT. I have googled and found some, but usually set up for single carb dirt bike running. Anyone know of a place setting up and selling new carbs for our bikes (remote choke for example)?

Thanks.

Ham'r
Thanks, Mark

James P

• Sydney, Australia
Re: TM28 Carb Supplier?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:46:23 PM »
Mark,

Do you want standard-type TZR carbs with angled bores (i.e. TM28SS) or non-standard TM28 straight-bore carbs, as found on Suzuki RG250s (and some RM80s)? If you want the straight-bore TM28, these are available as aftermarket products from Mikuni dealers (https://www.mikunioz.com/shop/tm28-418-28mm-mikuni-tm-carburetor/). These can be converted to cable-operated choke/starter, but the standard TZR parts won't work.

If you want the standard-type TZR TM28SS carb, I have never seen these available from a Mikuni dealer - I think they were only available as genuine Yamaha parts (or Kawasaki, as they were also used on the KR250). However, I think you would be extremely lucky to find complete NOS carbs nowadays!

There were a few Yamahas that used TM28SS carbs, including:

TZR250 1KT-based models (including 2XT)
TZR250 3XV (R and RS models)
TDR250 2YK and variants
R1-Z 3XC (actually TM26SS, but can be modified)
DT200R 3ET-based models
DT125R later models - not 100% sure which ones
TZR125 later models - again, not 100% sure which ones (not the Italian-built 4DL)

The above models used the same basic carbs, but all had subtle differences.

Also of possible interest is the TMX30, as used on DT200WR (3XP), WR200 (4BF) and DT230 (4TP). The TMX30 is also available aftermarket - https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/carburettor+mikuni+tmx+30+_40070000 (there is also a near-identical TMX27 available).

I'm not sure whether your engine (and more particularly your air-intake system) is standard or modified, or how much effort you want to make to adapt non-standard carbs. The easiest option would be to obtain a set of good used carbs from any 1KT-based TZR, or from a TDR. Other versions may need a bit of jetting work in order to make them compatible. Are your existing carbs unserviceable, or are they missing altogether?

Regards,
James

Kev

• 2 strokes, my generations steam engines.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »
I believe that a limited amount of Yamaha Dt125r carburettors are available as n.o.s and will fit on to a tzr with no physical modifications. Tzr style plunger chokes will screw straight in. Jetting can obviously be changed and the only other difference is the air mixture screw is adjustable where as on the tzr it’s a fixed size, this is actually an improvement.
Tzr250 2ma blue/ yellow
Dt125r blue/white
Dt125r blue/white

Bob the B

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »
I have a set is second hand TDR250 carbs on my 2MA. Standard jetting is slightly different and the window to view the top of the throttle slide is 90 degrees about. Otherwise they are identical as far as I can tell.