Author Topic: Coolant lines running to carbs  (Read 171 times)

Steveog

Coolant lines running to carbs
« on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »
Gentlemen. Upon being very careful in attempting to remove the 91 (R) model's carbs for cleaning, I started tracing and pulling lines. Two of the lines running to both carbs have coolant in them and drain immediately when released. I read here and in another forum that the coolant runs to the carbs in order help the bike start and run when the air temp is colder, but removing the lines will keep the carbs cooler and the bike runs better under warmer conditions. its 85-90F (approx 32 C) here in Southern Indiana and will be getting consistently hotter before September/October. I have no plans to ride in temps below 55F (approx 32C).

I've read on an R-6 forum that those bikes also have a similar systems running coolant through the throttle bodies.

Please advise. For now, I'm going to block off the lines in order to remove the carbs, but if the coolant lines can be removed and performance improved in my part of the world, I'll have the bike apart for a couple of days.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
Re: Coolant lines running to carbs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:18:23 PM »
It won't make any tangible difference to performance, but removing them will make working on the carbs easier and the engine bay cleaner. Just cap off the stubs on the lower cylinder and the thermostat body and chuck the hoses in the bin maked 'weight and hassle savings'  8)

Capping off with a couple of the same kind of caps used on the un-used upper cylinder take off is a neat method, but a bolt in a short piece of suitable hose will do just as well. Or if you want to be fancy and it'll never go back to stock, pull out the stubs and tap the holes they leave in the cyl and thermostat body and use a suitable bolt with a copper sealing washer)  (-P)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:44:30 PM by Warwick »
Still Smoking...

Steveog

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:52:35 PM »
Great info, Warwick. I'll do that today. There is an amazing collection of hoses and cables running around in the 3vx engine compartment. (I can hear about 20 or 30 "no shit, Indiana Jones" coming from the UK right now) I'd seen it's complexity, but it just didn't register until I tried to take off the carbs.

BTW: There WAS some crap floating around in the float bowl and embedded dirt in the aluminum surface. Cleaned all up with spray carb cleaner and canned air, checked flow of all the ports in the bowl and we're good to go. Pilot jet is also clear. The choke mechanism look good. That's just the bottom carb.

Going back in now.

As always, thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:14:54 PM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

Steveog

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:17:55 AM »
Here's what I did on the cylinder and thermostat. Wondering if I should seal off the four carb spigots, too?

Scotty4321

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:21:18 AM »
I just linked the two carb spigots with a short piece of pipe, just to help reduce corrosion I guess.

ybk

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 03:18:06 AM »
That should do the trick, you can also order the same plug and clip that's on the top cylinder (see pics). I just leave the carb spigots.

Steveog

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:04:28 PM »
Thanks, to all.

YBK - Your solution for cylinder and thermostat is a lot cleaner. Believe this is also Warwick's #2 recommendation.

I'm trying to do a lot of "clean-up" before an upcoming  track day. Will order the spigot block-off you are recommending, but probably won't install until after TD.

Drive On.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:14:31 PM by Steveog »

Steveog

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 10:16:13 PM »
Apologizes to Warwick, as I don't seem to be able to spell his name properly.

I live in Warrick County, but that's a lame excuse.

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
Apologizes to Warwick, as I don't seem to be able to spell his name properly.

I live in Warrick County, but that's a lame excuse.

No problem Steve. I don't always spell it right myself!  :))
Still Smoking...