Author Topic: 3d printed throttle tubes  (Read 927 times)

SeaR1ck

3d printed throttle tubes
« on: July 04, 2018, 12:14:30 AM »
I've been trying to bid on a used throttle tube for my 3xv on Yahoo jp lately. I keep getting out bidded they often go for well over $80 by the time i add broker fees etc it's well over $100.

For a used throttle tube in maybe no better shape than mine. I want a newer one or better  condition one cause mine rattles on the bar a little bit.

I'm starting to see more n more 3d printed plastic pieces for dirt bikes lately. Starting to think maybe it would be more worthwhile to get some new ones 3d printed. Just wish i had a printer myself cause i think it would be beneficial.

Some of you also have to be in a similar position or are riding around with a worn one. Eventually it's gonna wear out then what? I thought about getting some machined from like aluminum but that probably cost a small fortune.

At least with 3d printed ones it could be plastic and made on demand easier.

squirrel_hunter

• Sunny Swindon, UK
Re: 3d printed throttle tubes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 03:20:58 AM »
From my experience with 3D printers, you will need to manage your expectations.

For the home gamer the quality is so so. You'll not match the OEM finish of injection moulding. You will also need a good printer, good designs, and so on. Not that it can't be done but if you are going out to market on this it won't be cheap. If you are going to buy your own then initial investment is high and the time spent to refine will not be short. It would be the same if you go for ally.

I'm surprised that secondhand is so expensive and hard to find or that there isn't any off the shelf alternatives.

evan_calgary

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:28:22 AM »
I would have to second that opinion.  You are likely still looking at a $60 parts with the print and a less durable material that will require some finishing.  Higher resolution printing will be required for something that needs to be close to round as well.

jcsnook

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 02:56:09 PM »
Someone needs to machine up a batch of aluminum ones.  I'd be down for one.  Seems like they would last forever and work fine - wouldn't it?
If your not mixing gas, your not hauling ass!