Author Topic: 3XV Crank rebuild  (Read 2450 times)

scrimsmustang

3XV Crank rebuild
« on: August 24, 2018, 03:24:30 AM »
Hi everyone, just bought a 92 3xv4 off ebay today from extreme trading after selling my first one I brought in from Japan myself a few years back. Its a lovely looking bike in great nick, its running but needs the bottom end doing, they dropped 1200 on the price instantly so I had to have it, ive paid a deposit and im going to collect it today. Any recommendations on who to give the crank to and where to get the rod kits and mains seals etc. I know its been mentioned before but all the posts are pretty old. Any recommendations gratefully accepted, im looking forward to getting it on the road asap.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:10:38 AM by scrimsmustang »

jools

• Yes, we have no Bananas
Re: 3XV Crank rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 05:25:16 AM »
thats a clean tidy bike. I like the colour scheme.
Plus ce la change, plus ce la memchose

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 05:51:26 AM »
Just buy a new SP crank from Webb’s of Lincoln
Mellion say If it ain't broke thrash it until it breaks

Edd

• You are the creator of your own missery
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 05:58:54 AM »
Hi

Yes that is an option probably the better one. You will get the rods big ends outer bearings and seals center bearing I am not sure center seal you can get one from me, or maybe someone on the forum is willing to part with one of theirs. That will be the longer option and slightly cheaper option but only slightly cheaper ;D

Edd
TZR 250 3MA1
TZR 250 3XV RS(Track)
TZR 250 1KT
TZ 250 3YL
RZ 350 Hybrid
YZ 250
RD 350 Hybrid

vinny

• Kildare, Ireland
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 08:11:43 AM »
Lovely bike .
The best colours  (-P).
Chris Applebee in the UK rebuilt a sp crank for me  while back cost aproxx £400.
Im not sure what had to be replaced as it was in pretty good nick beforehand.
If you can get a new crank it's probably a better option.

yanw

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 09:04:47 AM »
I agree with Phil, Edd and Vinny. Chris Appleby rebuilt my "R" crank and can be trusted to source or the bearings/rods etc however the cost with labour and taxes is about the same as a new "R" crank (£500). The new cranks might be NLA (R and SPR) but give Andy at Webbs of Lincoln a call to discuss ( (01522) 513193 or 528951).

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 09:24:15 AM »
Webbs can supply rods and bearings. Grampian in bootle can rebuild your crank, they R cranks for me and Paul, but it's still the original pins and crank webs. Plus it's still an R crank. Last I heard SP cranks were still available new from Webbs of Lincoln

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »
..... Its a lovely looking bike in great nick, its running but needs the bottom end doing, they dropped 1200 on the price instantly......
I spoke to Ciaran at Extreeme trading a couple of weeks ago and he was offering a warranty for the full price on his 2T's, however he was willing to reduce the price for a bought as seen sale. If you are handy with the spanners that makes his bikes a good price. And TBH most fresh imports need inspecting anyway so it's a win win, you get a cheaper bike and spend the savings on refreshing the engine and they sell a bike with no comeback

AHAMAYfrank

• Old 2-stroker / Dead end road / Carrollton, GA, US
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »
I like that color scheme as well.  Nice looking bike.  (-P)
2017 Ducati SuperSport939S, 2005 Scorpa SY250R, 1991/2014 Yamaha TZR450F, 1992 3XV4, 1991 3XV1,1991 3YL, 1987 Suzuki RG500CH, 1977 Yamaha TY250D, 1973 Yamaha AT-3 (for the runners).

scrimsmustang

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 01:48:11 AM »
Just got back from picking it up, never seen so many bikes and cars all in one place, dude had 7 0w01,s 10 500lc,s and god knows howmany rgv nsr tzr, he had 7 nr,s ferrari,s porsches all from Japan. Im not planing on porting or different ignition etc, I  just want to rebuild the stock engine with the r crank and just try and get it as sweet as i can. Has jackel Japanese pipes, are they any good ? Sounds like i will need an nla seal, please pm me a price for it. So basically i can get a new crank with bearings and seals for around the same as getting the original rebuilt yes ?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:57:48 AM by scrimsmustang »

scrimsmustang

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »
60 quid for the nla seal is that about right todays going rate considering they were 17 quid from Fowlers lol when you could getem._._._. Help me lol everything else seem getable

scrimsmustang

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 11:32:33 AM »
Just buy a new SP crank from Webb’s of Lincoln

Its now nla according to Fowlers, at 750 i would not have anyway i dont think,

update Webbs just rang me they can get the sp crank but ile give Chris applebee a ring see what he can do with the original and the change will get the pistons etc hopefully.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:04:07 PM by scrimsmustang »

scrimsmustang

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »
..... Its a lovely looking bike in great nick, its running but needs the bottom end doing, they dropped 1200 on the price instantly......
I spoke to Ciaran at Extreeme trading a couple of weeks ago and he was offering a warranty for the full price on his 2T's, however he was willing to reduce the price for a bought as seen sale. If you are handy with the spanners that makes his bikes a good price. And TBH most fresh imports need inspecting anyway so it's a win win, you get a cheaper bike and spend the savings on refreshing the engine and they sell a bike with no comeback

My thoughts exactly, the prices in Japan are high now and the bikes are getting thin on the ground. Cheapest one i could find was 3500 quid some are cracking a million yen now ad in shipping and tax and its getting up there, so i ended up looking for nice stock bodywork engines can be fixed but they only look original once. So now my logic was saying 4 grand was good these days for this one with great bodywork
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:54:16 AM by scrimsmustang »

yanw

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »
update Webbs just rang me they can get the sp crank but ile give Chris applebee a ring see what he can do with the original and the change will get the pistons etc hopefully.

Chris won't know the state of the crank until he splits it. I sent him two and paid for both to be split. One was rebuildable, one was totally scrap. If the webs are shot you will need a new crank.

I'm tempted to sell my boxed/greased Chris Appleby rebuilt crank now and pay the difference for the SP one that Webbs have.... ;)

scrimsmustang

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 06:54:30 PM »
How much you want for it ? Dont think it was in stock back order from Japan. Whats the sp crank assembly part number ? I dont think it to bad it runs ok but you can just hear it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:56:16 PM by scrimsmustang »