Author Topic: 3XV Crank rebuild  (Read 20333 times)

mellorp

• Manchester
Re: 3XV Crank rebuild
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2018, 08:34:09 PM »
You should say i won't post to usa cause it's my personal choice it isn't any harder to do I'm just lazy.  C:-) that type of attitude is a big reason why I don't buy from the uk sellers unless I can't find it elsewhere. I've encountered it more than once from uk sellers.
Stop right there. I'd ask very politely that you retract that. Andy and Webb's are very helpful to 3XV owners for no other reason than Andy is a 2T enthusiast and owner. As a company they owe this forum nothing

To export to the USA is a bit more complicated than stick a different address label on a box and pay a bit more postage
Uncle (Reverend) Phil !!!

2tbluestroke

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2018, 12:25:13 PM »
Mabey Try this place  they had some last year .
I have a standard r crank needing a rebuild if you are stuck but to be honest
Iv recently had a standard r crank rebuilt it worked out pretty expensive.  Buying a new sp crank makes more sense .

Thank you very much vinny!! I going to buy it.

SeaR1ck

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2018, 09:00:06 PM »
You should say i won't post to usa cause it's my personal choice it isn't any harder to do I'm just lazy.  C:-) that type of attitude is a big reason why I don't buy from the uk sellers unless I can't find it elsewhere. I've encountered it more than once from uk sellers.
Stop right there. I'd ask very politely that you retract that. Andy and Webb's are very helpful to 3XV owners for no other reason than Andy is a 2T enthusiast and owner. As a company they owe this forum nothing

To export to the USA is a bit more complicated than stick a different address label on a box and pay a bit more postage

No really i didn't know that no different than for me shipping international. I gotta fill out the customs form too only takes a few extra moments.  At least shipping to the states you don't have to bother with import taxes unlike when i ship some where else and get begged to devalue the package for tax evasion.

Steveog

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
The real reason for Webb's reluctance to ship to the US is our society?s absurdly litigious nature. I'm betting this applies to other UK parts distributors, too. The insurance companies in the UK don't want the liability for what might happen if a part fails and can be traced to an accident. We all know what happens when a 2T motor locks up. Unless you're quick on the clutch, it usually ends in a high-side.

We have more personal injury attorneys advertising on TV than we do car dealers or ED drug makers. Many Americans have lost their sense of "personal responsibility" and are often looking to blame another. Many of those want to be compensated. In the US, attorneys chase the liability as far as possible. From the parts seller to the manufacturer. The PIA's are after the biggest fish. The entity who is that much more likely to settle, as opposed to paying for a fight in court.

UK parts dealers can keep the their cost of doing business lower by controlling the cost of insurance. To stay competitive, others follow the same strategy.

Solution: Don't sell parts to the US. It has nothing to do with being lazy.   
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:25:44 AM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

scrimsmustang

« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2018, 02:30:43 AM »
Just give the sp crank part number to your friendly local yamaha dealer in the us and they will order it for you from japan, mine was ordered from "fowlers of bristol" uk via my local motorbike shop "hartlepool motorcycle service centre" and arrived in a fortnight for a lot less than webbs of lincoln. Mine was only cheaper as my mate owns the shop and got it for me on his trade account, if you get stuck im sure i can ask him for another.

Steveog

« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2018, 03:37:35 AM »
US Yamaha dealers do not commonly have access to the 3xv specific parts. As we all know, the 3xv series was a Japanese only bike. The local US parts computers don’t register the part numbers for the 3xv.

The TZ parts are there and some might cross-match, but unless you know the parts interchange, your average dealer/parts guy isn’t going to know the magic numbers.

Now, that’s been my experience here in the middle of the US. It is quite possible that others have alternative stories. Hopefully, they can share with the rest of us Yanks, as I had to use some extreme creativity getting my SP crank from the UK.

Japanese website prices were often 30% higher than UK. The prices out of the Netherlands split the difference, but the best deals are out of UK from my experience. (Thanks, Phil).

Good luck getting parts from UK to US. America has become such a litigious place to do business that insurance companies for bike shops usually cause UK dealers to pass on direct sales to US.

If you have a “home-boy” in the UK, it’s all good. He orders, pays and ships to you. That’s how it’s done.

I recommend calling Andy at Webb’s in Lincolnshire. He offers a discount to forum members. At least he did 2 months ago.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:23:26 PM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

scrimsmustang

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »
It matters not thing where you are located , if you have any yamaha part number any yamaha dealer can order the part anywhere in the world. I also have a dt200wr Japanese home market bike. Anytime it needs something i give the local dealer the part number and if its still available they order it simple as that no problem at all. Sounds like your local dealer is garbage and could have got the crank no problem if they had the part number and knew what they where doing.

Steveog

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »
The parts guy at my local dealer was a TZ racer. He’s been in the business for 40 years. When I gave him the part number, he said, “This is a crank”. That was before he even tried to enter the number into the computer attempting to order an SP crank. He knows what he's doing.

So, you may be right, but my parts guy told me, “that the part could not be ordered unless authorized by Yamaha US.” It would be the same as trying to stock a bike that wasn’t legal for the US market.

Why would a dealer not want to sell parts? Specifically, a big expensive part such as a Crank. They profit from each transaction.

Attached is a Yamaha US parts catalogue webpage. I used the latest number for an SP crank. The result is obvious.

I'm really not trying to start a dick-wagging competition. You've recently been helpful to me. Just trying to let you know how it works here in the US.

If you remember, the US restricted street-legal, two-stroke bikes out of existence in 1985 thanks to our EPA having the same power to rule over us, much as the IRS. Violating EPA laws meant big fines or jail terms. Any bike imported to the US had/has to meet the EPA air-emission regs in addition to all the other requirements for manufactured motor vehicles.

Fortunately, (oddly) if a vehicle is over 25 years from its original manufacturing date, it is eligible for "Classic" status and legal to import and use on US highways. So, we can import TZR 250's (1993 models and earlier), but they aren't coming through Yamaha dealers. Many parts for our 3xv's are still available, but my guess is that because the bikes were never approved by the EPA, never really existed in the US, the parts catalogues for US Yamaha Dealers aren't allowed access to Yamaha Japan's full roster of parts that would support our 3xv's.   

Maybe some other American who's been on the forum longer than me, can jump in and validate (or deny) my contention. I've read posts from SeaRick and jsnook and their recommendations for finding 3xv parts. They both live near large, US cities. I can't remember either of them referencing simply "going down to the Local Yamaha dealer to get parts for the 3xv".
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:20:39 PM by Steveog »

SeaR1ck

« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2018, 08:46:11 PM »
No it's true what Steve has experienced I have and so have a few of my friends with these bikes. Same crap about it's not a u.s. bike not authorized bs.

Steveog

« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2018, 10:15:37 PM »
Thanks, Rick. No sense fighting with a US dealer over this insane policy, either. I tried.

Hope that helps scrimsmustang.

No hard feeling on my end.

Hoatso

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2019, 04:49:04 PM »
This is a good source for parts in the USA. It?s also a good part number reference.

http://www.tso.us.com/index.asp

scrimsmustang

« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2019, 04:28:58 AM »
Ok, i aint touched this thing since it was finished at the backend of last summer early autum. Anyway its sweet as a nut pulls well and clean all the way through the range, takes off like a scalded cat about 7500 rpm all the way exept the last 500 rpm in every gear. No programmable ignition just the red box behind the speedo. Hits 133mph flat on fzr600 speedo, i know its not accurate but will it really be quicker with a zeel etc ?

scrimsmustang

« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2019, 04:44:41 AM »
Thanks, Rick. No sense fighting with a US dealer over this insane policy, either. I tried.

Hope that helps scrimsmustang.

No hard feeling on my end.

Wasn't ment to offend, I just thought it would be the same as the uk, got the part number got the part if its available to order, what about Canada dealers?

SeaR1ck

« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2019, 06:13:19 AM »
Canadian dealers have the same problem if it's not a Canadian model can't order it. A lot of them also don't know the rare models. Some of the older shops if you get a knowledgeable parts guy might get some help with rz500 rz350 2ma. Most of the time if you don't have the part numbers its a lost cause.

Most parts guys at my local shops ask me what bike it's for and if i don't say something like a R1. They go what's a tzr? It's like asking for an 8 track tape or floppy disk.

scrimsmustang

« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2019, 01:09:25 PM »
Just bumping this back up

OK, my 3xv4 K555 YAM i aint touched this thing since it was finished at the backend of last summer early autum, to refresh it has Martins sp topend with wossners, sp crank, jackel pipes sp airbox lid ,stock carbs with just a pilot change. Anyway its sweet as a nut pulls well and clean all the way through the range, takes off like a scalded cat about 7500 rpm all the way exept the last 500 rpm of the red in every gear. No programmable ignition just the little red rev box behind the speedo with 00 cdi, im told this cdi is not original to a 3xv4 but its also nothing special. Hits indicated 133mph flat on fzr600 speedo I fitted with stock sprockets, i know its not accurate but will it really be quicker with a zeel etc as it seems pretty good now without one ? Im happy with it anyway peeps. Stuck it up all sorts yesterday its fun with a capital F lol.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:03:55 PM by scrimsmustang »