Author Topic: Front carb cable fitting?  (Read 2069 times)

Hoatso

Front carb cable fitting?
« on: October 05, 2018, 04:49:06 PM »
I have a 1991 R model

On the front carb, the throttle cable enters the throttle position sensor box that is attached to the top of the carb. The cable wire attaches to a wheel and a shorter cable goes down to the slide.

My question is: does the cable end just hook on the wheel, or is there a seperate adapter fitting that I am missing?

The parts diagram doesn’t show any extra fitting adapter.

The cable ends in a small fitting, but the mating hole in the TPS wheel is pretty big.

Thanks.

SeaR1ck

Re: Front carb cable fitting?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 05:09:09 PM »
Fits right there and runs through the grove slack is adjusted out. And damn those some dirty looking carbs.

Hoatso

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »
Thanks.

If it ain’t dirty, you are spending too much time cleaning and not enough riding!

Steveog

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 11:39:43 PM »
I thoroughly disagree Hoastso. Rick tends to be blunt, but he's been accurate and very helpful. He predicted my "R" would lock-up because it wasn't prepped for track duty. It's now locked up. BAD. See my current thread with pictures.

I say all this with good will and best wishes.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:17:52 AM »
Here's a pic from a spare. The short cable runs on the back side of the pulley where there's another groove and fitting (the visible empty one is for the throttle cable). You'll need to remove the TPS resistance thing and take out the pulley to get the cable installed I think, might be tricky with it in situ... Mark the screw positions and measure the resistance beforehand to get it right afterwards again..
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:20:54 AM by ybk »

Hoatso

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 03:22:33 AM »
I appreciate the help. I last did an ultrasonic cleaning 6 months ago and am doing maintenance now.

The throttle cable comes down along the red line and hooks where the circle is. It looked like it should have a 1/4” diameter cable end (like the way a cable connects to a clutch lever)  that would fill the hole. Instead, it has a small cable end.

I figured I might be missing a part.

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 08:36:38 AM »
Ah yeah I get you now, here is a pic from my other bike, it does indeed have a filler piece there to accommodate the smaller head of the cable..

Hoatso

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »
Thank you

Hoatso

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 04:07:18 AM »
Anybody know the part number of the brass piece? Or maybe it’s a common size. I could make one, I guess.

yorkee

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
probably not helping much, but something like this will have all universal size fitting to try out:

http://www.venhillusa.com/venhill-universal-motorcycle-throttle-cable-kit-92-inch.html

Hoatso

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 12:50:06 AM »
I made one out of brass, so all is good.

Thanks!

Steveog

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 02:31:09 AM »
Please show pic and explain how you modded up such a piece. That fitting doesn’t exist as a 3xv part. I’m sure others could benefit from your ingenuity.

Thanks.
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

Hoatso

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 04:12:48 AM »
It seems like the part should be common for things like where the clutch cable connects to the lever, but I couldn’t find one. I didn’t look too hard, though.

I’ll post some pictures tomorrow. I found a copper cylinder at a boat store. I don’t know what it was supposed to be used for, but it was around 5mm diameter and the right length.

I drilled a hole through the side to clear the cable, about 0.050” I think. Then I drilled a larger hole (maybe 0.125”) about 3/4 of the way through for the soldered on cable end ferrule. Then, I used a Dremel cut off disk to cut a slot halfway through, aligned with the hole.

It’s hard to explain. But, once the cable is fed into the TPS housing, the new fitting is put on the end of the cable and is hooked to the TPS wheel.

It looks like these pictures: