Author Topic: 3xv: Project Phoenix  (Read 227024 times)

ybk

• Admin
Re: 3xv: Project Phoenix
« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2019, 02:24:37 AM »
I use the same 2 stroke pipe, cut short then blocked with some black silicone and just re-use the metal clips that are there as stock to keep it in place. New 2 stroke pipe is quite a tight fit on that outlet so I don't think it's a risk.

Steveog

« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »
Thanks Karl. I figured it would be a simple solution. Just wanted some reassurance. This bike gets a pretty thorough tech inspection at the track. Can’t have a leak.

Have a good one.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

Steveog

« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2019, 12:32:01 AM »
Based on the fresh powder-coated frame and bead blasted engine, every old part I start to re-install looks dirty, corroded or just plain ugly. I'm not building out a concourse bike, but old chain lube and obvious crap must be cleaned up. This is keeping me from having the bike on its wheels. That, and I decided to powder-coat the triple clamps and bolt-on engine mounts. They will be in my hands on Wednesday. This "clean-up" syndrome is probably pretty common. Its the right thing to do, but not necessary to get the bike running and tested before a track day that's exactly two weeks away.

I also need help in getting the bike off the stand and onto rear and front stands for the finishing touches. My Partner will be here Monday...or I could guilt-trip my son into helping. Tomorrow is a Holiday in the US called "Father's Day." He might fall for it, but he's a father, too with two little ones.

The fact that this is my biggest problem in life at the moment, makes me a very lucky man.

Cheers to all. Happy "Father's Day" to all US Fathers.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

casal-fan

« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2019, 04:06:39 PM »
Of course, if you have the part out, you have to clean and inspect it. Other way to proceed would be iresponsible and clumsy way of working.
Your doing the right thing. (-P)

Steveog

« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2019, 09:12:37 PM »
Thanks, Casual. I'm on my way to get all new hose clamps and hex bolts.

Fabricated a cover and gasket for the oil pump.

The bike is now on floor stands. Rear drive bolts soaking in kerosene. I tend to use it, spray brake cleaner, soap and water and ammonia window cleaner along with tooth brushes, metal brushes, Scotch-brite pads and a Dremel course, polishing do-nut.

I've re-painted the rear cage and all the brackets. Waiting on triple clamps to get the chassis together.

Then rig up a remote pre-mix delivery system, add coolant, tranny oil and test the engine. 

Appreciate your support and encouragement.

Steve   

Steveog

« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2019, 12:16:46 AM »
Good Evening (Barely)

First a question, then progress report.

Just realized my air box has 3xv2 stamped on top. Does this designation mean it came from the '91 SP model? I should have taken a shot of the snorkel. It fills the area allotted by the molding of the air box lid. I remember finding 3vx2 stamped on my cases, but that turned out to be of no particular value, as I was told there's no such thing as a 3xv2 unique case. According to all I've read here, the air-box lid, however is unique to an SP model.

The rest of the pics show some final detailing work and one important new part. Not much left to do, except thoroughly clean the wheels. Then check all torque settings

If the coating guys are on-time tomorrow, the bike will be on its wheels, Thursday.

Steve

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2019, 01:02:56 AM »
Yes, 3XV2 would suggest the SP airbox lid - you can confirm by removing the lid and checking that there is no taper on the intake snorkel. In some dyno testing years ago, I found that using the SP upper airbox lid gave some small gains on my set-up with porting/pipes/sugo igntion etc., so it's a boon to already have that. The ir box (or the lid at least) must have been swapped at some point in the bike's life I guess? Anyway, useful. You might also want to consider making new air filters from some freer flowing foam too? A guy in the States used to sell them pre-cut from suitable foam, but the last I bought were probably 5 or 6 years ago, so no idea if he still lists them? 
Still Smoking...

Steveog

« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2019, 02:31:54 AM »
That’s exciting, Warwick. Surprising free upgrade following several moments of frustration.  Thanks for the confirmation. I’ll check under the hood and into the filters, but you convinced me (earlier) that keeping the filters and air box will make my tuning from this point easier and the results, more stable.

Now, all I have to do is get her running. I have new 10 series plugs, but wondering if another, hotter plug wouldn’t be better for start-up. I will be at the Yamaha Shop tomorrow. Any advice?

Thanks for your help and insight. Always good for confidence, specifically at this point.

Steve

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:57:02 AM by Steveog »

Steveog

« Reply #233 on: June 19, 2019, 05:13:24 AM »
Many of us have a signature to our posts and comments. Some, direct. Some, blunt. All descriptive of our pain, frustration and love of a truly unique motorcycle.

Approaching the moment of truth with an eight month build, I thought you might be interested where my signature originated:

https://youtu.be/cfkHnKY8lhQ

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
« Reply #234 on: June 19, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »
Personally, I'd just use the old plugs for initial start up and testing etc. The motor might want the 10s later when you change the ignition and are pushing the power up a bit though.

With the over-oiling and richer jetting you are proposing to start with there is more chance of fouling a plug than with the old set-up course, so it might be useful to have a spare pair of cheap 9s in your back pocket if doing any short initial road tests on an untried set-up?
Still Smoking...

Steveog

« Reply #235 on: June 19, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »
Makes sense. I was using Irridium 9’s. The one from the blown cylinder looks OK. Will get a few stock 9’s for back-up.

Thanks

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #236 on: June 19, 2019, 04:16:44 PM »
Iridiums are for 4T's. Nothing wrong with BR10ES for track or BR9ES for the road. Zeeltronic recommend the R plugs although I thing I ran simple B9ES on mine without any issues. The ECU low voltage elements are so far away from the coils/plugs I don't think it's an issue, unless you have relocated everything everything behind the clocks/under the tank, where it might be an issue. Not sure TBH
Uncle (Reverend) Phil !!!

Steveog

« Reply #237 on: June 19, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
Thanks, Phil. I picked up two pair of BR9ES. My Yamaha Shop does not have non-resister plugs. The ECU is still located in the back (the stock length cabling), but moved to where oil reservoir used to be. I used the Irridiums all of last summer without incident, but they are far more expensive, so no point in defending them.

Wish me luck. This first kick is starting to loom very large.

Steve

Steveog

« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2019, 01:32:34 AM »
All the parts are now in the Shop. Glad I chose to wait on the triple clamps. My local blasting/powder-coating guys did a great job. I also had the secondary engine mounts blasted and coated.

Of course, I ran into a problem: Fitting coated motor mounts to an already tight tolerance engine mounting system.

Solution: Loosened lower primary engine mount. Measured studs. Drilled out secondary mounts to match. Added finesse and all is good.

Let’s pause here for a salute to Yamaha. As with a hundred pieces, parts and fitments I’ve encountered on this journey, the engineering was/is precise. Design, brilliant. Execution remains frozen as state of the art. The factory had no idea I would want to powder coat their products. I’m not even sure if powder-coating was even marginally affordable in 1991. I’ve owned and loved bikes from all of the “Big Four”. Based on this specific 3xv surviving this far and it providing an unequaled riding experience 28 years later...Yamaha wins.

Back to the Future: As you can see the triple clamps were masked, so I don’t expect any problems getting the bike on its wheels tomorrow.

Steve

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2019, 09:46:00 AM »
Don't forget to remove the powder coat from the bearing and seal mounting faces on the triple clamps, Steve, (the lower clamp primarily) or you will have hours of 'fun' trying to get the steering bearings set correctly. 
Still Smoking...