Author Topic: 2XT Crankshaft Interchangeability  (Read 383 times)

Jim Lyon

2XT Crankshaft Interchangeability
« on: May 18, 2019, 02:12:15 AM »
I realise this is probably an old topic but what is the crankshaft interchangeability for a 2XT? i.e. will any 180deg. parallel twin TZR crank fit e.g.
   1KT 2MA 2XT 3XC (R1Z) etc
  While I assume that most people don't bother, considering that the crank output sprocket that drives the gear @ the bottom of the clutch basket are a very tight tolerance it makes sense to me to buy them as a matched pair. Is anybody able to make a comment regarding both the interchangeability question & what is a reasonable price for a matched crankshaft & complete clutch basket?

Cheers,
   Jim

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 02:30:23 AM by Jim Lyon »
YAMAHA RIDERS GO IN DEEPER AND COME OUT HARDER

SeaR1ck

Re: 2XT Crankshaft Interchangeability
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 05:18:43 AM »
I say it doesn't matter if i remember correctly it's the same parts. Didn't do anything special with the 2xt engine I built recently.

Jim Lyon

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 11:43:47 AM »
I say it doesn't matter if i remember correctly it's the same parts. Didn't do anything special with the 2xt engine I built recently.

JL - Thanks for your answer :) - Any more specific input?

SeaR1ck

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 02:23:01 AM »
I had to confrim all 1kt crank bits where used on the 2xt engine and it has 1200 miles on it now running flawlessly.

tzar250

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 08:27:30 AM »
There is an engraved letter on one side of the primary drive gear fitted to the right end of the crank and also on the large primary gear on the clutch basket.  The matching pair in my bike both had the same letter - C, I think off the top of my head.  Another clutch basket and gear I bought as a pair also have the same letter engraved on them - I.  So there must be some significance - a backlash matching seems logical?  Like on 350YPVS primary gears the numbers on both gears have to fall within a certain range to get the backlash correct.

It would be useful to know if anyone has any knowledge about how critical matching letters are - or if there is a range.  I can't see anything mentioned in the service manual.

evan_calgary

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »
There is an engraved letter on one side of the primary drive gear fitted to the right end of the crank and also on the large primary gear on the clutch basket.  The matching pair in my bike both had the same letter - C, I think off the top of my head.  Another clutch basket and gear I bought as a pair also have the same letter engraved on them - I.  So there must be some significance - a backlash matching seems logical?  Like on 350YPVS primary gears the numbers on both gears have to fall within a certain range to get the backlash correct.

It would be useful to know if anyone has any knowledge about how critical matching letters are - or if there is a range.  I can't see anything mentioned in the service manual.

This is certainly the case the for the YPVS and RDLC bikes and has to do with the backlash.  The manual for one of them states there are certain combinations you must follow for replacement possibly only same letters but can't remember top of head.  I can't imagine the pain when buying new with getting the correct letter on the part.  Then again, the replacement aftermarket baskets make no distinction and do not come with a primary afaik.

Jim Lyon

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 06:22:08 PM »
<SNIPPED>
the numbers on both gears have to fall within a certain range to get the backlash correct.

JL - While I've been away from bikes too long, but NOT my choice, I know I'm talking about backlash numbers that are lightly engraved but on my 2MA with its 1KT clutch I cant see anything. Despite that I'd still consider such gears to be a matched pair

This is certainly the case the for the YPVS and RDLC bikes and has to do with the backlash. 

, the replacement aftermarket baskets make no distinction

JL - But a lot of these guys have no training & are only bothered about cash !
Perhaps we need some input from the likes of James P or Wullie3XV9?

and do not come with a primary afaik.

evan_calgary

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »
Given how insanely many banshee guys are out there there is no way an aftermarket manufacturer did not consider the longevity of ignoring the lash differences.  I'm certain the guys at places like Wicked have piles and piles more experience with Yamaha twins than you do Jim unless you somehow designed the motor?

Jim Lyon

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 10:03:42 PM »
Given how insanely many banshee guys are out there there is no way an aftermarket manufacturer did not consider the longevity of ignoring the lash differences.  I'm certain the guys at places like Wicked have piles and piles more experience with Yamaha twins than you do Jim unless you somehow designed the motor?

JL - U confused me there - 4 a moment I thought u were a Yank?

evan_calgary

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »

Alright, i'm out on this one.  Clearly delusional. 

Jim Lyon

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 12:30:15 AM »

Alright, i'm out on this one.  Clearly delusional.

JL - Rather it is you who is attempting to project onto me.