Author Topic: Guide for registering a grey import in the UK?  (Read 11774 times)

chubba

Re: Guide for registering a grey import in the UK?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »
Has anyone used TS export to bring a bike in, there always mentioned in the bike mag I read

Steveog

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2019, 05:56:11 PM »
My friend used to have a private plate that said. Bmblbee but we have 7 digit plates here.

In Indiana, USA, we can get what are called “Vanity Plates”. TZR-250 would be OK if it’s not already being used, but of course, you pay extra for this specialty.
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2019, 07:22:35 PM »
Sounds a reasonable approach to me!  Sure would be the ultimate plate, at the moment though i just need any plate they give me that gets me on the road to put some miles on the new engine before the bad weather.

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 09:19:24 PM »
Sounds a reasonable approach to me!  Sure would be the ultimate plate, at the moment though i just need any plate they give me that gets me on the road to put some miles on the new engine before the bad weather.
But you already have a TZR 250 3XV  number plate  ;) Sometimes having a couple of identical bikes makes it confusing as to which number plate belongs on which bike !!!!!!
Uncle (Reverend) Phil !!!

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2019, 10:26:30 PM »
ha ha! cunning, I have already considered that one! I have some repairs to do to the fairings, when theyre fixed, confusion could well reign as to which bike the current plate ends up on. ;D

maccas

• East Yorkshire and Bristol UK
    • GasketGuru
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 11:46:42 AM »
A quick note of caution. If paying by cheque, make sure there are no mistakes when you write the cheque. I had a small scribble on mine where i'd started writing 'F' instead of 'N' and they wouldn't accept it. Application was returned to me after 3 weeks waiting. Just done a postal order instead to save any risk of confusion (12 quid fee for postal order though!)

Hopefully it will be a quick turn around when they get my application back tomorrow.

Dan

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 12:33:47 PM »
 (-P) good luck Dan keep us posted, what a ball ache, the slow turning cogs of beurocracy!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:53:58 PM by bulldogboy »

Tony B

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »
Yes bike 1 has a 5 digit private plate , and its pretty cool.If i have to have a 6 digit plate, and i ask nicely do you think the dvla would give me TZR 250? :P

3 XVR was sold by them earlier in the year. Think it was £2,200.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 10:09:30 PM »
 8) cool plate  , theres plenty of plates that have TZR as the last letters, saw one for 170 quid the other day, plus the fees about = £300 ish, one was GO60 TZR which was about 475

yanw

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 08:31:25 AM »
I don't think you can put a new plate on an old bike. The rule is to prevent people passing off an older vehicle as newer. Bit of a bummer really.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 08:39:02 AM »
I see, makes sense, rules out alot of cool plates :-[

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 03:08:47 PM »
Dating certificate update, wish id gone to v.j.m.c for my dating letter, just waited over 4 weeks for my letter from yamaha uk, so it turns up and it says " we confirm that chassis no. 3xv 097- - - relates to a 1994 model yamaha tzr 250 R that was manufactured in june 1994" well its not an R its an R.S,  and i know the vin is genuine R.S as the other vin on the first R.S starts 097 as well.Plus if i ever sell it the letter is good to include in the paperwork, and it might look to a potential buyer that its not a genuine RS, but an R model dressed up like an R.S in an R chassis.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2019, 03:37:50 PM »
Just spoke to Yamaha customer services, she had 2 books with models and chassis numbers in, one book said my bike was an R, and the second book she looked in said it was an R.S! not great that Yamaha cant i.d a bike accurately off the vin, shes sending out a revised letter. ::)

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2019, 07:47:48 PM »
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and not everything happens as you might expect first time round. That's why the input from forum members who may have experienced similar issues previously is so invaluable.

Hope the revised doc arrives soon and is correct this time.  :-\
Forever a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2019, 09:41:42 PM »
 (-P) cheers, it wont stop me getting an mot though, I can use the first letter, will try and get it booked next week, itching to register it andrun it in