Author Topic: Leak after full rebuild  (Read 626 times)

TZRtim

• One day ill own a 3xv ...3ma...
Leak after full rebuild
« on: July 21, 2019, 08:01:25 PM »
Hi peeps , picked up my 125R 4hw engine Saturday and fitting started earlier today but as all was going to plan id got every thing back together it was time for fluids , nearly as soon as id put silcolene pro cool coolant in i noticed a trickle coming from head gasket area just under where it bolts thru the head, id had itfully rebuild by local yam shop so what should i do ?

When i phone them im sure they will say just drop the engine back in , ill struggle in the week to have time .
Could it be sorted in situ ? - i hope
 Time is of the essence as summer will be over in a flash and id just lost the last 5 weeks due to unforseen rebuild - i know than not there fault . If i whip the head off will i need a new gasket - and a sealer?

Thanks for any info - its Athena 170 btw - Not started either ...
May the wind blow light and your groups shoot tight - UKV...  Biker and shooter for life ...

Tzr3ma

Re: Leak after full rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 09:18:14 PM »
Have they put the sealing washer under the dome head nuts

Martin77

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 10:41:52 PM »
You may find as it gets hot after starting it'll start to seal ok. I run a smear of decent RTV sealant on my 170 head gasket.

The fact ot weeps without starting does suggest it's quite a big leak. Have you checked the tightness of the head nuts? These heads don't need copper washers under the nuts.

TZRtim

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:42:59 AM »
Yes i think they have fitted copper washer under bolts  - but ill double check when i leave for work , i cant check the torque as my digital wrench is broke or i dont trust it , i will pick a good one up today . I will call them tomorrow as they shut Mondays . Thanks for suggestion . We will see
May the wind blow light and your groups shoot tight - UKV...  Biker and shooter for life ...

TZRtim

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 10:35:32 PM »
There are  washers under head bolts - but i think they were fitted before the rebuild .

TZRtim

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 11:13:24 PM »
Well , so Athena have asked for pictures showing leak , pictures showing my chassis # and a complete picture of my bike . I will oblige but as with most companies these days they try to squirm out of warranty / faulty goods . My local yam shop said they could just be trying to get me the customer to just buy a new set of gasket .. In the meantime spa have ordered a set and should have them imminently , so i can ride again after 6 or so  weeks lost .. Starting to think i should of had o rings conversion / machining .  ::)

Martin77

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »
Is it a re-used gasket? really, I'd say it's up to the place that did the work to sort out. Did it seal ok before the recent rebuild? How would Athena know about the history of the bike, so I wouldn't blame them, unless there's a casting defect, but I'm not sure if this is the first time you've run it.

TZRtim

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »
Its all new , fully rebuild . I had the 170 on it from the start and done probably 1600-1700 miles in total - never had a problem , but as its had new crank etc i got a new piston kit and gaskets - so yeah they will sort it , but they have paid for the new gasket set to replace the faulty one - if thats the case , they also asked if i can take the head off and inspect for cracks etc. Tbh im going to take pictures then whip out engine and take back to bike shop  (-P)

Martin77

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 05:51:28 PM »
Yup, sounds like the best plan. I've had a few gaskets dribble when new, just until the heat makes the rubbery coating seal. The Athena gasket is a thick bugger, maybe something was slightly misalined? Eitherway, without knowing the cause you don't know who or what to blame.

TZRtim

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 11:58:56 PM »
Got bike engine back in for 2nd time and all seems good , done 2x heat cycles . Shes booked 4Mot Saturday morning so will hopefully put some miles on her before . Im praying for no rain .

Btw , i think my starter motor is on the way out it kept making noises but not turning the motor / intermittent . Is it difficult to change it ? Atb

Martin77

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
Sounds more like it could be oil/grease in the starter clutch behind the flywheel. Probably best to get the garage to do it, as it needs a special flywheel holder/puller. They can also check the condition of the starter motor at the same time.

TZRtim

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 09:38:03 PM »
Thanks martin for info , she passed mot , and iv put 115 miles on her today , will probably do similar amount tomorrow .