Author Topic: Standard Power output and torque  (Read 171 times)

bims

Standard Power output and torque
« on: August 14, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »
Bit of a dumb newbie question but how do people find the 3XV compares to other 250's?
I'm pretty sure mine is a standard setup SPR but it's amazing how well it pulls in every gear including top.
So compared to my Aprilia RS250 which must be producing almost 50% more power I'm amazed how similar the two bikes are.
In fact I find it quite hard to believe the TZR is only 40bhp. My RS doesn't pull that well, especially up our Cornish hills and I'll often have to knock it down from 6th to 5th.
So I thought I wonder if the previous owner had changed the gearing. But 14/37 seems to be standard from looking at the parts manual.
It does seems to go through the revs very quickly and I find myself changing up much quicker but it does seem to also have much more low down torque.
It's on standard pipes so nothing much has changed.
Only thing I did when I got it was changed the plugs and gear oil and checked the filters etc, as most of the airbox connections were hanging off etc. So was just a question of actually tightening up things. Oh and had to change the oil feed pipe from the tank to the filter thing and then onto the pump as it has perished and was leaking all over the place. But Norbo from LC Club can supply this so was relatively easy to do apart from getting in on. Now that was hard.

Chris

SeaR1ck

Re: Standard Power output and torque
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 11:43:45 PM »
I have a rgv vj22 which is similar to your RS same engine. I also have a spr that's unrestricted.

They are pretty much the same my rgv has the 22d30 cdi and tyga pipes 34mm carbs and sp heads. The spr has the sugo 7k cdi and jackal pipes. The spr is a bit lighter in overall weight vs the rgv and the rs250 is slightly heavier than the rgv.

I also have a fully unrestricted nsr mc21 with tyga pipes and it's pretty much the same too.

Your not taking into account the difference in final drive gearing. The spr 14/37 vs the rgv's and i think the rs250 has the same 14/43. The taller gearing of the spr gives it more top speed. Gear it the same as the rs and they will feel closer.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:46:31 PM by SeaR1ck »

ybk

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:01:39 AM »
What CDI do you have on your bike? Stock the SPR does only 40hp like you mentioned so it does feel a little down on power..

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 10:24:58 AM »
A stock 3XV is quite grunty for a 250 stroker though, so up to 9.5 -or so, I'd imagine it feels stronger than other comparable bikes. A stocker is Certainly veey easy to ride quite briskly on the road :). It's only at the top end where an unrestricted 250 stroker would really feel any more lively. 

Run both the RS and the SPR on the dyno maybe to get a good back-to-back idea of where they perform differently?
Still Smoking...

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:52:22 AM »
I'm in the fortunate position of owning quite a few 250's

This is what I found.
3XV in restricted form feels the quickest mid range but wheezes like an old f@rt at the top end. De-restrcited does not lose much mid range but revs on with power. Wring it's neck and it will be great fun
MC21 feels the slowest but does everything so smoothly. Easiest to ride on the road but stifled top end, until de-restricted
MC18 MK2 - The smallest skinny thing but goes and stops almost like a race bike
MC28 Bit of an odd one, looks better than it goes. It looks brilliant and is very similar to the MC21
Aprilia MK2 has a big bike feel to it.  The 23D70 SAPC calms the PV transition and is a joy to ride fast
VJ22 - Like the Aprilia but with a smaller feel to it. Std pipes and 22D30 still has a flat spot where the PV's open. Super for riding very quick
VJ21 A bit like the VJ22 but with a more race feel to it. Engine is the same
VJ23 Like the 3XV bags of mid range (relative) but the V export model (full power) is much quicker. My tuned VJ23 is nearly as quick as my 4DP
KR1s, mine has a blue printed engine and is smooth as silk and just goes and goes and goes. Chassis can't quite keep up
3MA Until it clears it's throat it's a bit pants. When it does mine likes to be ridden hard, go slow and it's back to being pants
LC - Bit of a shopping trolley
RG4/5 A big shopping trolley but a faster shopping trolley

They are all great bikes and each one has it foibles. Enjoy it for what it is rather than comparing it to something else. My problem is I enjoy all my bikes and I know I should sell half of them, but I don't own a bad one, just some are more annoying than others. How do you choose a favourite child ?
Mellion say If it ain't broke thrash it until it breaks

bims

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:53:35 AM »
Thanks for all the replies... It's the stock CDI. The whole bike is stock bar the braided hoses from what I can make out.
I think Warwick might have hit the nail on the head. I wonder if it's because the RS is mildily modded with arrows, filter and slight jetting change and the fact it's power is up at 9K onwards and little in the mid range where the SPR seems to be the other way around. So the short run I had, curtailed by a downpour on brand new tyres wasn't a good test really but it just felt to have bags of mid range which perhaps gave me the impression it was faster than it was. I didn't really get enough road to let it rev all the way up to the red line.
Doesn't help with the speedo being in kmh but it seemed to get up 160 pretty quickly and with no issues at all. But that's just shy of 100mph I think so not particularly fast in speed terms. Must say though it feels incredibly light, yet small, and even with my 13 stone on it which it is painfully obvious not designed for, it's still a joy to ride.
Hoping for some sun, warmth and dry roads at the weekend and have another run out on the new tyres. the 2001 Dunlops on it were somewhat hard to say the least.
BTW, what's a normal water temp to run on? Mine barely moves and just touches 60. Is that normal. The RS was around this, perhaps a little hotter, but not much more.
Temp gauge does work as I had the bike stationary testing before I went out and it went up to around 80.
Thanks again. Really appreciate all the help and feedback. It's just odd when you get a new bike, as you get so used to the others, you don't really know what normal is for that particular marque. over 20 years with the Aprilias so I sort of know them pretty well. the other bikes I have are a KDX, totally different, and 400 & 500's so can't compare them at all.... Next thing then is to sort out some pipes...

vinny

• Kildare, Ireland
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 08:52:09 PM »
I'm in the fortunate position of owning quite a few 250's

This is what I found.
3XV in restricted form feels the quickest mid range but wheezes like an old f@rt at the top end. De-restrcited does not lose much mid range but revs on with power. Wring it's neck and it will be great fun
MC21 feels the slowest but does everything so smoothly. Easiest to ride on the road but stifled top end, until de-restricted
MC18 MK2 - The smallest skinny thing but goes and stops almost like a race bike
MC28 Bit of an odd one, looks better than it goes. It looks brilliant and is very similar to the MC21
Aprilia MK2 has a big bike feel to it.  The 23D70 SAPC calms the PV transition and is a joy to ride fast
VJ22 - Like the Aprilia but with a smaller feel to it. Std pipes and 22D30 still has a flat spot where the PV's open. Super for riding very quick
VJ21 A bit like the VJ22 but with a more race feel to it. Engine is the same
VJ23 Like the 3XV bags of mid range (relative) but the V export model (full power) is much quicker. My tuned VJ23 is nearly as quick as my 4DP
KR1s, mine has a blue printed engine and is smooth as silk and just goes and goes and goes. Chassis can't quite keep up
3MA Until it clears it's throat it's a bit pants. When it does mine likes to be ridden hard, go slow and it's back to being pants
LC - Bit of a shopping trolley
RG4/5 A big shopping trolley but a faster shopping trolley

They are all great bikes and each one has it foibles. Enjoy it for what it is rather than comparing it to something else. My problem is I enjoy all my bikes and I know I should sell half of them, but I don't own a bad one, just some are more annoying than others. How do you choose a favourite child ?

Now we know where all the race reps are gone 😂😂.
What a nice collection you have.

bims

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 10:29:40 PM »
LoL. I thought I had a lot at 8 but I've long way to go to catch up there....

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 11:16:20 PM »

A very long way :-)
Mellion say If it ain't broke thrash it until it breaks

bims

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »

A very long way :-)

LOL. Why not sell me some and give me a chance?  ;D ;D ;D