Author Topic: Speedo not working  (Read 245 times)

bulldogboy

Speedo not working
« on: September 08, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »
Took the RS out for a 50 mile blast today, ran spot on, only thing was the speedo has stopped working, also the odometer not working, never had a problem before , revs,and temp both fine. Must be the cable? Any ideas.

Steveog

Re: Speedo not working
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »
Glad the bike is running well for you. The speedo cable would be easy to check. Just disconnect it and turn the internal line. There are plastic gears attached to the back of the clock that converts the rotary motion of the cable into the proper ratio for the speedo dial. I’d look there.

The only other possible spot for trouble  is the drive gears in the front wheel. Again, easy check. Spin the wheel, check for rotation.

Good luck.
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

bulldogboy

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 05:48:50 PM »
 (-P) good pointers steveog, will check it out when i get a minuite , thanks.

bulldogboy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:42:40 PM »
Just whipped off the cable at the wheel, the cable has snapped inside, as i took it off it fell out the end, so that explains it, are they nla, or still available?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:20:01 PM by bulldogboy »

mellorp

• Manchester
Mellion say If it ain't broke thrash it until it breaks

bulldogboy

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 09:23:57 PM »
 (-P) cheers phil, will remove the old one and compare.

thump566

• NW London, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 09:54:17 PM »
Join the club Gavin. Discovered on my second ride the speedo still not working on my R, traced it to the drive not engaging on the 2 lugs in the wheel hub, the drive its even touching them! Is it possible that the new bearings are not 'home' fully and preventing the drive lugs reaching the drive? Assuming the drive is the correct part  ?:-|

The bearing that side of thee wheel sits a couple of mm proud within the wheel hub, can anyone confirm that is correct or perhaps that is the issue?
Suggestions welcomed  :-\
Still a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

bulldogboy

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 11:05:43 PM »
could your problem be at the clocks end as steveog suggests? I just ordered a second hand cable off ebay for 11 quid.

Steveog

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 02:36:06 AM »
Bulldog. Checking whether cable binding at the clocks is a simple test. Just put a needle nose plier on the drive input and gently turn. If bound up, then that’s what caused the cable failure.

That said, I doubt that those plastic gears in the clock could overwhelm the steel of the cable. Look at the drive coming off the front wheel.

Physics is our friend. The momentum of the bike moving forward, driving the rotational force of the steel worm gears in the wheel is far more powerful than the binding of the plastic gears at the clock.

I have the speedo drive gears from the front wheel, the cable and plastic speedo gears from the clock, if you’re interested. I also have the speedo itself, but mine doesn’t have the stock “speed restrictor” collar.

PM if you want any of my “take-offs”.

Good luck.
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

thump566

• NW London, UK
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 08:31:54 AM »
could your problem be at the clocks end as steveog suggests? I just ordered a second hand cable off ebay for 11 quid.
have checked speedo by turning cable and get movement. The drive at the wheel is definitely not engaging with the two lugs as it doesn't sit close enough. Will investigate if the replacement bearing installation is causing it. Apologies jumping on your thread but thought, another speedo issue.
Still a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

bulldogboy

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »
No worries (-P) Its all relevant Ron, how are those drive gears wheel end remived? Im hoping my issue is just wear and tearvon the old cable.   Steveog, P.M sent

bulldogboy

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »
Second hand cable turned up from flea-bay, connected clocks end and revolved inner cable, needle on speedo flickered slightly , so I presume clocks end ok, connected wheel end, but havnt got time to ride till the weekend to test speedo operation, but hopefully fixed for £11. (-P)

Hoatso

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 02:18:37 PM »
It’s a good idea to pull the inner cable out, clean and grease it, and put it back in before it breaks.

bulldogboy

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
 (-P)thanks hoatso, i oiled it, wasnt aware it came out, but now youve told me that ill remove it and grease it.cheers.