Author Topic: R1Z 250 brown liquid out from the exhuast exit  (Read 2935 times)

Nuno Gonçalves

• two stroke rules
R1Z 250 brown liquid out from the exhuast exit
« on: November 01, 2019, 11:09:52 PM »
Hi everyone, today finally completed my r1z carbs assembly.
The bike came to me in February with some issues, one is, even after cleaning with caustic soda the expansion chambers interior, and putted brand new end cans, one minute after fired it up became again like some drops of brown water in the end cans exit.
I' ve putted new exhaust gaskets and seals, the oil pump is working, and the clutch oil is ok, no strange colors on it.
The coolant still green, but seams like tha radiator interior was a little bit oiled, i had changed the coolant a few mounths ago, but the bike has not yet rolled in my hands. She has 32.000 kms, and was kinde like a virgin, never been anything touched or open, even the air filter never been changed, it was all in pieces throu the carburators (that were very very dirty) and inlet intake, and of course, in the motor interior....
Have any one had same thing with this motors, i meean the brown water in the exhaust exit, maybe tzr 1k or tdr 250 guys, anyone had this expirience, what could it be?
None of my others two strokes have this symptom...
Any ideas or help is welcome. Thank you

busa1300

Re: R1Z 250 brown liquid out from the exhuast exit
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 01:09:25 AM »
The only way you could get water into the exhaust would be a leaking head or base gasket.....as far as I have ever seen at least.
I had water in my transmission after my water pump seal went bad in my 3XV2.....
Smoking for over 35 years.
TZR250SP...3XV2
RZ350-RZV500R where it started and why
RGV250 VJ21L-VJ22FL-VJ22N-VJ23T MotoGP street fun
RS250 Track day
KD80 cherry popper - JR50 for the kids - and a pile of GT750J parts

Steveog

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:37:23 PM »
Hi, Nuno.

Just a thought: How long ago did you use caustic soda to clean your pipes? The process requires plugging the stinger end, dumping the soda/hot water into the header end of the pipe and letting it work. Its quite possible that brown water is left over from the caustic soda treatment. Expansion chambers have many seams and crevices that could account for that bit of water and suspended carbon you're seeing on your pipe's tips.

A few heat cycles should clear it all. But, if you're worried about running it, pull the pipes and attach a leaf blower to the header end with some duct tape and let it rip. That would clear out any excess water/gunk. Wouldn't harm anything, either.

Steve 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:09:25 PM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:30:24 PM »
Steveog, I will need to clean my pipes out at some point, what are the ratios of caustic soda to water, and how long should it be left? over night?

Steveog

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 02:52:53 AM »
The ratios are available on the web and the packaging. I really don’t remember.

Yes, overnight seemed to work well for me.

Some say to do the process more than once, but on my old dirt bike one treatment was enough.

Beware, this stuff is nasty. When the process first starts don’t be within 20 feet of the pipe. I hid behind a tree thinking it would blow up. HA.

I used a professional grip stand to hold the pipe. Plugged the stinger with a potato. It worked, but destroyed some of the chrome on the stand.

Just be careful.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:16:30 PM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

bulldogboy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »
Sounds pretty savage, will proceed with caution cheers :P :o

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
Sounds pretty savage, will proceed with caution cheers :P :o

Yup, PPE guidelines recommended, ventilation, gloves, eyewear etc. :o
Forever a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

Steveog

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 08:17:32 PM »
Thump is absolutely right. Use all the safety gear. I recommend being out doors away from anything that you value. Be sure to place yourself up-wind during the early stages of the reaction. No. It does not blow up, but it will shake and boil over at the beginning.

Even though caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) sounds extreme, it's a much better technique than igniting the carbon with a gasoline and a welding torch.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ifUyvi17B4

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hod73pCEYXY

Plan on how to deal with the sludge that will result. A metal can that can be sealed would be a good idea.

Good luck

Steve

abar121

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »
The Caustic soda will also attack anything aluminium, like silencer rivets!

OP, I can't really see water coming out of the exhaust ports and the bike still running.  It must be some left over liquid from your cleaning.

You can get oily dripping out of the exhausts though, if it's running really oily and not cleared out. 

I had this with an RMX250 where oil was dripping out of the silencer, right onto the rear disk.

Steveog

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 11:17:50 PM »
Thanks, abar121. Yes, caustic soda eats aluminum and even chrome plating. Thus the reason to get the pipe to be cleaned away from all your other stuff. The process is safer outdoors.

I should have been more clear about pulling the silencer before plugging the stinger, although the interior of the end can is usually steel and can be cleaned with soda if the silencer is dissembled.

Also, be sure to take off the flange on the exhaust end. It's probably aluminum.

Nuno Gonçalves

• two stroke rules
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 11:32:29 PM »
Hi guys, thank you all for your oppinions and sugestions.
I really am trying to see if this is not serioully bad, kind a faillure gasket, or worst, a broken cylinder.
I did the caustic soda cleaning about 2 mounths ago, so i think it is allready dry.
Recentlly i cleaned tha carburators with ultrasound and they are much better.
I allready did 3 heat cycles in the garage, because i'm waiting for a new chain. Today in the last one, only one end can became a little brow liquid in the tip, justo a little bit, that i cleaned. Than bouth became very dry, what is strange is that after this 3 cycles no oil in the exhaust ends yet, so i oppened a little bit the oil pump, and put a bit of oil in the tank, witch is middle with gas. Tomorow will see if it is oiled or not...
Another strange thing, after cleaned the carburators, the bike starts fine first time, but after choke closed, seams to strogle to go up from 1500 rpm idling until 3000 rpm, in special when hot; after reach 3000 rpm, she goes very fast and good until 10/11, with no gaps or holes, like no problem. The spark plugs are new, so no collor yet.
BUT if i close one of the entries in the air filter box, than she runs fine in lower rpm´s, and goes from idling untel 7000/8000 with no gap, so i assume perhaps i have too much air entering in the engine in lower's rpm, or low gas, maybe a small pilot jet (it's all original inside the carburetors... Any ideas or oppinions are wellcome, please. I am about 500 meters upper the sea level, medium 20 degres celsius temperature, not much humithity, and gasoline is 98 octans. Thank you all for your help. Regards