Author Topic: My 2 stroke addiction  (Read 542 times)

busa1300

My 2 stroke addiction
« on: December 01, 2019, 02:42:03 PM »
Been hooked since 1985 when i bought my RZ350
This is the bike that ultimately brought me here....

After twisting the crank....full Spec II stage 3 port/head work

Dymags...

Then finally removed the 1980's ZZ top style paint job and recommissioned it for it's 30th birthday

Smoking for over 35 years.
TZR250SP...3XV2
RZ350-RZV500R where it started and why
RGV250 VJ21L-VJ22FL-VJ22N-VJ23T MotoGP street fun
RS250 Track day
KD80 cherry popper - JR50 for the kids - and a pile of GT750J parts

busa1300

Re: My 2 stroke addiction
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »
It wasn't until 2008 that I felt a need for a more modern stroker.
I wanted to do track days.....I could go fast in a straight line with my Hayabusa all day long....but I wanted to learn how to turn better.
I thought a RS250 Cup bike would do the trick

It needed a bit of attention before it could be used...

Finally my very first track day....

The addiction bit me hard....and the Aprilia connection with the RGV naturally brought more of the same into the garage.

TZR250SP...3XV2
RS250 Track day

busa1300

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 03:40:52 PM »
After buying the RS250, I wanted to try and dig up as many spares for the engine as possible.
This is when I realized the the VJ22 was the same basic thing, and found a guy who had a shed with some hidden treasure.
Unable to get titles for the bikes, he decided he was going to part them out on Ebay....I said...I'll take the whole bike
Came home with two...

This is where the learning curve really had to kick in....and trying to get through misinformation on the bikes, and the use of forums.
It also helped me find auctions.yahoo....which is where all my fortune has been spent ever since....

I started a complete rebuild of the mismatched Australian market VJ22, with a VJ21 engine....got a good start on getting the bike straightened out.

But the sad fact is, I continued to put other projects in front of it.....and it's fate is still unknown.

The NSR R5K that I bought at the same time as the RGV, was a good runner, but had yet to get proper connections on Japanese parts. So I ended up selling it to a collector in California.

TZR250SP...3XV2
RS250 Track day

busa1300

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 04:28:30 PM »
The biggest reason I sold the NSR was.....I had found another stroker I wanted more.
The guy who had the shed of treasure, where I found the RGV and the NSR, had more that I wanted.
It took about 5 years of contact back and forth, but was able to convince him to sell off the rest of his RGV bits to me.
A genuine home market VJ22FL (dry clutch SP) and a Australian market VJ21L......and some spares he had collected.

Obviously both bikes needed considerable effort to make useful again...
The VJ22FL was my main priority, and researched high and low for the exact correct parts to bring it back as once was.
Still not done, but is a great runner, and is presentable for now.

The VJ21L has yet to be rebuilt.
But after 6 years of collecting bits for it, the time has come to start fresh and do a frame up on it....and hopefully have it ready for Bonneville salt flats

The VJ21 is now stripped down to the bare frame, and getting it ready for some soda blasting....

« Last Edit: Today at 03:33:31 AM by busa1300 »
TZR250SP...3XV2
RS250 Track day

busa1300

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 03:03:00 AM »
While looking for parts for the VJ22FL / SP I started making more contact with Spongebob / Naomi.
She was starting to sell complete bikes on occasion, and I had told her I would be interested in a VJ23 if she ever found one good enough to keep in one piece.
One day she emailed me some pics with a reasonable price.....while I was on my wedding/honeymoon vacation out of the country. :o
Looking at only my phone to see the pics, I said lets do it.....and made financial arrangements as soon as I got back home.

She boxed it up in two crates...one with the engine, the other with the rest of the bike in pieces.
This was done to get through EPA/DOT, as the bike was not 25 years old.

After a considerable amount of work and $$$ I completed the bike, and love it like no other bike before it.

TZR250SP...3XV2
RS250 Track day

busa1300

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 03:25:27 AM »
As much as I loved my VJ23...the only reason I got it was because I could not afford the bike I really wanted...
A home market aluminum frame RZV500R....

I had a 72 Suzuki GT750J that I brought back to life sitting collecting dust.
One day I posted on a forum I was ready to sell it because I was ready to capture my dream bike (RZV500R)
Two days later I got a text from a guy who was visiting family in Michigan, but lived in the UK.
The next day he came and bought the bike and took it back to his familys house to box it up for his trip home.
My wife was sad, as it was her favorite bike to ride on.

After it was gone it was time to start the search for a RZV
After about 4 months I finally found one that had not been touched by anyone....somewhat neglected actually...but all complete and clean.
The week of Christmas I bought it...and Spongebob got it to her shop

This bike almost broke me....financially and mentally.... but I never completely gave up on it, and after over a year...it was done.

TZR250SP...3XV2
RS250 Track day

Steveog

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 11:34:52 PM »
Love the GT-750. The added, accessories are nice, too. I had the very first version of that bike. Blew two stators, but was a rock otherwise. It took me to Cape Kennedy and back about this time of year in 1972 to witness the launch of Apollo 17. Mine was that Metallic Candy-Purple, too.

Smooth and reasonably powerful. Wonderful exhaust note. Double, dual-drum front brakes. Handled great with Continental Tyres. The stock rubber sucked.

Traded it for the first Toyota mini-pick-up to be imported to the US. Used it to transport a TM-250 motocross bike. A few street oriented 2-T's followed until Kawasaki built the GPZ-550. Stayed with GSXR's and R-1's until the 3xv came available two years ago.

Yours is a great story with gorgeous pics by the way.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.

busa1300

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 03:22:22 AM »
Thanks Steve  (-P)
Yea, my GT had the 4LS front brakes....it was the only year they had them.
Mine was built 10-71 so it was one of the first ones out.
Found it in a dirt floor horse barn with a big fairing and huge chrome rear rack...
When I hauled it home, my wife though I lost my mind....until I cleaned it up back to original.
It was a smooth sweet back road cruiser...the most relaxed riding position I have ever had.
Glad you got to experience a little bit of life on one  :)

This was right after I got it running, and took it to the Chicago 1st annual Motoblot (previously mods vs rockers event)
Its still on their web site advertising their events

100% original...including paint.... (except seat)

TZR250SP...3XV2
RS250 Track day

busa1300

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 04:40:32 AM »
The loss of the GT was worth it, as the RZV can be a smooth backroads cruiser as well, depending on my right wrist.
And I had thought that I could now ride off into the sunset satisfied that I had all the strokers I needed....

Yea right..............

I had been watching TZR 3MAs and 3XVs while searching for the RZV.
The more I looked at them and researched them, the more I wanted one.
The torture I put myself through with the RZV was resolved after the first ride, and I had no intention of working on anything for the rest of the year.....
...... But then my 3XV2 came up for auction at a 100,000 yen starting price..... just for the hell of it I asked Naomi if she could bid for me....
......and I fell right back into the black hole of 2 stroke addiction.... I had to have it after finding how original it still was.

From her shop after she got it...

Into my garage....
Needing a little attention to come back to life, as it was advertised as a non runner.
I was happy to find out it was a few simple fixes.....although it still needs a complete rebuild at some point in the near future.
It will have to wait until my VJ21 is done now.
So here it will sit in running condition, so I can enjoy riding it while I keep collection bits to build it up properly.

I have a better tail section on it now since these pics were taken

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 04:45:33 AM by busa1300 »
TZR250SP...3XV2
RS250 Track day

Scotty4321

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 12:24:11 AM »
Nice story and collection.
The VJ22 looks lovely one of the best looking 250s I think. I had the unpopular black and purple which was mint, I loved it. I just don't like the look of either the 21s or 23s (although they are the closest 250 to a race bike and technically the most advanced).
Think the 3xv2 is also a wicked bike, even though I have had some fun getting mine right. Looking forward to the rest of your story on yours.
Cheers Scotty

busa1300

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 01:09:12 AM »
Thanks Scotty  (-P)
I like looking at all of them....kind of like going to a strip joint and trying to decide which girl to spend $$$ on.....  :o
Hope to get some entertainment out of the TZR this next year. Will rebuild all brake components along with new lines and pads.
And then try to get the 3XV-80 dialed in with the SPR airbox rubbers....I want to try and get bike dialed in before I rebuild, that way if I screw up and have a melt down, it won't matter as much as I will have all new parts to rebuild waiting.
TZR250SP...3XV2
RS250 Track day

rvt2002

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 12:43:49 PM »
We should do trackdays in midwest. ACC north in Joliet  will be fun.

busa1300

« Reply #12 on: Today at 02:24:29 AM »
That is a couple hours away from me, so it would be possible.  (-P)
I had the RS dynoed end of last year just to make sure it would be running OK this year for some track time....but it never happened  :'(
Sad to say it has been well over 10+ years since I have been out on a track with it.....up and down the street a few times to make sure it still could run though.
If I can get my VJ21 Bonneville project done early enough, I may be able to do a few track days this year with the RS or VJ21.

The RS out in the sun.....a rare occasion.

TZR250SP...3XV2
RS250 Track day

Steveog

« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:13:43 AM »
Busa - I’ve been around the spectrum of sport bikes and street riding for over 50 years. Now, six months from being 70, I’ve finally discovered the only way to appreciate the precision of the early ‘90’s 2T’s is on a track.

Your RS 250 Aprilla is perfect for the track, but so is practically every 2T in your beautiful collection.

Enter as a novice. Follow the leader. Pass only on the straights. Exploit the edge of all you’ve developed. Go fast. Have fun.

Respectfully, Steve.

Putnam is a great track, join us down there in 2020.

Look forward to meeting you.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the greatest game of all.