Author Topic: Yambits oil seal kit.  (Read 1545 times)

Mojoracinguk

Yambits oil seal kit.
« on: December 02, 2019, 10:33:40 PM »
Hey there,

I'm looking at getting quite a few of the oil seals for the gear box and crank whilst I'm rebuilding the bike so...... I'm thinking 'just by a kit' rather than individual seals. Are the yambits kits any good?
I see a few people have used them so, do they last well?

Steveog

Re: Yambits oil seal kit.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 11:22:28 PM »
Can't speak to yambits, but if you have a local bearing company of any size near you, they will probably have many of the pattern seals your seeking. The seals have their size markings on the outside rim. Its a 3 digit sequence defining OD/ID and thickness. My experience has been that these seals are of high quality, but not moto-specific, so you're not paying for the OEM name brand. Plus, no shipping fees.

Good luck.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

Dave1w

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 12:01:59 AM »
Over time, I’ve seen people always recommend to use genuine Yamaha for the crank seals at least

Mojoracinguk

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 01:08:31 AM »
Cheers both,
Yes I've contacted the local suppliers and they will not accept the code for the crank seals. I'll have to take them in personally.

This is why I was looking for the 'kit' option.

But if folks are whispering to use genuine yam crank seals, then I would say it Warrants them. 🙄 💷 💷 💷

As for the rest, I'll go local 👍

busa1300

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 01:15:27 AM »
I guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping the bike.
If it's a long term keeper.....then the few $$$ you save on cheaper seals might bite you at some point.
Smoking for over 35 years.
TZR250SP...3XV2
RZ350-RZV500R where it started and why
RGV250 VJ21L-VJ22FL-VJ22N-VJ23T MotoGP street fun
RS250 Track day
KD80 cherry popper - JR50 for the kids - and a pile of GT750J parts

Steveog

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 01:26:31 AM »
Over time, I’ve seen people always recommend to use genuine Yamaha for the crank seals at least

Dave. I get your point, but thanks to recommendations of trusted members here, I ordered pattern seals from a UK company. Then, I discovered my local bearing supplier had similar products.

That said, not all pattern seals are the best answer or even possible. I know the OE water pump seal is a superior design. If we’re taking about crank seals, I bought from Yamaha.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.